ScHARR Technology Assessment Group
The School of Health and Related Research's Technology Assessment Group (ScHARR-TAG) synthesises research on the clinical effectiveness and cost effectiveness of healthcare interventions for the NIHR Health Technology Assessment Programme on behalf of a range of policy makers.
We are a dedicated team including experienced economic modellers, systematic reviewers, statisticians, information specialists and project managers and have produced technology assessment reports since 2000.
The ScHARR Technology Assessment Group (ScHARR-TAG) is part of a wider collaboration who undertake reviews for National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) and National Institute for Health Research (NIHR). These are some of the topics that we have worked on with them so far:
- Multiple Technology Appraisals (MTAs)
- Non Bisphospenates for Osteoporosis. Review of (TA160, TA161, TA204) [ID901].
- Single Technology Appraisals (STAs)
- Isatuximab with pomalidomide and dexamethasone for treating relapsed or refractory multiple myeloma [ID1477]
- Tafamidis for treating transthyretin amyloid cardiomyopathy [ID1531]
- Gilteritinib for treating relapsed or refractory acute myeloid leukaemia [ID1484]
- Crisaborole for treating mild to moderate atopic dermatitis in people aged 2 years and older [ID1195].
- Trifluridine–tipiracil for treating metastatic gastric or gastro-oesophageal junction cancer after 2 or more therapies [ID1507].
- Diagnostic Assessment Reports (DARs)
- The EndoPredict multigene test for guiding therapy decisions in breast cancer management 16/30/03.
- Fast Track Assessments (FTAs)
- Highly Specialised Technologies (HSTs)
- HTA TARs
- Multiple Technology Appraisals (MTAs)
- Cabozanitinib and vandatinib for advanced or metastatic medullary thyroid cancer [ID56].
- Dexamethasone intravitreal implant and sirolimus for treating chronic non-infectious posterior segment uveitis [ID763].
- Bisphosphonates for preventing osteoporotic fragility fractures [ID782].
- Adalimumab, etanercept, infliximab, certolizumab pegol and golimumab for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. Review of TA130, TA186 and TA225 [ID537].
- Infliximab, adalimumab and golimumab for the treatment of second line sub-acute manifestations ulcerative colitis [TA329] (12/51/01).
- Percutaneous vertebroplasty and percutaneous balloon kyphoplasty for the treatment of osteoporotic vertebral fractures: a systematic review and cost-effectiveness analysis [TA279] (10/122/01).
- Colistimethate sodium powder and tobramycin powder for inhalation for the treatment of chronic Pseudomonas aeruginosa lung infection in cystic fibrosis: systematic review and economic model [TA276] (10/08/01).
- Rituximab for the first-line treatment of stage III–IV follicular lymphoma (review of Technology Appraisal No. 110): a systematic review and economic evaluation (09/141/01).
- A systematic review and economic evaluation of cilostazol, naftidrofuryl oxalate, pentoxifylline and inositol nicotinate for the treatment of intermittent claudication in people with peripheral arterial disease (PAD) (09/92/01).
- Intensity-modulated radiotherapy for the treatment of prostate cancer: a systematic review and economic evaluation (08/227/01).
- Spinal cord stimulation for chronic pain of neuropathic or ischaemic origin: systematic review and economic evaluation (07/08/01).
- Amantadine, oseltamivir and zanamivir for the prophylaxis of influenza (including a review of existing guidance no. 67): a systematic review and economic evaluation (07/35/01).
- Routine antenatal anti-D prophylaxis for RhD-negative women: a systematic review and economic evaluation (07/05/01).
- Thrombophilia testing in people with venous thromboembolism: systematic review and cost-effectiveness analysis (06/66/01).
- Ezetimibe for the treatment of hypercholesterolaemia: a systematic review and economic evaluation (05/22/01).
- The use of irinotecan, oxaliplatin and raltitrexed for the treatment of advanced colorectal cancer: systematic review and economic evaluation (04/12/01).
- Taxanes for the adjuvant treatment of early breast cancer: systematic review and economic evaluation (06/18/01).
- Hormonal therapies for early breast cancer: systematic review and economic evaluation (03/20/01).
- A systematic review and economic evaluation of statins for the prevention of coronary events (03/30/01).
