Professor Steven A Julious BSc(Hons) MSc PhD
Professor of Medical Statistics
Medical Statistics Group, ScHARR
The University of Sheffield
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
SHEFFIELD S1 4DA
Tel: +44 (0) 114 222 0709
Fax: +44 (0) 114 222 0749
PA: Rebecca Swift
Working pattern: Tuesday and Wednesday 9.30am-4.00pm and Thursday 9.30am-3.30pm
Tel: +44(0)114 22 22988 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
I graduated with a BSc (Hons) in Mathematics, Statistics and Operational Research (MSOR) from the University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology (UMIST) and an MSc in Biometry from the University of Reading. For my PhD from University College London, which I did part time while working in industry, I investigated the issue of designing clinical trials when you have imprecise estimates to base calculations on.
Statistically I have an interest in all aspects of clinical trials from molecule through to marketplace. My main research focus is clinical trial design and the development of applied methods related to clinical trials. I have a particular interest around adaptive designs and the implementation of adaptive designs into practice
The methodologies around sample size estimation are a particular interest and as well as a book I have developed a mobile app for the calculations called SampSize.
I also have an interest in asthma epidemiology and I am the Chief Investigator of the PLEASANT trial: Preventing and Lessening Exacerbations of Asthma in School-age children Associated with a New Term.
My research interest include:
- Clinical trials
- Clinical trial design
- Early phase trials
- Asthma epidemiology
My teaching activities include:
• ScHARR Director for the MSc in Statistics with Medical Applications
• Module co-ordinator for HAR6036 including Intercalated BMedSci Medical Students
• Module co-ordinator MAS6062 Further Clinical Trials for the MSc in Statistics with Medical Applications
• Teach on HAR6035
External to the university I was a Member of NICE appraisal Committee D and I am on the editorial board of the journals Pharmaceutical Statistics and Statistical Methods in Medical Research.
Within the university I am a member of the University Diversity Committee and ScHARR Research Committee.
• NHS Health Technology Assessment Programme. Preventing and Lessening Exacerbations of Asthma in School-age children Associated with a New Term (PLEASANT). Julious SA, Horspool M, Boote J, Smithson H, Elphick H, van Staa T, Davis S, Norman P and Cooper CL. £486,500.
• NIHR Research Methods Fellowship. Adaptive designs in publicly funded research. Goodacre S and Julious SA. £91,000, 2013.
• NIHR Doctoral Fellowship. Adaptive designs in publicly funded research: Munya Dimairo. Dimairo M, Julious SA, Nicholl J and Todd SC. £194,000.
• Medical Research Council - National Prevention Research Initiative. Time to change! Using the transition from school to university to promote healthy lifestyle habits in young people (U@Uni). Norman P, Brennan A, Ciravegna F, Harris P, Julious SA, Meier PS, Naughton D, Petroczi A, Sheeran P and Webb T. £542,899.
• NHS Health Technology Assessment Programme. Clinical and cost effectiveness of aphasia computer therapy compared with usual stimulation or attention control long term post stroke (CACTUS). Palmer R, Julious S, Enderby P Latimer, N, Bowen A, Brady M and Cooper C. £1,379,481
• FP7-HEALTH-2013-INNOVATION-1: Integrated DEsign and AnaLysis of clinical trials in small population groups. Member of the Advisory Board of the main grant and pary of Work Package 6: Design of pharmacogenetic small population group trials including cross-over trials, n-of-1 trials and enrichment trials. 2,900,000 Euros
• Asthma UK Centre for Applied Research. Sheik A Griffiths C, Bang M, Campbell L, Ehrlich E, Barners Net al. £2,000,000, 2013
I am based in the Design, Trials and Statistics section.
Key publications since 2008
Please click here for a full list of Steven A Julious' publications.
- Julious S, Say-Beng T & Machin D (2010) An Introduction to Statistics in Early Phase Trials. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Julious SA (2009) Samples Sizes for Clinical Trials. Chapman & Hall/CRC.
