Emeritus Professor Allen Hutchinson
Section of Public Health
The University of Sheffield
30 Regent Street
Tel: +44 (0) 114 222 0811
Fax: +44 (0) 114 222 0749 (non-confidential)
email : email@example.com
I qualified in medicine at the University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne in 1970 and became a Principal in General Practice in Ashington, Northumberland from 1974 to 1989. I worked in the Centre for Health Services Research at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne from 1980 to 1993, when I took a joint appointment as Professor of Public Health at the University of Hull and Director of Public Health for Hull and East Riding.
I came to the University of Sheffield in 1997 as Director of the Section of Public Health until 2007 and had an Honorary Consultant contract with NHS Yorkshire and the Humber until December 2008.
In October 2010 I took retirement and have been awarded an Emeritus Professorship.
- Safer health care, with particular interest in applied ergonomics
- Effective clinical practice at the interface between primary and secondary care
- Evidence based practice
- Engaging medical students and health care staff in the safer patients agenda
Activities and Distinctions
- Dean, Faculty of Medicine, 2007-2008
- Member, NICE Guidelines Committee, 2001-2003
- Chair, Chief Medical Officer's Working Group on CFS/ME, 1999-2001
- Methodology Research Programme. Medical Records Review Methods [PI], £476000, 2004-2007
- European Commission DG Sanco. Mapping Professional Home Care in Europe [Co-investigator] Euro 97000, 2007-2010
- European Commission DG Sanco. Primary Healthcare Activity Monitor for Europe (Co-investigator), Euro 95000, 2007-2010
- DoH Policy Research Programme. Safety and Effectiveness of Supplementary Prescribing [Co-investigator], £250000, 2005-2008
- Patient Safety Research Programme. Medication Hazard Analysis [Co-investigator] £75000, 2004-2005
- National Patient Safety Agency. Factors Influencing Rates of Adverse Event Reporting by Hospitals [PI], £15000, 2005-2006
- Royal College of General Practitioners (NICE Guideline Programme) [PI], £450000, 2001-2004
A Hutchinson, J E Coster, K L Cooper, M Pearson, A McIntosh, P A Bath, A structured judgement method to enhance mortality case note review: development and evaluation. BMJ Quality and Safety 2013 doi:10.1136/bmjqs-2013-001839
Cooper RJ, Bissell P, Ward P, Murphy E, Anderson C, Avery T, James V, Lymn J, Guillaume L, Hutchinson A, Ratcliffe J. Further challenges to medical dominance? The case of nurse and pharmacist supplementary prescribing. Health (London) 2012;16:115-133
O’Hara R, O’Keefe C, Mason S, Coster JE, Hutchinson A. Quality and safety of care provided by emergency care practitioners. Emergency Medicine Journal 2011; doi: 10.1136/emj.2010.104190
Hutchinson A, McIntosh A, Cox S, Gilbert C. Towards efficient guidelines: how to monitor guideline use in primary care. Health Technol Assesst,2003;7:18.
Hutchinson A, Cooper KL, Dean JE, McIntosh A, Patterson M, Stride CB, Laurance BE, Smith CM. Using a safety climate questionnaire in UK healthcare: factor structure, reliability and usability. Quality & Safety in Health Care 2006;15:347-353
Karnon J, McIntosh A, Dean JE, Bath PA, Hutchinson A, Oakley J, Thomas N, Pratt P, Freeman-Parry L, Karsh B-T, Gandhi T, Tappenden P. A prospective hazard and improvement analytic approach to predicting the effectiveness of medication error interventions. Safety Science2007;45:523-539
Dean JE, Hutchinson A, Hamilton Escoto K, Lawson R. Using a multi-method, user centred, prospective hazard analysis to assess care quality and patient safety in a care pathway. BMC Health Services Research 2007;7:89 Biomedcentral
Hutchinson A, Young TA, Cooper KL, McIntosh A, Karnon JD, Scobie S, Thomson RG. Trends in healthcare incident reporting and relationship to safety and quality data in acute hospitals: results from the National Reporting and Learning System. Qual Saf Health Care 2009;18:5-10
Muth C, Genischen J, Beyer M, Hutchinson A, Gerlach M. The Systematic Guideline Review: Method, rationale, and test on chronic heart failure. BMC Health Services Research 2009;9:74
Hutchinson A, Coster JE, Cooper KL, McIntosh A, Walters SJ, Bath PA, et al. Comparison of case note review methods for evaluating quality and safety in health care. Health Technol Assess 2010;14(10).
Kringos DS, Boerma WGW, Hutchinson A, van der Zee J, Groenewegen PP. The breadth of primary care: a systematic literature review of its core dimensions. BMC Health Services Research 2010; 10:65 doi:10.1186/1472-6963-10-65
Hutchinson A, Coster JE, Cooper KL, McIntosh A, Bath PA, Walters SJ, Pearson M, et al. Assessing quality of care from hospital case notes: comparision of reliability of two methods. Qual Saf Health Care 2010;18:in press