Professor Mark Hawley BSc, PhD, MIPEM, Hon. FRCSLT, CSci
Professor of Health Services Research
Director of CATCH, Head of RAT Group
The University of Sheffield,
30 Regent Street,
Room: 1.06c, 1st Floor, The Innovation Centre
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 0682
I am Professor of Health Services Research at the University of Sheffield, UK, where I lead the Rehabilitation and Assistive Technology Research Group. I am also Honorary Consultant Clinical Scientist at Barnsley Hospital, where I am Head of Medical Physics and Clinical Engineering, whose AT Team provides specialist electronic assistive technology services to people with disabilities in South Yorkshire.
Over the last 20 years, I have worked as a clinician and researcher – providing, researching, developing and evaluating assistive technology, telehealth and telecare products and services for disabled people, older people and people with long-term conditions.
- Assistive Technology
- Telecare & telehealth
- Digital Healthcare
- Catalyst for Knowledge Exchange, HEFCE, £8M (2014 – 2016), Co-applicant for Centre for Assistive Technology and Connected Healthcare £692,000
- Collaboration for Leadership in Health Research and Care - Yorkshire & Humber (CLAHRC Y&H), National Institute for Health Research, £24 million (£10M grant funded with match funding from NHS/universities/industry) (2014 - 2018) Co-applicant for bid (£24M), Principal Applicant for Telehealth and Care Technologies theme £2.4 million
- Devices for Dignity plus (D4D+), NIHR Health Technology Co-operative, £800,000 (2013-2016) Co-applicant
- Overcoming barriers to mainstreaming Assisted Living Technologies, Technology Strategy Board Assisted Living Innovations Platform (with ESRC and NIHR), £1.8M (2011–2014) Principal Applicant
- Voice Input Voice Output Communication Aid 2 (VIVOCA2), NIHR Health Technology Devices programme, £823,364, (50/50 DH grant / industrial match funding) (2010-2013) Principal Applicant
- McCullagh PJ, Nugent CD, Zheng H, Burns WP, Davies RJ, Black ND, Wright P, Hawley MS, Eccleston C, Mawson SJ & Mountain GA (2010) Promoting Behaviour Change in Long Term Conditions Using a Self-management Platform.
- Newbould L, Mountain G, Ariss S & Hawley MS (2019) Remote Health Care Provision in Care Homes in England: An Exploratory Mixed Methods Study of Yorkshire and the Humber †. Technologies, 7(1), 24.
- Andrews J, Brown L, Hawley M & Astell A (2019) Older adults’ perspectives on using digital technology to maintain good mental health. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 21(2). View this article in WRRO
- Easton K, Potter S, Bec R, Bennion M, Christensen H, Grindell C, Mirheidari B, Weich S, de Witte L, Wolstenholme D & Hawley M (2018) Co-designing and testing the acceptability of a virtual agent to support self-management for individuals living with physical and mental comorbidities (Preprint). Journal of Medical Internet Research.
- Alessa T, Abdi S, Hawley MS & de Witte L (2018) Mobile Apps to Support the Self-Management of Hypertension: Systematic Review of Effectiveness, Usability, and User Satisfaction.. JMIR mHealth and uHealth, 6(7), e10723. View this article in WRRO
- Abdi S, Wadugodapitiya A, Bedaf S, George CE, Norman G, Hawley M & De Witte L (2018) Identification of priority health conditions for field-based screening in urban slums in Bangalore, India. BMC Public Health, 18(1). View this article in WRRO
- Newbould LK, Mountain G, Hawley MS & Ariss S (2017) Videoconferencing for Health Care Provision for Older Adults in Care Homes: A Review of the Research Evidence. International Journal of Telemedicine and Applications, 2017(3). View this article in WRRO
- Hargreaves SA, Hawley MS, Haywood A & Enderby PM (2017) Informing the Design of “Lifestyle Monitoring” Technology for the Detection of Health Deterioration in Long-Term Conditions: A Qualitative Study of People Living With Heart Failure. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 19(6). View this article in WRRO
- Andrews JA, Astell AJ, Brown LJE, Harrison RF & Hawley MS (2017) Technology for Early Detection of Depression and Anxiety in Older People.. Health technology and informatics, 242, 374-380.