- Systematic review and economic evaluation of bevacizumab and cetuximab for the treatment of metastatic colorectal cancer (04/46/01).
- The clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of strontium ranelate for the prevention of osteoporotic fragility fractures in postmenopausal women (04/28/01).
- The clinical and cost-effectiveness of oxaliplatin and capecitabine for the adjuvant treatment of colon cancer: systematic review and economic evaluation (04/18/01).
- Computerised cognitive behaviour therapy for depression and anxiety update: a systematic review and economic evaluation (04/01/01).
- Parent-training/education programmes in the management of children with conduct disorders (TA 102).
- A systematic review and economic evaluation of alendronate, etidronate, risedronate, raloxifene and teriparatide for the prevention and treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis (01/58/01).
- Clinical and cost-effectiveness of electroconvulsive therapy for depressive illness, schizophrenia, catatonia and mania: systematic reviews and economic modelling studies (01/48/01).
- Systematic review and economic evaluation of a long-acting insulin analogue, insulin glargine (01/49/01).
- Rituximab (MabThera®) for aggressive non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma: systematic review and economic evaluation (02/17/01).
- Methods for expected value of information analysis in complex health economic models: developments on the health economics of interferon- and glatiramer acetate for multiple sclerosis (02/29/01).
- Liquid-based cytology in cervical screening: an updated rapid and systematic review and economic analysis (02/27/01).
- Clinical effectiveness and costeffectiveness of pioglitazone and rosiglitazone in the treatment of type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and economic evaluation (01/54/01).
- Clinical effectiveness and costeffectiveness of neonatal screening for inborn errors of metabolism using tandem mass spectrometry: a systematic review (01/31/01).
- A systematic review and economic evaluation of magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography compared with diagnostic endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (02/43/01).
- Treatments for spasticity and pain in multiple sclerosis: a systematic review (99/05/03).
- Clinical and cost-effectiveness of new and emerging technologies for early localised prostate cancer: a systematic review (01/36/01).
- Clinical and cost-effectiveness of capecitabine and tegafur with uracil for the treatment of metastatic colorectal cancer: systematic review and economic evaluation (01/56/01).
- The clinical and cost-effectiveness of pulsatile machine perfusion versus cold storage of kidneys for transplantation retrieved from heartbeating and non-heart-beating donors (01/35/01).
- The effectiveness and costeffectiveness of ultrasound locating devices for central venous access: a systematic review and economic evaluation (01/24/01).
- A review of the clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of routine anti-D prophylaxis for pregnant women who are rhesus-negative (00/23/01).
- Human growth hormone (somatropin) in adults with growth hormone deficiency (TA 64).
- The management of inhibitors in haemophilia A: introduction and systematic review of current practice (RCD01960).
- Haemophilia. 2003; Volume 9 Issue 4, Pages 405 – 417 [link]
- A systematic review and economic evaluation of computerised cognitive behaviour therapy for depression and anxiety (01/23/01).
- A review of the natural history and epidemiology of multiple sclerosis: implications for resource allocation and health economic models (99/05/02).
- The clinical effectiveness and cost effectiveness of inhaler devices used in the routine management of chronic asthma in older children: a systematic review and economic evaluation (00/22/01).
- A rapid and systematic review of the evidence for the clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of irinotecan, oxaliplatin and raltitrexed for the treatment of advanced colorectal cancer (00/13/01).
- A rapid and systematic review of the clinical effectiveness and cost effectiveness of gemcitabine for the treatment of pancreatic cancer (00/10/01).
- The clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of pioglitazone for type 2 diabetes mellitus: a rapid and systematic review (00/06/01).
- Single Technology Appraisals (STAs)
- Clostridium botulinum neurotoxin type A for treating hypersalivation associated with neurological conditions [ID1150].
- Pentosan polysulfate sodium for treating bladder pain syndrome [ID1364].
- Olaparib for maintenance treatment of BRCA-mutated ovarian, fallopian tube and peritoneal cancer after response to initial platinum-based chemotherapy [ID1124].
- Pembrolizumab with carboplatin and paclitaxel for untreated squamous non-small-cell lung cancer [ID1306].
- Sodium zirconium cyclosilicate for treating hyperkalaemia [ID1293].
