University Bursary for Estranged Students
This page outlines the University of Sheffield Bursary for estranged students and how to apply.
To be considered for the enhanced bursary, you must be:
- under the age of 25 on the first day of your course
- studying a full-time or part-time undergraduate or postgraduate course
- meet the eligibility criteria of Student Finance England or equivalent funding body (undergraduate students only)
- have been assessed as independent by Student Finance England or equivalent funding body (undergraduate students only)
Where you started an undergraduate course after September 2015, the bursary award is:
- £4,500 for full-time students
- £2,250 for part-time students
Where you have not been assessed as independent by Student Finance, you must make an appointment with a Money Advisor in the Student Advice Centre.
Where you are applying for independent support from Student Finance as a registered student and you experience financial difficulties, you may wish to consider applying for financial support.
Where you are studying a postgraduate course, you are eligible to apply for support with study costs.
Where you are studying by distance learning and facing financial difficulties, you will not be eligible for a bursary. We recommend applying for financial support.
Where you studied your undergraduate degree with us and you received the Estranged Student Bursary, you do not need to provide any additional evidence.
How to Apply
1. Please inform us of your circumstances via the web form below.
2. You must also provide evidence to confirm your estrangement (e.g. supporting letter on headed paper stating you have been assessed as an independent student from a professional/third party such as your former head teacher/external agency). Please contact the Financial Support Team if you experience difficulty sourcing this evidence.
3. Email your evidence to the Financial Support Team.
Where you require help with your application, please contact the Student Advice Centre.
Terms and Conditions
- Your bursary does not need to be repaid and will not affect your student finance.
- Where you withdraw from your course, you may need to repay a percentage of your bursary that you received in that academic year. Please contact the financial support team.
- Where you take a leave of absence during the year, you will not be eligible to receive any further instalments due to be paid.
- Bursaries must be assessed and paid within the academic year and cannot be backdated for previous years.
- Where you have been awarded the Sheffield Postgraduate Scholarship you cannot apply for this support.