- Bentley CL, Otesile O, Bacigalupo R, Elliott J, Noble H, Hawley MS, Williams EA & Cudd P (2016) Feasibility study of portable technology for weight loss and HbA1c control in type 2 diabetes. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making, 16(1), 92-92. View this article in WRRO
- Taylor J, Coates E, Wessels B, Mountain G & Hawley MS (2015) Implementing solutions to improve and expand telehealth adoption: participatory action research in four community healthcare settings. BMC Health Services Research, 15. View this article in WRRO
- Taylor J, Coates E, Brewster L, Mountain G, Wessels B & Hawley M (2015) Examining the use of telehealth in community nursing: identifying the factors affecting frontline staff acceptance and telehealth adoption. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 71(2), 326-337. View this article in WRRO
- Judge S, Hawley MS, Cunningham S & Kirton A (2015) What is the potential for context aware communication aids?. Journal of Medical Engineering & Technology, 39(7), 448-453. View this article in WRRO
- Gorst SL, Armitage CJ, Brownsell S & Hawley MS (2014) Home telehealth uptake and continued use among heart failure and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients: a systematic review.. Ann Behav Med, 48(3), 323-336. View this article in WRRO
- Bartlett YK, Haywood A, Bentley CL, Parker J, Hawley MS, Mountain GA & Mawson S (2014) The SMART personalised self-management system for congestive heart failure: results of a realist evaluation. BMC Medical Informatics & Decision Making, 14. View this article in WRRO
- Coates L & Hawley M (2014) Understanding the operational, organisational and financial challenges in telehealth adoption through multi-disciplinary collaborative research. International Journal of Integrated Care, 14(8).
- Bentley C, Bartlett Y, Farwer J, Mountain G & Hawley M (2014) Using technology to help people with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) increase their physical activity – the ‘SMART3' project. International Journal of Integrated Care, 14(8).
- Bentley CL, Mountain GA, Thompson J, Fitzsimmons DA, Lowrie K, Parker SG & Hawley MS (2014) A pilot randomised controlled trial of a Telehealth intervention in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: challenges of clinician-led data collection. Trials, 15(1), 313. View this article in WRRO
- Bartlett YK, Sheeran P & Hawley MS (2014) Effective behaviour change techniques in smoking cessation interventions for people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: A meta-analysis. British Journal of Health Psychology, 19(1), 181-203. View this article in WRRO
- Brewster L, Mountain G, Wessels B, Kelly C & Hawley M (2014) Factors affecting front line staff acceptance of telehealth technologies: A mixed-method systematic review. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 70(1), 21-33.
- Cardinaux F, Brownsell S, Bradley D & Hawley MS (2013) A home daily activity simulation model for the evaluation of lifestyle monitoring systems. Computers in Biology and Medicine, 43(10), 1428-1436.
- Parker SG & Hawley MS (2013) Telecare for an ageing population?. Age Ageing, 42(4), 424-425.
- Gorst SL, Armitage C, Hawley M & Coates E (2013) Exploring patient beliefs and perceptions about sustained use of telehealth. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF INTEGRATED CARE, 13.
- Bacigalupo R, Cudd P, Littlewood C, Bissell P, Hawley MS & Buckley Woods H (2013) Interventions employing mobile technology for overweight and obesity: An early systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Obesity Reviews, 14(4), 279-291. View this article in WRRO
- Hawley M, Cunningham SP, Green PD, Enderby P, Palmer R, Sehgal S & O'Neill P (2013) A Voice-Input Voice-Output Communication Aid for People with Severe Speech Impairment. IEEE TRANSACTIONS IN NEURAL SYSTEMS AND REHABILITATION ENGINEERING, 21(1), 23-31. View this article in WRRO
- McCullagh PJ, Mountain GA, Black ND, Nugent CD, Zheng H, Davies RJ, Galway L, Hawley MS, Mawson SJ, Wright P , Eccleston C et al (2012) Knowledge transfer for technology based interventions: Collaboration, development and evaluation. Technology and Disability, 24(3), 233-243.
