School of Health and Related Research
Full contact details
School of Health and Related Research
The Innovation Centre
After completing a BSc in Mathematics and an MSc in Statistics and Management Science at the University of the West of England, Bristol, I began my career as a clinical trial statistician. Firstly, at Bangor University before moving over to The University of Sheffield. I have a range of experience designing and analysing clinical trials as well as other study designs. I also work ad-hoc for the Research Design Service where I offer general study design advice as well as specific statistical aspects such as sample size calculations.
I started an ESRC White Rose funded doctoral fellowship with an MA in Social Research followed by the PhD project which started in October 2021.
- BSc in Mathematics (University of the West of England)
- MSc in Statistics and Management Science (University of the West of England)
- MA in Social Research (University of Sheffield)
- Research interests
PhD Title: How can benefit-risk methods be used when setting the non-inferiority margin within non-inferiority clinical trials to account for the benefit of a secondary outcome of importance?
My PhD project combines my research interests of non-inferiority clinical trials and benefit-risk assessment. Other research interests of mine are pilot and feasibility studies as well as the importance of including patients and the public within research and the difficulties surrounding this.
This person does not have any publications available.
- Development of an inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) Patient‐Reported Experience Measure (PREM): A patient‐led consensus work and ‘think aloud’ study for a quality improvement programme. Health Expectations. View this article in WRRO
- Corrigendum to “Using a learning health system to understand the mismatch between medicines supply and actual medicines use among adults with cystic fibrosis” [J Cyst Fibros (2022), 21/2, 323-331]. Journal of Cystic Fibrosis.
- Prospectively predicting Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection/s using routine data from the UK cystic fibrosis register. Health Science Reports, 4(4). View this article in WRRO
- Using a learning health system to understand the mismatch between medicines supply and actual medicines use among adults with cystic fibrosis. Journal of Cystic Fibrosis. View this article in WRRO
- Real-world adherence among adults with cystic fibrosis is low – a retrospective analysis of the CFHealthHub digital learning health system. Chest. View this article in WRRO
- Effect of exercise interventions on health-related quality of life after stroke and transient ischemic attack: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Stroke. View this article in WRRO
- Utilising benefit-risk assessments within clinical trials—a protocol for the BRAINS project. Trials, 22. View this article in WRRO
- Protocol for a cluster randomised controlled trial of the DAFNEplus (Dose Adjustment for Normal Eating) intervention compared with 5x1 DAFNE : a lifelong approach to promote effective self-management in adults with type 1 diabetes. BMJ Open, 11(1). View this article in WRRO
- BowelScope: Accuracy of Detection Using Endocuff Optimisation of Mucosal Abnormalities (the B-ADENOMA Study): a multicentre, randomised controlled flexible sigmoidoscopy trial. Gut, 69(11), 1959-1965.
- Correction to: Sample size estimation for randomised controlled trials with repeated assessment of patient-reported outcomes: what correlation between baseline and follow-up outcomes should we assume?. Trials, 20(1).
- Sample size estimation for randomised controlled trials with repeated assessment of patient-reported outcomes : what correlation between baseline and follow-up outcomes should we assume?. Trials, 20(1). View this article in WRRO
- Improved adenoma detection with Endocuff Vision: the ADENOMA randomised controlled trial. Gut, 68(2), 280-288.
- Mixed methods process evaluation of an enhanced community-based rehabilitation intervention for elderly patients with hip fracture. BMJ Open, 8(8). View this article in WRRO
- The B-ADENOMA study: Bowelscope – Accuracy of detection using endocuff optimisation of mucosal abnormalities: Study protocol for randomised controlled trial. Endoscopy International Open, 06(07), E872-E877. View this article in WRRO
- Hip fracture in the elderly multidisciplinary rehabilitation (FEMuR) feasibility study: Testing the use of routinely collected data for future health economic evaluations. Pilot and Feasibility Studies, 4(1). View this article in WRRO
- Trial of Optimal Personalised Care After Treatment - Gynaecological Cancer (TOPCAT-G): A randomized feasibility trial. International Journal of Gynecological Cancer, 28(2), 401-411. View this article in WRRO
- Trial of Optimal Personalised Care After Treatment for Gynaecological cancer (TOPCAT-G): a study protocol for a randomised feasibility trial. Pilot and Feasibility Studies, 2(1). View this article in WRRO
- Fracture in the Elderly Multidisciplinary Rehabilitation (FEMuR): a phase II randomised feasibility study of a multidisciplinary rehabilitation package following hip fracture. BMJ Open, 6(10). View this article in WRRO
- Patient preferences and current practice for adults with steroid-resistant ulcerative colitis: POPSTER mixed-methods study. Health Technology Assessment, 26(41), 1-118.
- Developing a multidisciplinary rehabilitation package following hip fracture and testing in a randomised feasibility study: Fracture in the Elderly Multidisciplinary Rehabilitation (FEMuR). Health Technology Assessment, 21(44), 1-528. View this article in WRRO
Conference proceedings papers
- P97 Management of steroid resistant ulcerative colitis – a national survey of UK practice. Posters
- NOBODY LEFT BEHIND: THE UK NATIONAL EQUITY INDICATOR USING REAL TIME DATA FROM THE CFHEALTHHUB DIGITAL LEARNING HEALTH SYSTEM TO UNDERSTAND THE REACH OF SELF-CARE SUPPORT ACROSS ADULT CENTRES. PEDIATRIC PULMONOLOGY, Vol. 55 (pp S319-S319)
- MRC-NIHR Methodology guideline development on utilising benefit-risk assessments within clinical trials. Trials, Vol. 20(Supplement 1) (pp 93-93). Brighton, UK, 6 October 2019 - 9 October 2019. View this article in WRRO
- OTU-01 The B-ADENOMA trial: a multicentre, randomised controlled trial of adenoma detection with endocuff vision. Endoscopy
- ePS5.05 Understanding objective adherence to preventative inhaled therapies at a centre level for quality improvement - a CFHealthHub (CFHH) improvement collaborative study.
- Teaching activities
I have previous tutored on HAR6036 – Application of Statistics in the Medical and Health Sciences, HAR6045 – Further Statistics for Health Science Researchers and Critical Numbers.
I have supervised Masters projects as well as ran Research Attachment projects for the Intercalated Medical Students.