Professor James Catto MB ChB PhD FRCS(Urol)
Department of Oncology & Metabolism
The Medical School
Beech Hill Road
Tel: +44 (0)114 215 9002
Fax: +44 (0)114 271 2268
James Catto is Professor in Urological Surgery at the University of Sheffield and an Honorary Consultant Urological Surgeon at Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust. He holds post as Honorary Senior Clinical Research fellow at the University of Oxford and Honorary Clinical Professor, Division of Surgery & Interventional Science, University College London. He qualified from Leeds University in 1994 and trained in York and Sheffield, UK before a fellowship in Brisbane, Australia.
James obtained a PhD in 2004 and runs a research team investigating the biology and management of urological cancers. He was awarded the European Association of Urology best thesis prize and the Bard medal from BAUS for his PhD studies. In 2007 he visited the Johns Hopkins Medical School, The University of Chicago, Loyola University and The University of California, San Francisco as an EAU-AUA exchange fellow. In 2010, he was awarded the Crystal Matula by the EAU, the Astellas Education Foundation award in 2011 and the Golden Telescope by BAUS in 2014.
James has raised over £12.5 million in peer reviewed funding, published more than 200 primary research manuscripts, has more than 10,000 citations on Google and an H factor of 45 on Scopus. His research funding includes a GSK Clinician Scientist fellowship, a MRC Clinical Research Fellowship, and grants from The Wellcome Trust, CRUK, European Union, Royal College of Surgeons, The Urological Foundation and Yorkshire Cancer Research.
James is Editor In Chief of European Urology (2016 Impact factor 17.581). Please see https://www.europeanurology.com/james-catto for further details.
James is head of the Academic Urology Unit, encompassing an NIHR Clinical Lecturers NIHR ACFs, post-docs, technicians, Research Nurses and PhD students. The team research the translational application of molecular biology to urological malignancies, in particular Bladder and Prostate Cancer, and partake in clinical trials focused on improving the care of patients with these cancers. James's particular interest is in the epigenetic alterations seen within these tumours.
James teaches undergraduate medical students weekly and organises various uro-oncology study days for post-graduate urologists and surgeons. James is an educational supervisor to three trainee urologist and PhD mentor to 8 students.
James is a member of the NCRI-CSG for Bladder and Kidney cancer, the EAU Scientific Congress Office and specialises in Uro-Oncology. He was part of the NICE Bladder Cancer Guideline development panel. James is on the Trial Steering Groups for i). Life after prostate cancer (Funded by Prostate cancer UK and Movember. ii). VANCE01 - A randomized phase I study to determine the safety and immunogenicity of ChAd-MVA vaccination compared to MVA alone with and without low dose cyclophosphamide in low and intermediate risk localised prostate cancer (Funded by European Union(, iii). POUT - A phase III randomised trial of peri-operative chemotherapy versus surveillance in upper tract urothelial cancer (Funded by CRUK), iv). BladderPath - Image directed Redesign of Bladder Cancer Treatment Pathways (Funded by NIHR-HTA), and v). CALIBER - A phase II randomised feasibility study of Chemoresection and surgicAl management in Low rIsk non muscle invasive Bladder cancer (Funded by CRUK).
James is Chief Investigator for i). The BRAVO Feasibility study - High grade Bladder cancer: A randomised controlled trial of Radical Cystectomy against intra-vesical immunotherapy (Funded by Yorkshire Cancer Research), ii). Life and Bladder Cancer: The Yorkshire Cancer Research Bladder Cancer Patient Reported Outcomes Survey. (Funded by Yorkshire Cancer Research), iii). iROC - A multicentre randomised controlled trial to compare the efficacy of Robotically Assisted Radical Cystectomy and intracorporeal urinary diversion with Open Radical Cystectomy in patients with bladder cancer (Funded by TUF), and iv). INSTIL - INvestigation of STK-01 as intra-vesical treatment for bladder cancer (Funded by CRUK).