- Brownsell S, Blackburn S & Hawley MS (2012) User requirements for an ICT-based system to provide care, support and information access for older people in the community. Journal of Assistive Technologies, 6(1), 5-23.
- Brownsell S, Bradley D, Blackburn S, Cardinaux F & Hawley MS (2011) A systematic review of lifestyle monitoring technologies.. J Telemed Telecare, 17(4), 185-189. View this article in WRRO
- Blackburn S, Brownsell S & Hawley MS (2011) A systematic review of digital interactive television systems and their applications in the health and social care fields.. J Telemed Telecare, 17(4), 168-176.
- Judge S, Robertson Z & Hawley M (2011) The limitations of speech control: perceptions of provision of speech-driven environmental controls. Journal of Assistive Technologies, 5(1), 4-11. View this article in WRRO
- Fitzsimmons DA, Thompson J, Hawley M & Mountain GA (2011) Preventative tele-health supported services for early stage Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease: a pragmatic randomized controlled trial pilot. Trials, 12(6). View this article in WRRO
- Huang Y, Zheng H, Nugent C, McCullagh P, Black N, Hawley M & Mountain G (2011) Knowledge discovery from lifestyle profiles to support self-management of chronic heart failure. Computing in Cardiology, 38, 397-400.
- Brownsell S, Bradley D, Cardinaux F & Hawley M (2011) Developing a systems and informatics based approach to lifestyle monitoring within eHealth: Part II - Analysis & interpretation. Proceedings - 2011 1st IEEE International Conference on Healthcare Informatics, Imaging and Systems Biology, HISB 2011, 213-220.
- Brownsell S, Bradley D, Cardinauxm F & Hawley M (2011) Developing a systems and informatics based approach to lifestyle monitoring within eHealth: Part I - Technology and data management. Proceedings - 2011 1st IEEE International Conference on Healthcare Informatics, Imaging and Systems Biology, HISB 2011, 264-271.
- Cardinaux F, Bhowmik D, Abhayaratne C & Hawley MS (2011) Video based technology for ambient assisted living: A review of the literature. J AMB INTEL SMART EN, 3(3), 253-269. View this article in WRRO
- Creer S, Cunningham S, Hawley M & Wallis P (2011) Describing the interactive domestic robot setup for the SERA project. Applied Artificial Intelligence, 25(6), 445-473.
- Brownsell S, Bradley D, Blackburn S, Cardinaux F & Hawley MS (2011) A systematic review of lifestyle monitoring technologies. J TELEMED TELECARE, 17(4), 185-189.
- Brownsell S & Hawley MS (2010) ADOPTING TELEHEALTHCARE AS A MAINSTREAM SERVICE INNOVATION. GERONTOLOGIST, 50, 547-548.
- Brownsell S, Bradley D, Blackburn S, Cardinaux F & Hawley MS (2010) A review of behavioural monitoring methods and recommendations for future development. Gerontechnology, 9(2).
- Brownsell S, Haywood A, Hawley MS & Mountain G (2010) Determining features for telehealth applications which enhance self care for people with long term conditions. Gerontechnology, 9(2).
- Palmer R, Enderby P & Hawley M (2010) A voice input voice output communication aid: what do users and therapists require?. Journal of Assistive Technology, 2(4), 4-14.
- Zheng HR, Nugent C, McCullagh P, Huang Y, Zhang SM, Burns W, Davies R, Black N, Wright P, Mawson S , Eccleston C et al (2010) Smart self management: assistive technology to support people with chronic disease. J TELEMED TELECARE, 16(4), 224-227.
- Judge S, Robertson Z, Hawley M & Enderby P (2009) Speech-driven environmental control systems a qualitative analysis of users' perceptions. Disability and Rehabilitation: Assistive Technology, 4(3), 151-157. View this article in WRRO
- Bradley D, Acosta-Marquez C, Hawley M, Brownsell S, Enderby P & Mawson S (2009) NeXOS - The design, development and evaluation of a rehabilitation system for the lower limbs. MECHATRONICS, 19(2), 247-257. View this article in WRRO
- Payr S, Wallis P, Cunningham S & Hawley M (2009) Research on social engagement with a rabbitic user interface. Roots for the Future of Ambient Intelligence - Adjunct Proceedings, 3rd European Conference on Ambient Intelligence, AmI 2009, 65-68.
