Clinical Skills Centre
Our Clinical Skills Centre is based at the Northern General Hospital, one of the largest hospitals in the country. The centre contains mock clinical wards, resuscitation suites, simulated theatres and teaching rooms – a perfect facility for training the healthcare professionals of tomorrow.
The facilities have been chosen to reflect what is currently used in the clinical workplace, and provide support for the teaching, learning and assessment of our students in a variety of clinical and simulated settings.
The space on each of the floors has been carefully designed to follow the General Medical Council’s recommendations and provides the best support for the teaching, assessments and learning opportunities for medical, dental and nursing students in a variety of clinical and simulated settings.
A range of high fidelity simulators are available within the centre along with audio visual recording equipment at 24 bed spaces to enable feedback and reflection on students performances.
Within the centre we have a team of highly experienced staff from a range of health care backgrounds to facilitate and deliver the teaching and practice sessions for our undergraduate students and other external trainees.
Students attend timetabled sessions but are also encouraged to use designated clinical skills rooms and the computer suite for self-directed learning.
The centre is based over three floors:
- Ground floor
- Teaching rooms
- Reception for Patients as Educators
- First floor
- Ward areas: Three simulated wards containing four of five bed spaces per room. Each space is equipped with bedhead trunking, electronic tilting beds and piped air. There is also an observation/control room between ward 2 and 3.
- Simulated Home: A great facility for occupational therapy practice. The home is used to give students an insight into the practicalities of caring for patients within their own home environment. The flat comprises of a kitchen, living area and simulated bathroom.
- Resuscitation Monitoring Suite, Simulated Theatre and Treatment Bay: These are all multi-functional rooms where we provide a range of skills including: basic surgical skills, basic and in hospital life support, infection control, wet lab facilities.
- Filming Studio: Large studio equipped with state of the art visual and audio equipment, green screen and lighting equipment.
- Computer Room: Large study area equipped with PCs for self-directed learning.
- Atrium: Light and airy open space with drinks and snacks machines and a large balcony for general relaxation and informal meetings.
- Second floor
- Two multi-purpose ward areas: with full bedhead trunking, couches and piped oxygen.
- Self-directed individual skills rooms equipped for: Cardiac Monitoring; Catheterisation Suites (male and female); Respiratory Function Suite; Urinalysis Suite.
- Two seminar/ lecture rooms: with full audio visual presentation equipment (seat 60 and 25)
Wifi is available throughout Samuel Fox House.
There are also four seminar rooms within Sam Fox House with full AV equipment that can be used for meetings and lectures. These are available to hire through University Room and Parking on:
firstname.lastname@example.org or 0114-222-9060
For hire of the clinical skills centre, equipment or individual rooms please contact:
Emma Hudson on 0114-222-6136 or email email@example.com