Data Analytics and Society Centre for Doctoral Training
The CDT offers exciting opportunities to undertake a 4-year funded integrated MSc and PhD in Data Analytics and Society
Data Analytics and Society is an ESRC-funded Centre for Doctoral Training (CDT) providing postgraduate research and training at the Sheffield Methods Institute and three other universities (Leeds, Liverpool and Manchester).
The programme includes an integrated MSc in Data Analytics over the first two years which will provide you with the foundation skills to complete your research project.
The centre is focused on:
- Promoting the creation and analysis of new longitudinal and streamed data resources for socio-economic investigations
- Creating new methods (eg scaling up existing methods for real-time big data analytics)
- Investigating social processes (eg virtualisation of retailing; data-driven decision making and social behaviours)
- Facilitating interventions (eg resource targeting, network planning, social media apps for diet, travel, lifestyle planning)
Many PhD students do not have the opportunity to work with an industry partner, and many integrated MSc/PhD students do not get the chance to progress towards their PhD in the first year, so both of these elements make the Data CDT unique"
Postgraduate researcher at CDT
Read our case study on Emily Coupland and Dubit's partnership.
Opportunities for industry partners
The CDT is co-funded by external organisations. We are committed to developing a substantial portfolio of external partners to co-develop PhD and internship projects.
We seek non-academic partners from all sectors with an interest in evidence-based analytics of social systems.
Partners are invited to engage with the centre for a four year period to:
- Access world-class research expertise across a range of disciplines including mathematics, computer science and the social sciences
- Co-develop the Centre’s portfolio of projects and receive first access to research findings
- Propose specific projects that address advanced analytics challenges within your organisation – these could be either a full studentship or a shorter intern project
- Host short student intern placements as part of a programme of engagement
- Access specialist data science training courses
- Attend consortium conferences and networking events
Why Numbers Matter
SMI's series on why it's important to get numbers right.
Find a PhD
Search for PhD opportunities at Sheffield and be part of our world-leading research.