- Biddiss E, Brownsell S & Hawley MS (2009) Predicting need for intervention in individuals with congestive heart failure using a home-based telecare system. Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare, 15(5), 226-231. View this article in WRRO
- Bradley DA, Acosta-Marquez C, Hawley M, Brownsell S, Enderby P & Mawson S (2009) Remote rehabilitation - The NeXOS project: Lessons learnt and questions raised. 2009 IEEE International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics, ICORR 2009, 956-961.
- Brownsell S, Biddiss E & Hawley M (2009) Information communication technology-enabled health care at home. Geriatrics and Aging, 12(6), 328-333.
- Brownsell S, Aldred H, Young T & Hawley MS (2008) Reforming healthcare through information and communication technologies. Journal of Care Services Management, 2(3), 286-300.
- Brownsell S, Blackburn S & Hawley MS (2008) An evaluation of second and third generation telecare services in older people's housing.. J Telemed Telecare, 14(1), 8-12.
- Hawley MS, Enderby P, Green P, Cunningham S, Brownsell S, Carmichael J, Parker M, Hatzis A, O'Neill P & Palmer R (2007) A speech-controlled environmental control system for people with severe dysarthria.. Med Eng Phys, 29(5), 586-593.
- Palmer R, Enderby P & Hawley M (2007) Addressing the needs of speakers with longstanding dysarthria: computerized and traditional therapy compared.. Int J Lang Commun Disord, 42 Suppl 1, 61-79. View this article in WRRO
- Brownsell S, Aldred H & Hawley MS (2007) The role of telecare in supporting the needs of elderly people.. J Telemed Telecare, 13(6), 293-297.
- Parker M, Cunningham S, Enderby P, Hawley M & Green P (2006) Automatic speech recognition and training for severely dysarthric users of assistive technology: the STARDUST project.. Clin Linguist Phon, 20(2-3), 149-156.
- Bacigalupo R, Cooke J & Hawley M (2006) Research activity, interest and skills in a health and social care setting, a snapshot of a primary care trust in northern England: implications for collaboration and capacity. Primary Health Care Research & Development, 7(1), 68-77.
- Aldred H, Barlow J, Brownsell S, Curry R & Hawley M (2005) Gerontechnology: Meeting whose needs?. Gerontechnology, 3(4).
- Brownsell S, Aldred H & Hawley M (2005) The role of assistive technology in addressing the care and support needs of older people. Gerontechnology, 3(4).
- Brownsell S, Bradley D, Acosta-Marquez C, Hawley M, Enderby P & Mawson S (2005) Nexos: Remote rehabilitation using an intelligent exoskeleton. Gerontechnology, 3(4).
- Hawley MS, Green P, Enderby P, Cunningham S & Moore RK (2005) Speech technology for e-inclusion of people with physical disabilities and disordered speech. 9th European Conference on Speech Communication and Technology, 445-448.
- Bradley DA, Hawley M, Enderby P, Brownsell SJ, Mawson S & Acosta-Marquez C (2004) NeXOS – The Design of an Active Exoskeleton to Support Rehabilitation. IFAC Proceedings Volumes, 37(14), 483-488.
- Brownsell S & Hawley M (2004) Fall detectors: Do they work or reduce the fear of falling?. Housing Care and Support, Volume 7(Issue 1), 18-24.
- Brownsell S & Hawley MS (2004) Automatic fall detectors and the fear of falling.. J Telemed Telecare, 10(5), 262-266. View this article in WRRO
- Hawley MS (2002) Speech recognition as an input to electronic assistive technology. British Journal of Occupational Therapy, 65(1), 15-20.
- Hawley MS, O'Neill P, Webb LH & Roast CR (2002) A provision framework and data logging tool to aid the prescription of electronic assistive technology. Technology and Disability, 14(2), 43-52.