- Buelo A, McLean S, Julious S, Flores-Kim J, Bush A, Henderson J, Paton JY, Sheikh A, Shields M & Pinnock H (2018) At-risk children with asthma (ARC): A systematic review. Thorax. View this article in WRRO
- Julious SA, Horspool MJ, Davis S, Franklin M, Smithson WH, Norman P, Simpson RM, Elphick H, Bortolami O & Cooper C (2018) Open-label, cluster randomised controlled trial and economic evaluation of a brief letter from a GP on unscheduled medical contacts associated with the start of the school year: the PLEASANT trial. BMJ Open, 8(4), e017367. View this article in WRRO
- Cooper CL, Whitehead A, Pottrill E, Julious SA & Walters SJ (2018) Are pilot trials useful for predicting randomisation and attrition rates in definitive studies: A review of publicly funded trials. Clinical Trials, 15(2), 189-196. View this article in WRRO
- Bell ML, Whitehead AL & Julious SA (2018) Guidance for using pilot studies to inform the design of intervention trials with continuous outcomes. Clinical Epidemiology, 10, 153-157. View this article in WRRO
- Cook JA, Julious SA, Sones W, Rothwell JC, Ramsay CR, Hampson LV, Emsley R, Walters SJ, Hewitt C, Bland M , Fergusson DA et al (2017) Choosing the target difference ('effect size') for a randomised controlled trial - DELTA2 guidance protocol. Trials, 18. View this article in WRRO
- Franklin M, Davis S, Horspool M, Kua WS & Julious S (2017) Economic Evaluations Alongside Efficient Study Designs Using Large Observational Datasets: the PLEASANT Trial Case Study. PharmacoEconomics, 35(5), 561-573. View this article in WRRO
- Walters SJ, Henriques-Cadby IBDA, Bortolami O, Flight L, Hind D, Jacques RM, Knox C, Nadin B, Rothwell J, Surtees M & Julious SA (2017) Recruitment and retention of participants in randomised controlled trials: a review of trials funded and published by the United Kingdom Health Technology Assessment Programme. BMJ Open, 7(3). View this article in WRRO
- Tagiyeva N, McLean S, Sheikh A, Julious S, Thomas M, Paton J, Pinnock H & Members of the ARC group (2017) Protocol for a systematic review to identify and weight the indicators of risk of asthma exacerbations in children aged 5-12 years.. NPJ Prim Care Respir Med, 27, 16088-16088. View this article in WRRO
- Julious SA, Horspool MJ, Davis S, Bradburn M, Norman P, Shephard N, Cooper CL, Smithson WH, Boote J, Elphick H , Loban A et al (2017) PLEASANT: Preventing and Lessening Exacerbations of Asthma in School-age children Associated with a New Term - a cluster randomised controlled trial and economic evaluation.. Health Technology Assessment, 20(93), 1-154. View this article in WRRO
- Posadzki P, Mastellos N, Ryan R, Gunn LH, Felix LM, Pappas Y, Gagnon MP, Julious SA, Xiang L, Oldenburg B & Car J (2016) Automated telephone communication systems for preventive healthcare and management of long-term conditions. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2016(12). View this article in WRRO
- Araujo A, Julious S & Senn S (2016) Understanding Variation in Sets of N-of-1 Trials. PLOS ONE, 11(12). View this article in WRRO
- Flight L, Julious SA & Goodacre S (2016) Can emergency medicine research benefit from adaptive design clinical trials?. Emergency Medicine Journal, 34, 243-248. View this article in WRRO
- Whitehead AL, Julious SA, Cooper CL & Campbell MJ (2016) Estimating the sample size for a pilot randomised trial to minimise the overall trial sample size for the external pilot and main trial for a continuous outcome variable. Statistical Methods in Medical Research, 25(3), 1057-1073. View this article in WRRO
- Hatfield I, Allison A, Flight L, Julious SA & Dimairo M (2016) Adaptive designs undertaken in clinical research: a review of registered clinical trials. Trials, 17(1), 150. View this article in WRRO
