The University of Sheffield
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
Sheffield, S1 4DA
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 0767
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 0749
I trained and worked as a nurse, health visitor and district nurse both in the UK and in West Africa. My experiences as a nurse led to a keen interest in evidence based health care. I worked for the Royal College of Nursing and gained training and experience in systematic review methodology. This was further consolidated by working as a systematic reviewer for the Newcastle Guideline Development Unit. Since joining ScHARR in 2007 I have worked on a wide range of systematic reviews to support NICE guidance including treatments for angina, interventions to reduce drug errors in hospital and public health interventions to reduce excessive weight gain in pregnancy. I have undertaken additional work in methodological areas of systematic reviewing.
I have conducted and supported the development of Cochrane Systematic Reviews. I am the lead author of four reviews and co-author on another eight. I have also helped other teams of reviewers who have required additional methodological support in the conduct of their review. I am a peer reviewer for the Cochrane Wounds Group, the Cochrane Hypertension Group, the British Medical Journal and BIOMED Central.
I also work part-time as a Stroke Prevention Researcher, funded by the CLAHRC (Collaborations for Leadership in Applied Health Research and Care)
My research interests are:
- Use of evidence to support decision making
- Incorporating non-RCT evidence in systematic reviews
- Assessment of patient reported outcomines in clinical trials and methods of synthesis
- Methods of synthesising qualitative and quantitative reviews
- Use of expert opinion in systematic reviews
- Any issues relating to improving health in low and middle income countries
I am involved with teaching both on the undergraduate MBBS course and post-graduate Masters programmes within ScHARR. I also supervise Masters Dissertation projects. Recently as part of a small team I delivered a teaching programme to health care managers and providers on quality improvements and evidence based practice in the Maldives.
- Systematic reviewer for the ScHARR Technology Assessment Group (TAG) completing HTA reports for NETSCC
- Previously, a systematic reviewer for the Review Body for Interventional Procedures and Public Health Collaborating Centre
- Lecturer and dissertation supervisor (systematic review) for the Master's in Public Health (Health Services Research) and Master's in Decision and Economic Modelling
- Author or co-author of 12 Cochrane Reviews
- Systematic review and modelling of the cost effectiveness of Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging compared to current existing testing pathways in cardiac disease (PI: Steve Thomas)
- Community based peer support: developing a model for promoting health literacy (COPES). NIHR Public Health Research Programme (PI: Dr Janet Harris)
- Campbell F, Biggs C, Aldiss SK, O'Neill PM, Clowes M, McDonagh J, While A & Gibson F (2016) Interventions to improve the care of adolescents with long term health conditions as they transfer from child to adult health services. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. View this article in WRRO
- Campbell F, Biggs K, Aldiss SK, O'Neill PM, Clowes M, Mcdonagh J, While A & Gibson F (2016) Transition of care for adolescents from paediatric services to adult health services. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2016(4). View this article in WRRO
- Campbell F, Holmes M, Everson-Hock E, Davis S, Buckley Woods H, Anokye N, Tappenden P & Kaltenthaler E (2015) A systematic review and economic evaluation of exercise referral schemes in primary care: a short report. Health Technology Assessment, 19(60), 1-110. View this article in WRRO
- Campbell F, Thokala P, Uttley LC, Sutton A, Sutton AJ, Al-Mohammad A & Thomas SM (2014) Systematic review and modelling of the cost-effectiveness of cardiac magnetic resonance imaging compared with current existing testing pathways in ischaemic cardiomyopathy. Health Technology Assessment, 18(59), 1-120.
- Harris J, Croot L, Springett J, Wilkins E, Booth A, Campbell F, Thompson J & Yang Y (2013) Promoting Health Literacy through Community Based Peer Support: what works for whom under which circumstances and why?. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF QUALITATIVE METHODS, 12, 728-728.
- Booth A, Harris J, Croot E, Springett J, Campbell F & Wilkins E (2013) Towards a methodology for cluster searching to provide conceptual and contextual "richness" for systematic reviews of complex interventions: case study (CLUSTER).. BMC Med Res Methodol, 13, 118. View this article in WRRO
- Johnson M, Campbell F, Messina J, Preston L, Buckley Woods H & Goyder E (2013) Weight management during pregnancy: a systematic review of qualitative evidence.. Midwifery, 29(12), 1287-1296.
- Campbell F, Johnson M, Messina J, Guillaume L & Goyder E (2011) Behavioural interventions for weight management in pregnancy: A systematic review of quantitative and qualitative data. BMC PUBLIC HEALTH, 11. View this article in WRRO
- Kaner EFS, Dickinson HO, Beyer F, Pienaar E, Schlesinger C, Campbell F, Saunders JB, Burnand B & Heather N (2009) The effectiveness of brief alcohol interventions in primary care settings: A systematic review. DRUG ALCOHOL REV, 28(3), 301-323.