- Blinatumomab for treating B-precursor, minimal residual remission acute lymphoblastic leukaemia [ID1036].
- Nusinersen for treating infant or child spinal muscular atrophy [ID1069].
- Regorafenib after sorafenib, for treating unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma [ID991].
- Sarilumab after TNFnhibitors for treating active rheumatoid arthritis [ID994].
- Cx601 for treating complex perianal fistula in non-active or mildly-active luminal Crohn’s disease [ID960]
- Baricitinib for treating moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis [ID979].
- Ponatinib for treating chronic myeloid leukaemia [ID671].
- Ibrutinib for treating Waldenstrom’s macroglobulinaemia [ID884].
- Ibrutinib for treating relapsed or refractory mantle cell lymphoma [ID753].
- Obinutuzumab in combination with bendamustine for treating rituximab-refractory follicular lymphoma [ID841].
- Pertuzumab for treating early, HER 2 positive breast cancer [ID767].
- Certolizumab pegol for treating rheumatoid arthritis following inadequate response to a TNF inhibitor [ID824].
- Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis - pirfenidone [ID837].
- Adalimumab for treating moderate to severe hidradenitis suppurativa [ID812].
- Cabazitaxel for the second-line treatment of hormone refractory, metastatic prostate cancer [ID889].
- Olaparib for the maintenance treatment of relapsed, platinum-sensitive ovarian, fallopian tube and peritoneal cancer with BRCA 1 or 2 mutations following response to prior platinum-based chemotherapy [ID735].
- Hypercholesterolaemia (primary), dyslipidaemia (mixed) - evolocumab [ID765].
- Vedolizumab for treating moderate to severe active Crohn’s disease after prior therapy [ID690].
- Vedolizumab for ulcerative colitis [ID691].
- Degarelix for the treatment of advanced hormone-dependent prostate cancer [ID590].
- Sofosbuvir-ledipasvir for treating genotype 1 chronic hepatitis C [ID742].
- Sipuleucel-T for the treatment of metastatic castrate-resistant prostate cancer [ID573].
- Mepolizumab for treating severe eosinophilic asthma [ID798].
- Trastuzumab emtansine for the treatment of locally advanced or metastatic HER2 - positive breast cancer after treatment with trastuzumab and a taxane [ID603] Report.
- Nalmefene for reduction of alcohol consumption in alcohol-dependent patients [ID660] Report.
- Lorcaserin for obesity [ID337].
- Rivaroxaban for the prevention of adverse outcomes in patients after the acute management of acute coronary syndrome [ID532] Report.
- Rituximab in combination with corticosteroids for treating anti-neutrophil cytoplasmic antibody-associated vasculitis [ID567] Report.
- Aripiprazole for the treatment and prevention of acute manic and mixed episodes in bipolar disorder in children and adolescents [ID305] Report.
- Pegloticase for the treatment of hyperuricaemia in people with symptomatic gout whose disease is refractory to conventional urate-lowering therapy, or in whom conventional urate-lowering therapy is contraindicated or not tolerated [ID521] Report.
- Alteplase for treating acute ischaemic stroke (review of technology appraisal guidance 122) [ID536] Report.
- Rivaroxaban for the treatment of deep vein thrombosis and secondary prevention of venous thromboembolism [ID437] Report.
- Bivalirudin for the treatment of ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction (10/09/01) Report.
- Abatacept for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis after the failure of conventional disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs (10/24/01) Report.
- Golimumab for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis after failure of previous disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs (08/118/01) Report.
- Mifamurtide for the treatment of osteosarcoma (08/77/01) Report.
- Cabazitaxel for the second-line treatment of hormone refractory, metastatic prostate cancer (10/49/01) Report.
- Trabectedin for the treatment of relapsed ovarian cancer (08/212/01) Report.
- Bevacizumab in combination with oxaliplatin and either 5FU or capecitabine for the treatment of metastatic colorectal cancer (08/211/01).
- Trabectedin for the treatment of advanced metastatic soft tissue sarcoma (08/92/01).
- Rivaroxaban for the prevention of venous thromboembolism after total hip or total knee replacement in adults (08/03/01).
- Febuxostat for the management of hyperuricaemia in people with gout (07/69/01).
- Dabigatran etexilate for the prevention of venous thromboembolism after hip or knee replacement surgery in adults (07/90/01).
