Professor Syed Hussain, MBBS, MSc, MD, FRCP
Professor and Consultant in Medical Oncology
Department of Oncology & Metabolism
The Medical School
Beech Hill Road
For admin assistance please contact - +44 (0)114 215 9021
I graduated from Dow Medical College Karachi in 1994 and completed my general medical professional training in UK. I did my Doctorate in Oncology at the University of Birmingham and then completed my Medical oncology training in Birmingham, United Kingdom and received my certification and specialist registration in Medical oncology.
I am Professor and Consultant in Medical Oncology at the University of Sheffield and Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust.
My major areas of interest are management of urological cancers, clinical trials, early drug development and translational medicine. I have set up a large number of clinical trials from early phase to late phase studies during my career. My work on organ preservation in bladder cancer moved all the way from an early phase I study (Hussain et al Annals of Oncology 2001), to phase II efficacy study (Hussain et al BJC 2004) that led to a Cancer Research UK funded study BC2001 trial that was reported in New England Journal of Medicine (James, Hussain, Hall et al April 2012). This study has now changed the standard of care for patients with muscle invasive bladder cancer opting for organ preservation treatment. I am principal investigator of a number of studies in urological cancers. I am chief investigator of a national randomised placebo-controlled phase II neo-adjuvant study in muscle invasive bladder cancer and have served as chief investigator of various early phase trials, and translational studies. I have authored over 90 peer-reviewed publications including 4 book chapters in textbooks of oncology and been an invited speaker to a number of national and international meetings. I have secured funding of over 10 million pounds from funding bodies.
I regularly taught pharmacology to both undergraduate and postgraduate students in my previous roles and supervised both MSc and PhD students in both their projects and research.
I am a member of the following:-
Association of Cancer Physicians (ACP)
European Society of Medical Oncology (ESMO)
American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
NCRI Blader & Renal Clinical studies group
British Medical Association
Chair of the NCRI Advanced Bladder Cancer – subgroup
1) Setting up of clinical trials in bladder cancers.
2) Early phase studies in bladder cancer.
3) Development of panel of Biomarkers in bladder cancer.
4) Translational research linked to bladder cancer clinical trials.
1. A Phase I/II Study of Synchronous Chemo radiotherapy For Poor Prognosis Locally Advanced Bladder Cancer. SA Hussain, DD Moffitt, JG Glaholm, D Peake, DMA Wallace and ND James. Annals of Oncology. 2001, 12(7):929-935.
2. Long term results of a phase II study of synchronous chemo radiotherapy in advanced muscle invasive bladder cancer. SA Hussain, DD Stocken, DR Peake, JG Glaholm, A Zarkar, DMA Wallace, ND James. British Journal of Cancer. 2004, 90(11):2106-11.
3. Radiotherapy with or without chemotherapy in muscle-invasive bladder cancer. ND James, SA Hussain, E Hall, P Jenkins, J Tremlett, C Rawlings, M Crundwell, B Sizer, T Sreenivasan and C Hendron et al. N Engl J Med. 2012 Apr 19; 366(16):1477-88.
4. A study of split dose cisplatin based neo-adjuvant chemotherapy in muscle invasive bladder cancer. SA Hussain, DH Palmer, B Lloyd, SI Collins, D Barton, J Ansari and ND James. Oncology letters. 2012; 3(4):855-859.
5. Sorafenib for Advanced Hepatocellular Carcinoma (HCC): Impact of rationing in the United Kingdom DH Palmer*, SA Hussain*, AJ Smith, D Hull, PJ Johnson and P Ross *Joint first author. Br J Cancer. 2013 Jul 23. doi: 10.1038/bjc.2013.410. [Epub ahead of print]
6. A randomized non-inferiority trial of reduced high dose volume versus standard volume radiotherapy for muscle-invasive bladder cancer: results of the BC2001 trial (CRUK/01/004). R Huddart, E Hall, SA Hussain, P Jenkins, J Tremlett, C Rawlings, M Crundwell, F Adab, D Sheehan, I Syndikus, C Hendron, R Lewis, R Waters, N James International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, physics. 2013; 87(2):261-69.
7. DNA Repair Defects and PARP Inhibition In Metastatic Prostate Cancer. J Mateo, S Carreira, S Sandhu, S Miranda, H Mossop, R Perez-Lopez, DN Rodrigues, D Robinson, A Omlin, N Tunariu, G Boysen, N Porta, P Flohr, A Gillman, I Figuereido, C Paulding, G Seed, S Jain, C Ralph, A Protheroe, SA Hussain, R Jones, T Elliot, U McGovern, D Bianchini, J Goodall, Z Zafeiriou, C Williamson, R Ferraldeschi, R Riisnaes, B Ebbs, G Fowler, D Roda, R Brough, H Pemberton, R A’Hern, A Swain, LP Kunju, R Eeles, G Attard, C Lord, M Rubin, K Knudsen, F Feng, A Chinnaiyan, E Hall and JS de Bono. N Engl J Med. 2015 Oct 29;373(18):1697-708. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1506859. PMID:26510020.
8. Clinical outcomes in patients with castrate-refractory prostate cancer (CRPC) metastatic to bone randomized in the factorial TRAPEZE trial to docetaxel with strontium-89, zoledronic acid, neither, or both (ISRCTN 12808747). Authors: N James, S Pirrie, A Pope, D Barton, L Andronis, I Goranitis, S Collins, A Daunton, S Hussain, D McLaren, J O’Sullivan, C Parker, E Porfiri, J Staffurth, A Stanley, J Wylie, S Beesley, A Birtle, J Brown, P Chakraborti, M Russell and L Billingham. JAMA Oncol. 2016; Apr;2(4):493-9. doi: 10.1001/jamaoncol.2015.5570.PMID:26794729.
