Students are reminded of the "Our Commitment" partnership document, which sets out the expectations of both the University and of students, in order to help ensure the best learning experience.


For informal or formal complaints about the delivery and quality of services received, or about the delivery and quality of teaching, tutorial support, supervisory provision or any other matters relating to a programme of study.


Having first attempted to resolve matters by talking with the department or service concerned, a student can make an informal complaint by completing a Complaints Form, and sending it to the address shown on the form.  The complaint is considered first by the Head of the appropriate department or service (unless the complaint relates to that individual).  If it is not resolved at that stage, you can then submit a further formal Complaints Form which will be referred by a nominee of the Registrar and Secretary to the appropriate Faculty Officer or other person.

If you are still not satisfied with a decision taken in respect of a complaint or appeal, you may submit a Case Review Request Form requesting that your case be reviewed by a Pro-Vice-Chancellor.  You may only request a Case Review on one or more of the following grounds:-

  1. that there was a material procedural irregularity which rendered the process leading to the decision taken in respect of the formal complaint or academic appeal unfair;
  2. that material which the student could not reasonably have been expected to produce at the time of the decision taken in respect of the formal complaint or academic appeal casts substantial doubt upon the appropriateness of that decision;
  3. that the decision taken in respect of the formal complaint or academic appeal was manifestly unreasonable.


Advice for Students

The Student Advice Centre can give independent advice to a student on their position. In addition, they have a suite of self-help pages on how to lodge a Complaint, which contain clear explanations on how to submit a Complaint, and the support available to you from the Student Advice Centre. You are strongly encouraged to read these pages before submitting a Complaint. Should you need further guidance after reading the pages, you can contact the Advice Centre for an appointment with an academic adviser.


Download Case Review Panel Procedural Notes (WORD 35.5KB)

External Review

If recourse to the University┬┤s internal procedures has not resulted in the resolution of a complaint or academic appeal to the student's satisfaction, the student may be able to apply for a review of the complaint/academic appeal by the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education (OIA), provided that the complaint or academic appeal taken to the OIA is eligible under its Rules. This is an independent review scheme and forms no part of the University's review or appeal procedures. The OIA will normally only review issues that have been dealt with through the University's internal procedures. The Student Advice Centre can advise on this independent review process. The OIA website can be found at:


Download Complaints Form (WORD 209KB)

Download Complaints Form (PDF 103KB)

Download Information for Students Submitting a Complaint (PDF 84KB)

Download Case Review Request Form (WORD 103KB)

Download Case Review Request Form (PDF 94KB)

Please Note: Separate procedures exist for Admissions complaints and appeals (i.e. for prospective students applying to study at the University):