1. Panebianco V, Narumi Y, Altun E, Bochner BH, Efstathiou JA, Hafeez S, Huddart R,Kennish S, Lerner S, Montironi R, Muglia VF, Salomon G, Thomas S, Vargas HA, Witjes JA, Takeuchi M, Barentsz J, Catto JWF. Multiparametric Magnetic Resonance Imaging for Bladder Cancer: Development of VI-RADS (Vesical Imaging-Reporting And Data System). Eur Urol. 2018 Sep;74(3):294-306.
2. Mason SJ, Catto JWF, Downing A, Bottomley SE, Wright P and Glaser AW.. Evaluating Patient Reported Outcome Measures (PROMs) for bladder cancer: a systematic review using the COSMIN checklist. BJU Int 2018: In press
3. Mason SJ, Downing A, Wright P, Hounsome L, Bottomley SE, Corner J, Richards M, Catto JWF and Glaser AW.. Health-related quality of life after treatment for bladder cancer in England. Br J Cancer 2018: In press
4. Catto JWF, Khetrapal P, Ambler G, Sarpong R, Khan S, Tan M, Feber A, Dixon S, Goodwin L, Williams NR, Rowe E, Kouparis A, McGrath J, Brew-Graves C and Kelly JD. Robot Assisted Radical Cystectomy with intracorporeal urinary diversion versus Open Radical Cystectomy (iROC): protocol for a randomised controlled trial with internal feasibility study. BMJ Open 2018: In press
5. Catto JWF, Khetrapal P, Ambler G, Sarpong R, Potyka I, Khan S, Tan M, Feber A, Bourke L, Noon AP, Dixon S, Goodwin L, Williams NR, Rowe E, Kouparis A, McGrath J, Brew-Graves C and Kelly JD. Multi-domain quantitative recovery following Radical Cystectomy for patients within the iROC (Robot Assisted Radical Cystectomy with intracorporeal urinary diversion versus Open Radical Cystectomy) Randomised Controlled Trial: The first 30 patients. Eur Urol. 2018 May 21. pii: S0302-2838(18)30356-7
6. Gordon PC, Thomas F, Noon AP, Rosario DJ, Catto JWF. The long-term outcomes from early re-resection in patients with high-risk non-muscle invasive bladder cancer. Eur Urol Focus. 2017 Oct 28. pii: S2405-4569(17)30241-9
7. Pang KH, Groves R, Venugopal S, Noon AP and Catto JWF. Prospective implementation of Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) protocols to Radical Cystectomy. Eur Urol. 2017 Aug 8. pii: S0302-2838(17)30660-7. doi: 10.1016/j.eururo.2017.07.031.
8. Oughton JB, Poad H, Twiddy M, Collinson M, Hiley V, Gordon K, Johnson M, Jain S, Noon AP, Chahal R, Simms M, Dooldeniya M, Koenig P, Goodwin L, Brown JM, Catto JWF; BRAVO study group. Radical Cystectomy (Bladder Removal) against intra-vesical BCG immunotherapy for high risk non-muscle invasive bladder cancer (BRAVO): Protocol for a randomised controlled feasibility study. BMJ Open. 2017 Aug 11;7(8):e017913.
9. Pang K, Rosario DP, Morgan S and Catto JWF. Evaluation of a short RNA within PCA3 in the predictive role for future cancer using non-malignant prostate biopsies. PLoS One. 2017 Apr 5;12(4):e0175070
10. Donovan JL, Hamdy FC, Lane JA, Mason M, Metcalfe C, Walsh E, Blazeby JM, Peters TJ, Holding P, Bonnington S, Lennon T, Bradshaw L, Cooper D, Herbert P, Howson J, Jones A, Lyons N, Salter E, Thompson P, Tidball S, Blaikie J, Gray C, Bollina P, Catto J, Doble A, Doherty A, Gillatt D, Kockelbergh R, Kynaston H, Paul A, Powell P, Prescott S, Rosario DJ, Rowe E, Davis M, Turner EL, Martin RM, Neal DE; ProtecT Study Group. Patient-Reported Outcomes after Monitoring, Surgery, or Radiotherapy for Prostate Cancer. N Engl J Med. 2016 Oct 13;375(15):1425-1437
11. Hamdy FC, Donovan JL, Lane JA, Mason M, Metcalfe C, Holding P, Davis M, Peters TJ, Turner E, Martin RM, Oxley J, Robinson M, Staffurth J, Bollina, P Catto J, Doble A, Doherty A, Gillatt D, Kockelbergh R, Kynaston H, Paul A, Powell P, Rosario D, Rowe E, Neal DE For the ProtecT study group. 10-Year Outcomes after Monitoring, Surgery, or Radiotherapy for Localized Prostate Cancer. N Engl J Med. 2016 Oct 13;375(15):1415-1424.