- Flight L & Julious SA (2016) Practical guide to sample size calculations: non‐inferiority and equivalence trials. Pharmaceutical Statistics, 15(1), 80-89. View this article in WRRO
- Flight L & Julious SA (2016) Practical guide to sample size calculations: an introduction. Pharmaceutical Statistics, 15(1), 68-74. View this article in WRRO
- Flight L & Julious SA (2016) Practical guide to sample size calculations: superiority trials. Pharmaceutical Statistics, 15(1), 75-79. View this article in WRRO
- Horspool MJ, Julious SA, Mooney C, May R, Sully B & Smithson WH (2015) Preventing and Lessening Exacerbations of Asthma in School-aged children Associated with a New Term (PLEASANT): Recruiting Primary Care Research Sites–the PLEASANT experience. Primary Care Respiratory Journal, 25(1), 15066. View this article in WRRO
- Dimairo M, Boote J, Julious SA, Nicholl JP & Todd S (2015) Missing steps in a staircase: a qualitative study of the perspectives of key stakeholders on the use of adaptive designs in confirmatory trials. Trials, 16(1), 430. View this article in WRRO
- Jackson L, Cohen J, Sully B & Julious S (2015) NOURISH, Nutritional OUtcomes from a Randomised Investigation of Intradialytic oral nutritional Supplements in patients receiving Haemodialysis: a pilot randomised controlled trial. Pilot and Feasibility Studies, 1(11). View this article in WRRO
- Palmer R, Cooper C, Enderby P, Brady M, Julious S, Bowen A & Latimer N (2015) Clinical and cost effectiveness of computer treatment for aphasia post stroke (Big CACTUS): study protocol for a randomised controlled trial. Trials, 16(1), 18. View this article in WRRO
- Stevely A, Dimairo M, Todd S, Julious SA, Nicholl J, Hind D & Cooper CL (2015) An Investigation of the Shortcomings of the CONSORT 2010 Statement for the Reporting of Group Sequential Randomised Controlled Trials: A Methodological Systematic Review. PLoS ONE, 10(11), e0141104. View this article in WRRO
- Flight L & Julious SA (2015) The disagreeable behaviour of the kappa statistic. Pharmaceutical Statistics, 14(1), 74-78.
- Julious SA & Walters SJ (2014) Estimating effect sizes for health-related quality of life outcomes.. Stat Methods Med Res, 23(5), 430-439.
- Epton T, Norman P, Dadzie A-S, Harris PR, Webb TL, Sheeran P, Julious SA, Ciravegna F, Brennan A, Meier PS , Naughton D et al (2014) A theory-based online health behaviour intervention for new university students (U@Uni): Results from a randomised controlled trial. Acta Veterinaria Scandinavica, 563-563. View this article in WRRO
- Sully BG, Julious SA & Nicholl J (2014) An investigation of the impact of futility analysis in publicly funded trials. Acta Veterinaria Scandinavica, 61-61. View this article in WRRO
- Lee EC, Whitehead AL, Jacques RM & Julious SA (2014) The statistical interpretation of pilot trials: should significance thresholds be reconsidered?. BMC Med Res Methodol, 14, 41. View this article in WRRO
- Glasziou P, Altman DG, Bossuyt P, Boutron I, Clarke M, Julious S, Michie S, Moher D & Wager E (2014) Reducing waste from incomplete or unusable reports of biomedical research.. Lancet, 383(9913), 267-276.
- Crisp E & Julious SA (2014) The analysis of the use of 'unascertained' for sudden unexpected deaths in infancy from 1988 to 2010. Archives of Disease in Childhood, 99(3), 300-301.
- Horspool MJ, Julious SA, Boote J, Bradburn MJ, Cooper CL, Davis S, Elphick H, Norman P, Smithson WH & vanStaa T (2013) Preventing and lessening exacerbations of asthma in school-age children associated with a new term (PLEASANT): Study protocol for a cluster randomised control trial. Trials, 14(1). View this article in WRRO
- Norman P, Epton T, Dadzie A-S, Sheeran P, Harris P, Webb T, Ciravegna F, Julious S, Brennan A, Meier P , Kruger J et al (2013) A theory-based online intervention to promote health behaviour in new university students: One-month follow-up data. PSYCHOLOGY & HEALTH, 28, 132-132.
