Dr Michelle J Horspool B.A. Hons (Sheffield), Ph.D. (Sheffield)
Research Fellow/Trial Manager
Design Trials and Statistics, ScHARR
The University of Sheffield
c/o Regent Court
30 Regent Street
Office: Room 2.15, 2nd Floor, Innovation Centre
Tel: +44 (0)114 222 4303
email : email@example.com
I joined ScHARR as a Research Fellow in August 2010 working jointly with the Research Design Service and Clinical Trials Research Unit as a Proposal Developer. In June 2012 I took on the role of Trial Manager for the PLEASANT study, for which I am also a co-applicant.
I also work part-time as Research Development Manager for NHS Sheffield Clinical Commissiong Group.
I have worked previously as a Specialist Research Nurse within the University of Sheffield on studies relating to substance misuse, with particular focus on psychosocial determinants of behaviour change, treatment outcomes and drug-related deaths.
As well as having an interest and clinical background in substance misuse and mental health (which was the area or work for my PhD), I have experience in designing and delivering complex interventions, as well as the feasibility, design and recruitment to studies within primary care and pharmacy settings.
Development of an intervention to improve asthma adherence in school-aged children - Focus groups with school-aged children with asthma (PLEASANT 3a) ScHARR Research Support Fund 2014-2015
NIHR Health Technology Assessment - Preventing and Lessening Exacerbations of Asthma in School-age children Associated with a New Term - Echo Effect (PLEASANT 2), Co-Investigator, 2015.
NIHR Health Technology Assessment - Preventing and Lessening Exacerbations of Asthma in School-age children Associated with a New Term (PLEASANT), Co-Investigator, 2013-2015.
- Horspool MJ, Julious SA. Preventing and Lessening Exacerbations of Asthma in School age children Associated with a New Term (PLEASANT): Recruiting Primary Care Research Sites – the PLEASANT experience. Primary Care Respiratory Society Conference UK. September 2104. Oral presentation.
- Horspool MJ, Julious SA. Preventing and Lessening Exacerbations of Asthma in School age children Associated with a New Term (PLEASANT): Recruiting Primary Care Research Sites – the PLEASANT experience. International Primary Care Respiratory Group - Athens. May 2014 Poster Presentation.
- Horspool MJ, Julious SA, Boote J, et al. Preventing and lessening exacerbations of asthma in school age children associated with a new term (PLEASANT): study protocol for a cluster randomised control trial. Trials 2013;14:297 www.trialsjournal.com/content/14/1/297
- Horspool, MJ. Armitage, CA. Seivewright, N & Mathers, N. 2008. Post treatment outcomes of buprenorphine detoxification in community settings: a systematic review. European Addiction Research, 14: 179-185.
- Oliver P, Horspool M, Rowse G, Parry M, Keen J, Mathers N. 2007. A Psychological Autopsy Study of Non-deliberate Fatal Opiate-related Overdose. National Treatment Agency for Substance Misuse: Research Briefing 24. http://www.nta.nhs.uk/uploads/nta_rb24_psychological_autopsy_opiate_overdose.pdf
- Oliver, P. Horspool, M & Keen, J. 2005. Fatal opiate overdose following regimen changes in naltrexone treatment. Addiction, 100, 560-561.
- Oliver, P. Horspool, M & Keen, J. 2005. Overdose prevention counselling during naltrexone implant regiment changes. Addiction, 100, 1028-1029.
- I provide peer-review for the following NIHR funding streams: NIHR Research for Patient Benefit & NIHR Programme Grants for Applied Research.
- I have also provided peer-review for the Routledge Press, Dove Press and Open University Press.
Michelle is based in the Design, Trials & Statistics Section.