Professor Claire Lewis
Professor of Molecular & Cellular Pathology
Head, Academic Unit of Inflammation & Tumour Targeting
& Research Director, Weston Park Cancer Centre
Visiting Professor, Leiden University, The Netherlands
Department of Oncology & Metabolism
Floor E, University of Sheffield Medical School
Beech Hill Road
Tel: +44(0)114 215 9012
After completing my DPhil (PhD) in the Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics in Oxford in 1986, I held two postdoctoral positions and a Lectureship in the Medical School there before moving to join the Medical School in Sheffield in 1996. I currently hold a Personal Chair in Molecular & Cellular Pathology and head a team of pre and postdoctoral scientists in the Academic Unit of Inflammation and Tumour Targeting. I was awarded a DSc by Oxford University in 2006 for my contribution to the field of tumour inflammation research.
Our research is focused mainly on the role of inflammatory cells called macrophages in tumour progression and responses to conventional anti-cancer treatments like chemotherapy and irradiation. We have also developed ways of using these cells to target therapeutic genes and viruses to tumours. Our work was reported in the national press http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20795977, and is mainly funded by grants from Breast Cancer Now, Prostate Cancer UK, The European Union, Cancer Research UK and Team Verrico.
Acute and chronic inflammation; angiogenesis in human diseases; cancer.
- Member of the Editorial Board, Cancer Research.
- Member of the Editorial Board, Blood.
- Member of the Editorial Board, Journal of Clinical Investigation Insight.
- Member of the Editorial Board, OncoImmunology.
- Member of the Editorial Board, International Journal of Cancer.
- Associate Editor, International Journal of Experimental Pathology.
Grant Awarding Bodies
- Member, MRC Molecular & Cellular Medicines Board (April 2018 onwards).
- Member, PCUK Research Advisory Committee (October 2019 onwards).
- Member, Quinquennial Review Panel, MRC Human Immunology Unit, Oxford, Nov. 2016.
- Member, Quinquennial Review Panel, Breast Cancer Now Manchester Research Unit, Feb. 2016.
- Member, Senior Investigator Awards Committee, The Wellcome Trust, (2013).
- Member of 3 Scientific Advisory Boards: ‘Cancer Immunotherapy’, Tumour Inflammation’ and ‘Metastasis’ for the Cancer Section of EU Framework 7 (2007- present).
- Member, International Science Evaluation Panel (for biology, medicine and health), The Research Council, Norway (2011).
- Member, AACR Basic Cancer Research Grants Scientific Review Committee (2010).
- Chair, BBSRC Review Panel in Interdisciplinary Research (2005).
- MRC College of Experts - Molecular and Cellular Medicine Board, (2004-current).
- EPSRC Peer Review College (2006-2009).
- Member, Scientific Advisory Board, Breast Cancer Campaign (1999-2002)
Key Publications (recent)
- Rohwer N, Jumpertz S, Erdem M, Egners A, Warzecha KT, Fragoulis A, Kühl AA, Kramann R, Neuss S, Rudolph I, Endermann T, Zasada C, Apostolova I, Gerling M, Kempa S, Hughes R, Lewis CE, Brenner W, Malinowski MB, Stockmann M, Schomburg L, Faller W, Sansom O, Tacke F, Morkel M and Cramer T. (2019). Non-canonical HIF-1 stabilization contributes to intestinal tumorigenesis. Oncogene 38:5670-5685.
- Keklikoglou I, Cianciaruso C, Güç E, Squadrito ML, Spring LM, Tazzyman S, Lambein L, Poissonier A, Ferraro GB, Baer C, Cassara A, Guichard A, Iruela-Arispe ML, Lewis CE, Coussens LM, Bardia A, Jain RK, Pollard JW & De Palma M. (2019). Chemotherapy elicits pro-metastatic extracellular vesicles in breast cancer models. Nature Cell Biol. 21(2):190-202.
- Boussommier-Calleja A, Atiyas Y, Haase K, Headley M, Lewis CE & Kamm RD. (2019). The effects of monocytes on tumor cell extravasation in a 3D vascularized microfluidic model. Biomaterials 198:180-193.
- Lapenna A, De Palma M & Lewis CE. (2018). Perivascular macrophages in health and disease. Nature Revs Immunol. 18: 689-702.Yang M, McKay D, Pollard JW & Lewis CE. (2018). Diverse Functions of Macrophages in Different Tumor Microenvironments. Cancer Res. 78:5492-5503.
- Lewis CE, Harney AS and Pollard JW. (2016). The multifaceted role of perivascular macrophages in tumors. Cancer Cell 30:18-25.Muthana M, Kennerley AJ, Richardson J, Paul M, Murdoch C, Lunj S, Hughes R, Farrow N, Dobson J, Pankhurst Q, Lythgoe M, Wild J and Lewis CE. (2015). Use of Magnetic Resonance Targeting To Direct Cell Therapy To Target Sites In Vivo. Nature Communs. 6: 8009.
