Professor Lynda Wyld (BMedSci, MBChB, PhD, FRCS(Gen Surg)
Department of Oncology & Metabolism
The Medical School
Beech Hill Road
Telephone: +44 (0) 114 215 9066
Academic Secretary: +44 (0) 114 215 9023
Fax: +44 (0) 114 271 3314
Undergraduate Education: University of Sheffield Medical School, graduated in 1990.
PhD: University of Sheffield, 1990.
Surgical Training: Basic surgical training in Leeds.
Higher Surgical Training in Sheffield, Nottingham and Manchester.
Appointed Consultant and Senior Lecturer 2002 at the University of Sheffield.
Current post: Professor of Surgical Oncology at University of Sheffield, Honorary Consultant Breast Surgeon, the Jasmine Breast Centre, Doncaster
Chief Investigator (jointly with Malcolm Reed) for the Age Gap multicentre trial to establish optimal care pathways for older women with breast cancer. The study is looking at cancer outcomes relative to treatment selection and how this is influenced by patient variation in health and fitness. The study is also undertaking detailed review of quality of life in older women and is developing a validating a series of decision tools for breast cancer treatment choices in older women in collaboration with experts at the University of Cardiff. The study group is also undertaking modelling of cancer outcomes in this age group in collaboration with the team at SCHARR. Via a longstanding collaboration with experts at Sheffield Hallam University a number of qualitative and mixed methods studies are ongoing looking at various aspects of breast cancer and familial breast cancer risks.
Undergraduate teaching of breast diseases at the University of Sheffield.
Chair of the Education and Training Committee of the European Society of Surgical Oncology (ESSO).
Chair of the European Union of Medical Specialists (UEMS) Surgical Oncology exam board.
Secretary of the UEMS breast examination board.
- Professor of Surgical Oncology
- Honorary Consultant Surgeon, The Jasmine Breast Centre, Doncaster
- President of the British Association for Surgical Oncology
- Board Member of the European Society of Mastology (EUSOMA) 2015-2019.
- Breast cancer in older women: cancer outcomes, risk prediction model development and validation, decision support, quality of life, outcome modelling
- Psychosocial outcomes for women with familial high breast cancer risk
- Epigenetic modifiers of the BRCA gene promotor in collaboration with Professor Angie Cox
Key Publications [not a full list, just key outputs]
- Hind D, Wyld L, Beverley CB, Reed MW. Surgery versus primary endocrine therapy for operable primary breast cancer in elderly women (70 years plus). The Cochrane Database of Systemic Reviews, (2006), Issue 1. Art No.: CD004272. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD004272.pub2.
- Hind D, Ward S, De Nigris E, Simpson E, Carroll C and Wyld L. (2007). Hormonal therapies for early breast cancer: systemic review and economic evaluation. Health Technologies Assessment, 2007, 11(26), 1-152
- Hussain LS, Collins K, Reed MR and Wyld L. (2008). Choices in cancer treatment: a qualitative study of the older women's (.70 years) perspective. Psycho-Oncology, 17 (4), 410-416.
- Scriven P, Coulson S, Haines R, Balasubramanian S, Cross SS and Wyld L. Activation and clinical significance of the un folded protein response in breast cancer. British Journal of Cancer, 2009, e Pub.
- Collins K, Winslow M, Robinson TG, Madan JJ, Reed MW and Wyld L. The views of older women towards mammographic screening. BJC 2010 in press
For a full list of publications please see myPublications