9. Phase 3 study of cabozantinib in previously treated metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer (COMET-1). MR Smith, JS de Bono, CN Sternberg, S Le Moulec, S Oudard, U De Giorgi, M Krainer, AM Bergman, W Hölzer, R De Wit, M Bögemann, F Saad, G Cruciani, A Thiery-Vuillemin, S Feyerabend, K Miller, N Houede, SA Hussain, E Lam, J Polikoff, A Stenzl, P Mainwaring, DA Ramies, C Hessel, AL Weitzman and K Fizazi. J Clin Oncol. 2016 Sep 1; 34(25):3005-13. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2015.65.5597. Epub 2016 Jul 11.PMID:27400947.
10. A phase II/III, double-blind, randomised trial comparing maintenance lapatinib versus placebo after first line chemotherapy in HER1/2 positive metastatic bladder cancer patients. T Powles, RA Huddart, T Elliott, SJ Sarker, C Ackerman, R Jones R, SA Hussain, S Crabb, S Jagdev, J Chester, S Hilman, M Beresford, G Macdonald, S Santhanam, JA Frew, A Stockdale, S Hughes, D Berney and S Chowdhury. J Clin Oncol. 2017 Jan; 35(1):48-55. Epub 2016 Oct 28.
11. A Randomised Phase II study investigating pazopanib vs. weekly paclitaxel in relapsed or progressive Transitional Cell Carcinoma (TCC) of the urothelium. RJ Jones, SA Hussain, AS Protheroe, A Birtle, P Chakraborti, RA Huddart, S Jagdev, A Bahl, A Stockdale, S Sundar, SJ Crabb, J Dixon-Hughes, L Alexander, A Morris, C Kelly, J Stobo, J Paul and TJ Powles. J Clin Oncol. 2017 Jun 1; 35(16):1770-1777. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2016.70.7828. Epub 2017 Apr 12.PMID:28402747.
12. VICTOR: Vinflunine in advanced metastatic transitional cell carcinoma of the urothelium (TCCU): A retrospective analysis of the use of Vinflunine in a multi-centre real life setting as second line chemotherapy. SA Hussain, J Ansari, R Huddart, DG Power, J Lyons, J Wylie, M Vilarino-Varlela, NO Elander, R McMenemin, LM Pickering, G Faust, S Chauhan and RJ Jackson. Int J Oncol. 2017 Mar; 50(3):768-772. doi: 10.3892/ijo.2017.3847. Epub 2017 Jan 13. PMID: 28098864.
13. Inhibitor SBFI26 suppresses the malignant progression of castration-resistant PC3-M cells by competitively binding to oncogenic FABP5. W Al-Jameel, X Gou, SS Forootan, MS Al Fayi, PS Rudland, FS Forootan, J Zhang, PA Cornford, SA Hussain, and Y Ke. Oncotarget. 2017 May 9; 8(19):31041-31056. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.16055.
14. Ramucirumab plus docetaxel versus placebo plus docetaxel in patients with locally advanced or metastatic urothelial carcinoma after platinum-based therapy (RANGE): a randomised, double-blind, phase 3 trial. DP Petrylak, R de Wit, KN Chi, A Drakaki, CN Sternberg, H Nishiyama, D Castellano, SA Hussain, A Fléchon, A Bamias, EY Yu, MS van der Heijden, N Matsubara, B Alekseev, A Necchi, L Géczi, YC Ou, HS Coskun, WP Su, M Hegemann, IJ Percent, JL Lee, M Tucci, A Semenov, F Laestadius, A Peer, G Tortora, S Safina, XG Del Muro, A Rodriguez-Vida, I Cicin, H Harputluoglu, RC Widau, AM Liepa, RA Walgren, O Hamid, AH Zimmermann, KM Bell-McGuinn and T Powles. RANGE study investigators. Lancet. 2017 Nov 18; 390(10109):2266-2277. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(17)32365-6. Epub 2017 Sep 12.
15. Atezolizumab in Platinum-treated Locally Advanced or Metastatic Urothelial Carcinoma: Outcomes by Prior Number of Regimens. JL Perez-Garcia, Y Loriot, JE Rosenberg, T Powles, A Necchi, SA Hussain, R Morales-Barrera, MM Retz, G Niegisch, I Durán, C Théodore, E Grande, X Shen, J Wang, B Nelson, CL Derleth and MS van der Heijden, European urology. December 2017; DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2017.11.023.
16. Atezolizumab versus chemotherapy in patients with platinum-treated locally advanced or metastatic urothelial carcinoma (IMvigor211): a multicentre, open-label,phase 3 randomised controlled trial. T Powles, I Durán, MS van der Heijden, Y Loriot, NJ Vogelzang, U De Giorgi, S Oudard, MM Retz, D Castellano, A Bamias, A Fléchon, G Gravis, SA Hussain, T Takano, N Leng, E Kadel III, R Banchereau, PS Hegde, S Mariathasan, N Cui, X Shen, CL Derleth, MC Green and A Ravaud . Published: 18 December 2017; Lancet, DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(17)33297-X
For a full list of publications please visit myPublications