- Varenicline for smoking cessation (06/50/01).
- Alteplase for the treatment of acute ischaemic stroke (06/51/01).
- Docetaxel for the adjuvant treatment of early node-positive breast cancer: a single technology appraisal (05/53/01).
- Trastuzumab for the treatment of primary breast cancer in HER2-positive women: a single technology appraisal (05/51/01).
- Diagnostic Assessment Reports (DARs)
- Sepsis: The LightCycler SeptiFast Test MGRADE, SepsiTest and IRIDICA BAC BSI assay for rapidly identifying bloodstream bacteria and fungi [GID-DT25] (14/69/04).
- Measurement of exhaled nitric oxide concentration in asthma; NIOX MINO and NObreath (DG12) (12/60/01).
- Gene expression profiling and expanded immunohistochemistry tests to guide the use of adjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancer management: a systematic review and cost-effectiveness analysis (DG10) (10/125/01).
- Non-invasive diagnostic assessment tools for the detection of liver fibrosis in patients with suspected alcohol-related liver disease: a systematic review and economic evaluation (09/62/01).
- Highly Specialised Technologies (HSTs)
- HTA Technology Assessment Reports (TARs)
- Ultrasonography for monitoring of synovitis in rheumatoid arthritis (14/16/01).
- The prognostic value of tests and assessment tools in rheumatoid arthritis (14/151/08).
- Cost-effectiveness of treat-to-target strategies in rheumatoid arthritis (14/17/01).
- Exploratory analyses in the NICE STA process (14/151/04).
- Routine echocardiography in the management of stroke and TIA (09/68/01).
- Eculizumab for atypical haemolytic uraemic syndrome (aHUS) (AGNSS project) (11/91/01) Article.
- Clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of minimally invasive techniques to manage varicose veins: a systematic review and economic evaluation (10/29/01).
- Echocardiography in newly diagnosed atrial fibrillation patients: a systematic review and economic evaluation (08/45/01).
- Home telemonitoring or structured telephone support programmes after recent discharge in patients with heart failure: systematic review and economic evaluation (09/107/01).
- The clinical effectiveness and cost effectiveness of home-based, nurse-led health promotion for older people: a systematic review (09/142/01).
- Use of classical and novel biomarkers as prognostic risk factors for localised prostate cancer: a systematic review (06/27/01).
- Vitamin K to prevent fractures in older women: systematic review and economic evaluation (07/16/01).
- Psychological therapies including dialectical behaviour therapy for borderline personality disorder: a systematic review and preliminary economic evaluation (04/52/01).
- Short Reports
- Cannabis cessation therapy for regular cannabis users (13/70/01).
- Interventions to treat premature ejaculation: a systematic review short report (13/12/01).
- The clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of exercise referral schemes (13/45/01).
- The effectiveness of sexual health interventions for people with severe mental illness: a systematic review (12/74/01).
- Cytisine for smoking cessation (12/46/01).
- The clinical effectiveness and safety of prophylactic retinal interventions to reduce the risk of retinal detachment and subsequent vision loss in adults and children with Stickler syndrome (09/23/01).
- Evidence Review Group approaches to the critical appraisal of manufacturer submissions for the NICE STA process: a mapping study and thematic analysis (08/228/01).
- Hemiarthroplasty and total hip arthroplasty for treating primary intracapsular fracture of the hip: a systematic review and cost-effectiveness analysis (09/108/02).
- Avoiding and identifying errors in health technology assessment models: qualitative study and methodological review (07/54/01).
- Early high-dose lipid-lowering therapy to avoid cardiac events: a systematic review and economic evaluation (07/03/01).
- A study to establish the feasibility of a trial that would investigate the clinical and cost-effectiveness of stopping bisphosphonate treatment after 5 years in post-menopausal women with osteoporosis who have already had a fracture (06/31/01).
ScHARR-TAG has produced technology assessment reports since 2000 and is made up of systematic reviewers, cost-effectiveness modellers, administrators, information specialists, and statisticians.
- Systematic Reviewers
- Cost-effectiveness Modellers
- Information Specialists
The University’s four flagship institutes bring together our key strengths to tackle global issues, turning interdisciplinary and translational research into real-world solutions.