- Cherry AD, Cudd PA & Hawley MS (1996) Providing rehabilitation integrated systems using existing rehabilitation technology. Medical Engineering and Physics, 18(3), 187-192.
- Hawley MS, Cudd PA & Cherry AD (1994) Implementation of a PC-based integrated control system for children.. Med Eng Phys, 16(3), 237-242.
- Hawley MS, Cudd PA, Wells JH, Wilson AJ & Judd PL (1992) Wheelchair-mounted integrated control systems for multiply handicapped people.. J Biomed Eng, 14(3), 193-198.
- Hawley MS, Conway J, Amasha H, Mangnall YF & van Rhoon GC (1992) Electrical impedance tomography: prospects for non-invasive control of deep hyperthermia treatments.. Front Med Biol Eng, 4(2), 119-128.
- Conway J, Hawley M, Mangnall Y, Amasha H & van Rhoon GC (1992) Experimental assessment of electrical impedance imaging for hyperthermia monitoring.. Clin Phys Physiol Meas, 13 Suppl A, 185-189.
- Mangion DM, Hawley MS & Norcliffe D (1991) Lower limb arterial disease: assessment of risk factors in an elderly population.. Atherosclerosis, 91(1-2), 137-143.
- Hawley MS, Broquetas A, Jofre L, Bolomey JC & Gaboriaud G (1991) Microwave imaging of tissue blood content changes.. J Biomed Eng, 13(3), 197-202.
- Jofre L, Hawley MS, Broquetas A, de los Reyes E, Ferrando M & Elias-Fusté AR (1990) Medical imaging with a microwave tomographic scanner.. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng, 37(3), 303-312.
- BROQUETAS A, HAWLEY MS, JOFRE L, DELOSREYES E & ALMIRALL H (1989) ACTIVE MICROWAVE COMPUTED-TOMOGRAPHY CYLINDRICAL SCANNER FOR BIOMEDICAL APPLICATIONS. J PHOTOGR SCI, 37(3-4), 151-&.
- Hawley MS, Conway J, Anderson AP & Cudd PA (1988) The influence of tissue layering on microwave thermographic measurements. International Journal of Hyperthermia, 4(4), 427-435.
- GAUTHERIE M, LAVOINE C, GABORIAUD G, LAVERGNE C, BOLOMEY JC & HAWLEY M (1987) MICROWAVE TOMOGRAPHY IN NONINVASIVE CONTROL OF HYPERTHERMIA. INT J HYPERTHER, 3(6), 563-564.
- CONWAY J, Cudd P, Anderson AP & Hawley MS (1987) A 2.45 GHz 16-channel waveguide, phased array hyperthermia system: phantom measurements. International Journal of Hyperthermia, 3(6), 557-557.
- Cudd PA, Anderson AP, Hawley MS & Conway J (1986) Phased-Array Design Considerations for Deep Hyperthermia Through Layered Tissue. IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, 34(5), 526-531.
- HAWLEY MS, CUDD P, CONWAY J & ANDERSON AP (1985) MICROWAVE FIELD PREDICTIONS IN LAYERED TISSUE - EFFECT ON RADIOMETER MEASUREMENTS. STRAHLENTHER ONKOL, 161(9), 535-535.
- CONWAY J, HAWLEY MS, SEAGAR AD, BROWN BH & BARBER DC (1985) NONINVASIVE THERMAL MONITORING BY AN APPLIED POTENTIAL TOMOGRAPHIC METHOD (APT). STRAHLENTHER ONKOL, 161(9), 528-528.
- CONWAY J, HAWLEY MS, SEAGAR AD, BROWN BH & BARBER DC (1985) APPLIED POTENTIAL TOMOGRAPHY (APT) FOR NONINVASIVE THERMAL IMAGING DURING HYPERTHERMIA TREATMENT. ELECTRON LETT, 21(19), 836-838.
- HAWLEY M, CONWAY J, ANDERSON AP & MELEK M (1984) A MICRO-WAVE RADIOMETER FOR NON-INVASIVE TEMPERATURE-MEASUREMENT DURING HYPERTHERMIA TREATMENT. J PHOTOGR SCI, 32(4), 152-152.