- Sully BGO, Julious SA & Nicholl J (2013) A reinvestigation of recruitment to randomised, controlled, multicenter trials: a review of trials funded by two UK funding agencies.. Trials, 14, 166. View this article in WRRO
- Julious SA (2013) Meta-analysis in clinical research.. Stat Methods Med Res, 22(2), 115-116.
- Julious SA, Dimairo M, Stallard N, Glimm E, Bretz F, Gallo P, Minas G, Aston JAD, Vandemeulebroecke M, Posch M , Gilmour S et al (2013) Discussion on the paper by Hampson and Jennison. JOURNAL OF THE ROYAL STATISTICAL SOCIETY SERIES B-STATISTICAL METHODOLOGY, 75(1), 40-54.
- Billingham SAM, Whitehead AL & Julious SA (2013) An audit of sample sizes for pilot and feasibility trials being undertaken in the United Kingdom registered in the United Kingdom Clinical Research Network database.. BMC Med Res Methodol, 13, 104. View this article in WRRO
- Julious SA (2013) Efficacy and suicidal risk for antidepressants in paediatric and adolescent patients.. Stat Methods Med Res, 22(2), 190-218.
- Jackson L, Sully B, Cohen J & Julious S (2013) Nutritional outcomes from a randomised investigation of intradialytic oral nutritional supplements in patients receiving haemodialysis, (NOURISH): a protocol for a pilot randomised controlled trial.. Springerplus, 2, 515. View this article in WRRO
- Julious SA, Jain R & Mason S (2012) Environmental triggers of hospital admissions for school-age children with asthma in two British cities.. Emerg Med J, 29(10), 844-845.
- Palmer R, Enderby P, Cooper C, Latimer N, Julious S, Paterson G, Dimairo M, Dixon S, Mortley J, Hilton R , Delaney A et al (2012) Computer therapy compared with usual care for people with long-standing aphasia poststroke: a pilot randomized controlled trial.. Stroke, 43(7), 1904-1911.
- Julious SA & Campbell MJ (2012) Tutorial in biostatistics: Sample sizes for parallel group clinical trials with binary data. Statistics in Medicine, 31(24), 2904-2936.
- Julious SA & McIntyre NE (2012) Sample sizes for trials involving multiple correlated must-win comparisons.. Pharm Stat, 11(2), 177-185.
- Sutton L, Julious SA & Goodacre SW (2012) Influence of adaptive analysis on unnecessary patient recruitment: reanalysis of the RATPAC trial.. Ann Emerg Med, 60(4), 442-8.e1.
- Julious SA & Whitehead A (2012) Investigating the assumption of homogeneity of treatment effects in clinical studies with application to meta-analysis. Pharmaceutical Statistics, 11(1), 49-56.
- Julious SA (2012) Seven useful designs.. Pharm Stat, 11(1), 24-31.
- Julious SA (2011) The ABC of non-inferiority margin setting: an investigation of approaches.. Trials, 12 Suppl 1, A34.
- Julious SA, Campbell MJ, Bianchi SM & Murray-Thomas T (2011) Seasonality of medical contacts in school-aged children with asthma: association with school holidays.. Public Health, 125(11), 769-776.
- Julious SA (2011) The ABC of non-inferiority margin setting from indirect comparisons.. Pharm Stat, 10(5), 448-453.
- Julious SA, Jain R & Mason S (2011) Environmental triggers of hospital admissions for school-age children with asthma in two British cities.. Emerg Med J.
- Pyke S, Julious SA, Day S, O'Kelly M, Todd S, Matcham J & Seldrup J (2011) The potential for bias in reporting of industry-sponsored clinical trials.. Pharm Stat, 10(1), 74-79.
- O'Kelly M, Julious SA, Pyke S, Day S, Todd S, Seldrup J & Matcham J (2011) Making available information from studies sponsored by the pharmaceutical industry: some current practices.. Pharm Stat, 10(1), 60-69.
