Dr Matthew Franklin, BA, MSc, PhD
The University of Sheffield
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
Sheffield, S1 4DA
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 4226
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 0749
I joined ScHARR in 2014 as a Health Economist Research Associate for HEDS, working in collaboration with the Collaboration for Leadership in Applied Health Research and Care for Yorkshire and Humber (CLAHRC YH). As of January 2017, I have been promoted to the position of Research Fellow.
I completed my BA in Economics and MSc in Economics and Health Economics at the University of Sheffield in 2007 and 2008, respectively. I then moved to the University of Nottingham in 2008, working as a Health Economist Research Associate, as well as starting my PhD in Health Economics in 2010. I completed and passed my Viva for my PhD thesis, titled "The role of utility, health, and capabilities in economic evaluation: a case study in frail older people", as of December 2014.
During my time as a health economist I have provided health economic support for at least four completed Randomised Controlled Trials (RCTs), as well as a number of cohort, pilot and feasibility studies. Although I specialise in the use of outcome measures and economic evaluations alongside clinical trials, I also have an interest in: (1) the psychometric assessment and statistical analysis of health, well-being and capability-based measures; and (2) the use of electronic resource-use information from large observational datasets or directly from the health or social care service for the purpose of costing exercises. As of March 2016, I have joined the NIHR Research Design Service (RDS) to provide guidance as a health economist for one day a week.
1. Trial-based economic evaluation and outcome measurement
2. Cost-effectiveness analysis and Markov modelling methodology
3. The capability approach to outcomes measurement and valuation
4. Pathway-based economic modelling
5. Use of electronic administrative databases for costing studies and economic modelling
6. Use of self-reported resource use data for costing studies and economic modelling.
- Tanajewski L, Franklin M, Gkountouras G, Berdunov V, Harwood RH, Goldberg SE, Bradshaw LE, Gladman JRF & Elliott RA (2015) Economic Evaluation of a General Hospital Unit for Older People with Delirium and Dementia (TEAM Randomised Controlled Trial). PLOS ONE, 10(12), e0140662-e0140662.
- Elliott RA, Putman KD, Franklin M, Annemans L, Verhaeghe N, Eden M, Hayre J, Rodgers S, Sheikh A & Avery AJ (2014) Cost Effectiveness of a Pharmacist-Led Information Technology Intervention for Reducing Rates of Clinically Important Errors in Medicines Management in General Practices (PINCER). PharmacoEconomics, 32(6), 573-590.