- HAWLEY M, CONWAY J, ANDERSON AP & MELEK M (1984) A MICROWAVE RADIOMETER FOR NON-INVASIVE TEMPERATURE-MEASUREMENT DURING HYPERTHERMIA TREATMENT. PHYS MED BIOL, 29(2), 167-167.
- CONWAY J, HAWLEY M & ANDERSON AP (1984) A FEASIBILITY STUDY OF MICROWAVE THERMOGRAPHIC MAPPING FOR USE DURING HYPERTHERMIA TREATMENT. CLIN PHYS PHYSIOL M, 5(4), 285-294.
- Hawley M, Anderson AP, Conway J & Melek M (1983) MICROWAVE THERMOGRAPHIC IMAGING FOR USE DURING HYPERTHERMIA TREATMENT OF MALIGNANT DISEASE.. IEE Colloquium (Digest)(1983 /89).
- Bartlett YK, Webb TL & Hawley MS () Using Persuasive Technology to Increase Physical Activity in People With Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease by Encouraging Regular Walking: A Mixed-Methods Study Exploring Opinions and Preferences. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 19(4), e124-e124. View this article in WRRO
- Mawson SJ, McCullagh P, Nugent C, Zheng H, Burns W, Davies R, Black N, Wright P, Hawley M, Mountain G & Eccleston C (2010) Promoting behaviour change in long term conditions using a self management platform In Langdon P, Clarkson J & Robinson P (Ed.), Designing Inclusive Interactions (pp. 229-238). London: Springer.
Conference proceedings papers
- Easton K, Burton T, Ariss S, Bradburn M & Hawley M (2017) Smart Clothing for Falls Protection and Detection: User-Centred Co-Design and Feasibility Study.. Health technology and informatics, Vol. 242 (pp 152-159) View this article in WRRO
- Newbould L, Mountain G, Hawley M & Ariss S (2017) Remote Health Care Provision in Care Homes.. Health technology and informatics, Vol. 242 (pp 148-151)
- Judge S, Nasr N & Hawley M (2017) A User-Centred Approach Exploring the Potential of a Novel EMG Switch for Control of Assistive Technology.. Health technology and informatics, Vol. 242 (pp 381-384) View this article in WRRO
- Clarke Z, Judge S, Heron N, Langley J, Hosking I & Hawley M (2011) User Involvement in the Early Development of Assistive Technology Devices, Vol. 29 (pp 362-373). Nieuwe Hemweg 6B 1013 BG Amsterdam The Netherlands View this article in WRRO
- Judge S, Clarke Z & Hawley MS (2011) Investigating the Success Factors of Expert Users to Inform Device Development, Vol. 29 (pp 995-1003). Nieuwe Hemweg 6B 1013 BG Amsterdam The Netherlands View this article in WRRO
- Hargreaves S, Hawley MS & Campbell MJ (2011) Telecare lifestyle monitoring-built on a strong foundation?. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF INTEGRATED CARE, Vol. 11
- McCullagh P, Nugent CD, Zheng H, Zhang S, Huang Y, Davies RJ, Black ND, Wright P, Hawley M, Eccleston C , Mawson SJ et al (2011) Knowledge capture for self management of long-term conditions. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF INTEGRATED CARE, Vol. 11
- Hawley MS & Brownsell S (2011) Mainstream adoption: assistive technology transfer's final hurdle.. Assistive Technology Research Series, Vol. 29 (pp 340-346). Maastricht, 31 August 2011 - 2 September 2011.
- Haywood A, Brownsell S , Hawley MS & Mountain G (2011) Development of an integrated telehealth system to facilitate self management of long term conditions.. Assistive Technology Research Series, Vol. 29 (pp 1051-1057). Maastricht, 31 August 2011 - 2 September 2011.
