Student progress appeals

How to appeal a decision made by the University's student review committee.


Making sure you have grounds for appeal

You may only appeal against a decision made by the committee based on one or more of the following grounds:

  • There was a material procedural irregularity that rendered the process leading to the initial decision unfair.
  • Material that you could not reasonably have been expected to produce at the time of the initial decision casts substantial doubt upon the appropriateness of that decision.
  • The initial decision was manifestly unreasonable.

The appeal process

Complete the Progress Appeals form included with the decision letter sent out to you following the Faculty Student Review Committee hearing, as per the instructions in the letter.

Advice for students

The Student Advice Centre can offer independent advice to students who want to appeal a decision made by the student review committee.


To read the general regulations for student progress appeals, look for the relevant academic year in the University Calendar.

External review

The Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education (OIA) runs an independent scheme to review student complaints. The University of Sheffield is a member of this scheme.

If you are unhappy with the outcome of your appeal, you may be able to ask the OIA to review your case. Information about making a complaint to the OIA, what it can and cannot look at, and what it can do to put things right is available on the OIA website.

You will normally be required to have gone through the student complaints procedure at the University before you can refer to the OIA. Once you have reached the end of the procedure, and there are no further steps they can take internally, you will receive a 'completion of procedures' letter.

A world top-100 university

We're a world top-100 university renowned for the excellence, impact and distinctiveness of our research-led learning and teaching.