- Julious SA, Pyke S & Hughes S (2011) Industry sponsored trials Best practice for statisticians in industry sponsored trials. BRIT MED J, 342.
- Julious SA & Owen RJ (2011) A comparison of methods for sample size estimation for non-inferiority studies with binary outcomes.. Stat Methods Med Res, 20(6), 595-612.
- Senn S, Rolfe K & Julious SA (2011) Investigating variability in patient response to treatment--a case study from a replicate cross-over study.. Stat Methods Med Res, 20(6), 657-666.
- Senn S & Julious S (2009) Measurement in clinical trials: a neglected issue for statisticians?. Stat Med, 28(26), 3189-3209.
- Parker SG, Oliver P, Pennington M, Bond J, Jagger C, Enderby PM, Curless R, Chater T, Vanoli A, Fryer K , Cooper C et al (2009) Rehabilitation of older patients: day hospital compared with rehabilitation at home. A randomised controlled trial.. Health technology assessment (Winchester, England), 13(39).
- Julious SA & Mullee MA (2008) Issues with using baseline in last observation carried forward analysis.. Pharm Stat, 7(2), 142-146.
- Robinson CN, van Aswegen A, Julious SA, Nunan TO, Thomson WH, Tindale WB, Tout DA & Underwood SR (2008) The relationship between administered radiopharmaceutical activity in myocardial perfusion scintigraphy and imaging outcome.. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging, 35(2), 329-335.
- Julious SA & Wang SJ (2008) How Biased Are Indirect Comparisons, Particularly When Comparisons Are Made Over Time in Controlled Trials?. DRUG INF J, 42(6), 625-633.
- Julious SA & George S (2007) Are hospital league tables calculated correctly?. Public Health, 121(12), 902-904.
- Julious SA, Campbell MJ & Walters SJ (2007) Predicting where future means will lie based on the results of the current trial.. Contemp Clin Trials, 28(4), 352-357.
- Julious SA, Osman LM & Jiwa M (2007) Increases in asthma hospital admissions associated with the end of the summer vacation for school-age children with asthma in two cities from England and Scotland.. Public Health, 121(6), 482-484.
- Julious S (2007) A personal perspective on the Royal Statistical Society report of the working party on statistical issues in first-in-man studies.. Pharm Stat, 6(2), 75-78.
- Julious SA, Nicholl J & George S (2006) Why do we continue to use standardised mortality ratios for small area comparisons (vol 23, pg 40, 2001). J PUBLIC HEALTH, 28(4), 399-399.
- George S & Julious S (2006) Are we getting what we pay for?. Public Health, 120(11), 1013-1019.
- Julious SA & Owen RJ (2006) Sample size calculations for clinical studies allowing for uncertainty about the variance.. Pharm Stat, 5(1), 29-37.
- Julious SA (2005) Issues with number needed to treat.. Stat Med, 24(20), 3233-3235.
- Julious SA (2005) Sample size of 12 per group rule of thumb for a pilot study. PHARM STAT, 4(4), 287-291.
- Julious SA (2005) Why do we use pooled variance analysis of variance?. PHARM STAT, 4(1), 3-5.
- Julious SA & Swank DJ (2005) Moving statistics beyond the individual clinical trial: applying decision science to optimize a clinical development plan. PHARM STAT, 4(1), 37-46.
- Julious SA (2004) Designing clinical trials with uncertain estimates of variability. PHARM STAT, 3(4), 261-268.
- Julious SA (2004) Using confidence intervals around individual means to assess statistical significance between two means. PHARM STAT, 3(3), 217-222.
- Julious SA & Patterson SD (2004) Sample sizes for estimation in clinical research. PHARM STAT, 3(3), 213-215.
- Julious SA (2004) Sample sizes for clinical trials with normal data.. Stat Med, 23(12), 1921-1986.
- Julious S (2004) Sample size redetermination for repeated measures studies.. Biometrics, 60(1), 284.
- Julious SA (2001) Inference and estimation in a changepoint regression problem. J ROY STAT SOC D-STA, 50, 51-61.