- Judge S, Robertson Z & Hawley MS (2009) Users’ Perceptions of Environmental Control Systems. AAATE 2009, Vol. 25 (pp 426-431). Nieuwe Hemweg 6B 1013 BG Amsterdam The Netherlands View this article in WRRO
- Bradley DA, Acosta-Marquez C, Hawley M, Brownsell S, Enderby P, Mawson S & IEEE (2009) Remote Rehabilitation - The NeXOS project: Lessons Learnt and Questions Raised. 2009 IEEE 11TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON REHABILITATION ROBOTICS, VOLS 1 AND 2 (pp 1115-+)
- Cudd P, Judge S & Hawley M (2009) An Innovations Broker that Increases Availability of Assistive Technology. ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY FROM ADAPTED EQUIPMENT TO INCLUSIVE ENVIRONMENTS, Vol. 25 (pp 748-753) View this article in WRRO
- Zheng H, Nugent CD, McCullagh PJ, Black ND, Eccleston C, Bradley D, Hawley MS, Brownsell S, Mawson SJ, Wright PC & Mountain GA (2008) Towards a Decision Support Personalised Self Management System for Chronic Conditions.. ICNSC (pp 1521-1524)
- Cardinaux F, Brownsell S, Hawley M & Bradley D (2008) Modelling of Behavioural Patterns for Abnormality Detection in the Context of Lifestyle Reassurance. PROGRESS IN PATTERN RECOGNITION, IMAGE ANALYSIS AND APPLICATIONS, PROCEEDINGS, Vol. 5197 (pp 243-251)
- Hanson J, Percival J, Aldred H, Brownsell S & Hawley MS (2007) Attitudes to telecare among older people, professional care workers and informal carers: a preventative strategy or crisis management?. Universal Access in the Information Society, Vol. 6 (pp 193-205)
- Hawley M, Cunningham S, Cardinaux F, Coy A, O'Neill P, Seghal S & Enderby P (2007) Challenges in developing a Voice Input Voice Output Communication Aid for People with Severe Dysarthria. CHALLENGES FOR ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY, Vol. 20 (pp 363-367) View this article in WRRO
- Cudd P, Boyle B & Hawley M (2007) Who Determines the Ethics of AT Research?. CHALLENGES FOR ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY, Vol. 20 (pp 605-609)
- Brownsell S, Blackburn SJ, Aldred H & Hawley MS (2006) Two telecare examples from the UK: lifestyle reassurance and chronic heart failure. WMSCI 2006: 10TH WORLD MULTI-CONFERENCE ON SYSTEMICS, CYBERNETICS AND INFORMATICS, VOL IV, PROCEEDINGS (pp 136-141)
- Acosta-Marquez C, Bradley D, Hawley M, Brownsell S, Enderby P, Buri H, Mawson S, Scott E & O'Neill P (2006) Design requirements and user interfacing for a rehabilitation robot for the lower limbs. 2006 IEEE Conference on Robotics, Automation and Mechatronics, Vols 1 and 2 (pp 499-504)
- Hawley MS, Enderby P, Green P, Cunningham S & Palmer R (2006) Development of a voice-input voice-output communication aid (VIVOCA) for people with severe dysarthria. COMPUTERS HELPING PEOPLE WITH SPECIAL NEEDS, PROCEEDINGS, Vol. 4061 (pp 882-885)
- Mawson S, Enderby P, Bradley D, Acosta-Marquez CA, Hawley M, Brownsell SJ & Buri H (2005) User involvement in the development of remote assistive technology will for rehabilitation of spinal cord injury. JOURNAL OF THE NEUROLOGICAL SCIENCES, Vol. 238 (pp S346-S346)
- Mawson SJ, Bradley D, Hawley M, Enderby P & brownsell S (2005) The design of an active exoskeleton to support rehabilitation. 3rd IFAC Conference on Mechatronic Systems (pp 505-510), 15 September 2004 - 17 September 2004.