12. Cumberbatch MG, Windsor-Shellard B and Catto JWF. The contemporary landscape of occupational bladder cancer within the United Kingdom: A meta-analysis of risks over the last 80 years. BJU Int. 2017 Jan;119(1):100-109.
13. Cumberbatch MG, Rota M, Catto JWF, La Vecchia C. The Role of Tobacco Smoke in Bladder and Kidney Carcinogenesis: A Comparison of Exposures and Meta-analysis of Incidence and Mortality Risks. Eur Urol. 2015 Jul 3. pii: S0302-2838(15)00548-5. doi: 10.1016/j.eururo.2015.06.042.
14. Cumberbatch MGK, Cox A, Teare MD, and Catto JWF. Contemporary occupational bladder cancer: A systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA Oncol. 2015 Dec 1;1(9):1282-90
15. Wilson TG, Guru K, Rosen RC, Wiklund P, Annerstedt M, Bochner BH, Chan KG, Montorsi F, Mottrie A, Murphy D, Novara G, Peabody JO, Palou Redorta J, Skinner EC, Thalmann G, Stenzl A, Yuh B, Catto J. Best practices in robot-assisted radical cystectomy and urinary reconstruction: recommendations of the Pasadena Consensus Panel. Eur Urol. 2015 Mar;67(3):363-75. doi: 10.1016/j.eururo.2014.12.009. Epub 2015 Jan 9. Review.
16. Nicolas Viphakone, Marcus G. Cumberbatch, Michaela J. Livingstone, Paul R. Heath, Mark J. Dickman, Catto JWF, Stuart A. Wilson. Luzp4 Defines a New mRNA Export Pathway In Cancer Cells. Nucleic Acids Res. 2015 Feb 27;43(4):2353-66
17. Drayton RM, Rehman I, Clarke R, Zhao Z, Pang K, Miah S, Stoehr R, Hartmann A, Blizard S, Lavin M, Bryant HE, Martens-Uzunova ES, Jenster G, Hamdy FC, Gardiner RA and Catto JWF. Identification and diagnostic performance for prostate cancer of a small RNA within the PCA3 primary transcript. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2015 Jan;24(1):268-75.
18. Peters S, Borkowska E, Drayton RM, Chen W and Catto JWF. Long non-coding RNA expression in bladder cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2014 Oct 15;20(20):5311-21 (Selected as the front cover image)
19. J-B Cazier, RS Rao, CM Brideau, BJ Wright, EEM Jaeger, L Marsden, C Yau, The Oxford-Illumina WGS500 Consortium, JW Catto, IPM Tomlinson, Kiltie AE, Hamdy FC. Whole-genome sequencing of bladder cancers reveals somatic CDKN1A mutations and clinicopathological associations with mutation burden. Nat Commun. 2014 Apr 29;5:3756.
20. Drayton RM, Bryant HE, Dudziec E, Bertz S, Wilson S, Lehmann J, Stöckle M, Khan K, Hartmann A and Catto JWF. MicroRNA mediated upregulation of SLC7A11 induces to cisplatin resistance in cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2014 Apr 1;20(7):1990-2000
21. Noon A, Albertsen PC, Thomas F, Rosario DJ and Catto JWF. Competing mortality in patients diagnosed with bladder cancer: Evidence of under-treatment in the elderly and females. Br J Cancer. 2013 Apr 16;108(7):1534-40
22. Thomas F, Noon A, Rubin N, Goepel JR and Catto JWF. Comparative outcomes of primary, recurrent and progressive high-risk non-muscle invasive bladder cancer. Eur Urol. 2013 Jan;63(1):145-54. IF 10.641
For a full list of publications please visit myPublications