- Hughes R Qian B-Z, Rowan C, Muthana M, Keklikoglou I, Olson OC, Tazzyman S, Danson S, Addison C, Clemons M, Gonzalez-Angulo AM, Joyce JA, De Palma M, Pollard J and Lewis CE. (2015). Perivascular M2 macrophages Stimulate Tumor Relapse After Chemotherapy. Cancer Res. 75: 3479-91.
- De Palma M and Lewis CE. (2013). Macrophage regulation of tumor responses to anticancer therapies. Cancer Cell 23:277-86.Muthana M, Rodrigues SR, Chen Y-Y, Welford A, Hughes R, Tazzyman S, Essand M, Morrow F and Lewis CE. (2012). Macrophage Delivery of an Oncolytic Virus Abolishes Tumor Regrowth and Metastasis After Chemotherapy or Irradiation. Cancer Res. 73: 1-5.De Palma M and Lewis CE. (2011). Macrophages limit chemotherapy. Nature 472: 303-304.
- Welford AF, Biziato D, Coffelt SB, Nucera S, Fisher M, Pucci F, Di Serio C, Naldini L, De Palma M, Tozer GM and Lewis CE. (2011). TIE2-Expressing Macrophages Limit the Therapeutic Efficacy of the Vascular Disrupting Agent, Combretastatin A4 Phosphate. J. Clin. Invest. 121: 1969-73.
- Lewis CE and Ferrara N. (2011). Multiple Effects of Angiopoietin-2 Blockade on Tumors. Cancer Cell 19: 431-3.Owen MR, Stamper IJ, Muthana M, Richardson GW, Dobson J, Lewis CE, Byrne HM. (2011). Mathematical modelling predicts synergistic anti-tumor effects of combining a macrophage-based, hypoxia-targeted, gene therapy with chemotherapy. Cancer Res. 71: 2826-37.
- Tazzyman S, Barry ST, Ashton S, Wood P, Blakey D, Lewis CE and Murdoch C. (2011). Inhibition of neutrophil infiltration into A549 lung tumors in vitro and in vivo using a CXCR2-specific antagonist is associated with reduced tumor growth. Int. J. Cancer 129:847-58.
- Muthana M, Giannoudis A, Scott SD, Fang H-Y, Coffelt SB, Morrow FJ, Murdoch M, Burton JL, Cross N, Burke B, Mistry R, Hamdy FC, Brown NJ, Georgopoulos L, Hoskin P, Essand M, Lewis CE* & Maitland NJ.* (2011). Use of Macrophages to Target Therapeutic Adenovirus to Human Prostate Tumors. Cancer Res. 71:1805-15. [* joint senior authors].
- Coffelt SB, Chen YY, Muthana M, Welford AF, Tal AO, Scholz A, Plate KH, Reiss Y Murdoch C, De Palma M and Lewis CE. (2011). Angiopoietin-2 stimulates Tie2-expressing monocytes to suppress T cell activation and promote regulatory T cell expansion. J. Immunol. 186:4183-90.
- Coffelt SB, Tal OA, Scholz A, De Palma M, Patel S, Urbich C, Biswas SK, Murdoch C, Plate K, Reiss Y and Lewis CE. (2010). Angiopoietin-2 regulates gene expression in Tie2-expressing monocytes and augments their inherent pro-angiogenic functions. Cancer Res. 70:5270-80.
- Coffelt SB, Lewis CE, Naldini L, Brown JM, Ferrara N and De Palma M. (2010). Elusive identities and overlapping phenotypes of pro-angiogenic myeloid cells in tumors. Am. J. Pathol. 176:1564-76.
- Fang H-Y, Hughes R, Murdoch C, Coffelt S, Biswas SK, Harris AL, Johnson RS, Imityaz HZ, Simon MC, Fredlund E, Greten R, Rius J and Lewis CE. (2009). Hypoxia inducible factors 1 and 2 are important transcriptional effectors in primary macrophages experiencing hypoxia. Blood. 114:844-59.
- Hagemann T, Biswas SK, Lawrence T, Sica A and Lewis CE. (2009). Regulation of macrophage function in tumors: the multifaceted role of NF-kB. Blood. 113:3139-46.
- Murdoch C, Muthana M, Coffelt S and Lewis CE. (2008). The Role of Myeloid Cells in the Promotion of Tumour Angiogenesis. Nature Reviews Cancer. 8:618-31.
- Muthana M, Scott SD, Farrow N, Morrow F, Murdoch C, Grubb S, Brown NJ, Dobson J & Lewis CE. (2008). A novel magnetic approach to enhance the efficacy of cell-based gene therapies. Gene Therapy. 15:902-10.
For a full list of publications please visit myPublications