- Aldred H, Amaral T, Brownsell S, Arnott JL, Hawley MS & Hine N (2005) Supporting older people through telecare. Assistive Technology: From Virtuality to Reality, Vol. 16 (pp 41-45)
- Green PD, Carmichael J, Hatzis A, Enderby P, Hawley MS & Parker M (2003) Automatic speech recognition with sparse training data for dysarthric speakers.. INTERSPEECH
- Roast C, O'Neill P & Hawley M (2002) Improved assistive technology prescription via usage log analysis. UNIVERSAL ACCESS AND ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY (pp 235-244)
- O'Neill P, Roast C & Hawley M (2000) Evaluation of scanning user interfaces using real-time-data usage logs.. ASSETS (pp 137-141)
- Hawley MS, O'Neill P & Webb LH (1999) A provision framework and software tools to aid the prescription of electronic assistive technology: Results of a case study. ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY ON THE THRESHOLD OF THE NEW MILLENNIUM, Vol. 6 (pp 728-732)
- Cherry AD, Hawley MS, Freeman M & Cudd PA (1994) Human-Computer Interfacing for the Severely Physically Disabled.. ICCHP, Vol. 860 (pp 177-184)
- Cudd PA, Freeman M, Yates RB, Wilson AJ, Cooke MP & Hawley MS (1994) The CORES Project.. ICCHP, Vol. 860 (pp 493-495)
- CUDD PA, HAWLEY MS, DALSGAARD P, AZEVEDO L, AGUILERA S & GRANSTROM B (1993) MULTIMODALITY AIDS FOR PEOPLE WITH IMPAIRED COMMUNICATION (MAPIC). REHABILITATION TECHNOLOGY : STRATEGIES FOR THE EUROPEAN UNION, Vol. 9 (pp 118-122)
- Cudd PA & Hawley MS (1992) Inexpensive PC-based integrated control systems for severely physically disabled people, Vol. 4 (pp 1648-1649)
- Hawley MS, Bolomey JC, de Talhouet H, Lavergne C & Gaboriaud G (1987) COMPARISON OF ACTIVE AND PASSIVE MICROWAVE IMAGING FOR NON-INVASIVE THERMAL SENSING DURING HYPERTHERMIA.. IEEE/Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society Annual Conference (pp 1933-1934)
- Conway J, Anderrson AP, Cudd PA, Smith FC & Hawley MS (1987) Evaluation of a contacting phased array for hyperthermic treatment of lung tumours. Conference Proceedings - European Microwave Conference (pp 375-380)
- Gautherie M, Lavoine C, Gaboriaud G, Lavergne C, Bolomey JC, Hawley M & Berthaud P (1987) MICROWAVE TOMOGRAPHY IN NON-INVASIVE CONTROL OF HYPERTHERMIA.. IEEE/Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society Annual Conference (pp 1618-1619)
- Conway J, Anderson AP, Cudd PA, Smith FC & Hawley MS (1987) Eualuation of a Contacting Phased Array for Hyperthermic Treatment of Lung Tumours (pp 375-380)
- Cudd PA, Anderson AP, Conway J & Hawley MS (1987) MICROWAVE PHASED ARRAY SYSTEM FOR DEEP HYPERTHERMIA THROUGH LAYERED TISSUE.. IEE Conference Publication(274) (pp 263-266)
- Cudd PA, Anderson AP, Hawley MS & Conway J (1986) PHASED ARRAY DESIGN FOR DEEP HYPERTHERMIA THROUGH LAYERED TISSUE.. IEE Colloquium (Digest)(1986 /73)
- Cudd PA, Hawley MS, Conway J & Anderson AP (1985) NON-INVASIVE PHASED ARRAY TECHNIQUE FOR ACHIEVING DEEP HYPERTHERMIA.. Conference Proceedings - European Microwave Conference (pp 661-666)
- Prescott TJ, Epton T, Evers V, McKee K, Hawley M, Webb T, Benyon D, Conran S, De Cock Buning M, Verschure PFMJ & Dario P () Robot Companions For Citizens: Roadmapping The Potential For Future Robots In Empowering Older People. BRAID (Bridging Research in Ageing and ICT Development) Final Conference, 29 May 2012. View this article in WRRO
- Judge S, Nasr N & Hawley M () T4I2016 - Judge, Simon; Nasr, Nasrin; Hawley, Mark: The potential application of EMG as assistive technology: a usability study