Dr Hua-Liang Wei
BSc, MSc, PhD
Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering
+44 114 222 5198
Full contact details
Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering
Amy Johnson Building
Dr Wei is head of the following two Labs:
Dynamical Modelling, Data Mining and Decision Making (3DM)
Digital Medicine & Computational Neuroscience (DMCN)
- Research interests
- Identification and modelling for complex nonlinear systems
- NARMAX methodology and applications.
- Artificial neural networks (ANN), radial basis function networks (RBFN), wavelet neural networks and multiresolution wavelet models, computational statistics, machine learning, intelligent computation and data mining.
- Regression analysis, parameter estimation and optimization, sparse representation.
- Nonlinear and nonstationary (time-varying) signal processing, system identification and data modelling.
- Spatio-temporal system identification and modelling.
- Bioscience signal processing and data modelling
- Neurophysiology and neuro-imaging data modelling and analysis.
- EEG, fMRI and ECG data processing, modelling and analysis.
- Data based classification, pattern recognition, anomaly detection, with applications in clinical and medical diagnosis and prognosis.
- Forecasting and analysis of complex stochastic dynamical processes with applications in
- Space weather systems.
- Environmental systems.
- Computational economics and finance.
- New concepts and methodologies developments for the identification and analysis of nonlinear complex systems.
- Applications and developments of signal processing, system identification and data modelling to control engineering, bioengineering, neuroscience, systems/synthetic biology, environments, space weather and other emerging areas.
The Dynamical Modelling, Data Mining and Decision Making (3DM) Lab
As part of the Complex Systems and Signal Processing Research Group, led by Professor Billings, this Lab conducts a wide scope of research in developing methods and algorithms for system identification, dynamical modelling, machine learning, data mining, signal processing, nonlinear system analysis, forecasting and decision making, with applications in general engineering, environment, medicine, neuroscience and computational biology, bioinformatics, cheminformatics, space, social dynamics, model and data based decision making, and other emerging areas.
- Department of Geography, University of Sheffield
- Department of Chemistry, University of Sheffield
- Department of Oncology, University of Sheffield
- Department of Psychology, University of Sheffield
- Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Royal Hallamshire Hospital
- School of Aerospace Engineering, Beijing Institute of Technology, China
- School of Automation Science and Electrical Engineering, Beihang University, China
The Digital Medicine & Computational Neuroscience (DMCN) Lab
As part of the Complex Systems and Signal Processing Research Group, led by Professor Billings, this Lab conducts a wide scope of research in developing methods and algorithms for system identification, biomedical and neurophysiological signal processing, causality analysis, time-varying modelling, medical image processing, healthcare, digital medicine, decision making based on digital data.
● Department of Chemistry, University of Sheffield
● Department of Oncology, University of Sheffield
● Department of Psychology, University of Sheffield
● Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Royal Hallamshire Hospital
- Identification and modelling for complex nonlinear systems
- Recent Advances in Ai-Enabled Automated Medical Diagnosis. CRC Press.
- Preface. IEEE.
- Preface. IEEE.
- Preface. IEEE.
- A Tensor-based Domain Alignment Method for Intelligent Fault Diagnosis of Rolling Bearing in Rotating Machinery. Reliability Engineering & System Safety, 108968-108968.
- An Integrated Observer Framework Based Mechanical Parameters Identification for Adaptive Control of Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor. Complex System Modeling and Simulation, 2(4), 354-367.
- A coarse-to-fine bi-level adversarial domain adaptation method for fault diagnosis of rolling bearings. IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement.
- Incorporating clinical parameters to improve the accuracy of angiography-derived computed fractional flow reserve. European Heart Journal - Digital Health, 3(3), 481-488.
- Second-order ESO-based current sensor fault-tolerant strategy for sensorless control of PMSM with B-phase current. IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics.
- Switched PI control based MRAS for sensorless control of PMSM drives using fuzzy-logic-controller. IEEE Open Journal of Power Electronics, 3, 368-381.
- Hybrid Deep Learning Model for Short-Term Wind Speed Forecasting Based on Time Series Decomposition and Gated Recurrent Unit. Complex System Modeling and Simulation, 1(4), 308-321.
- Brain functional and effective connectivity based on electroencephalography recordings: A review.. Human Brain Mapping. View this article in WRRO
- Utilising clinical data to personlaise boundary conditions significantly improves the accuracy of angiography based virtual FFR. European Heart Journal, 42(Supplement_1).
- A deep adversarial learning prognostics model for remaining useful life prediction of rolling bearing. IEEE Transactions on Artificial Intelligence.
- An efficient bilevel differential evolution algorithm with adaptation of lower level population size and search radius. Memetic Computing. View this article in WRRO
- A regularized LSTM method for predicting remaining useful life of rolling bearings. International Journal of Automation and Computing, 18(4), 581-593. View this article in WRRO
- FSD-BRIEF: a distorted BRIEF descriptor for fisheye image based on spherical perspective model. Sensors, 21(5). View this article in WRRO
- Optimal transport based deep domain adaptation approach for fault diagnosis of rotating machine. IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement.
- A stacked auto-encoder based partial adversarial domain adaptation model for intelligent fault diagnosis of rotating machines. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics.
- A newly designed VSC based current regulator for sensorless control of PMSM considering VSI nonlinearity. IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics.
- LdsConv : learned depthwise separable convolutions by group pruning. Sensors, 20(15).
- Nonlinear modeling of cortical responses to mechanical wrist perturbations using the NARMAX method. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. View this article in WRRO
- Consistency measure based simultaneous feature selection and instance purification for multimedia traffic classification. Computer Networks, 173. View this article in WRRO
- Generalized multiscale RBF networks and the DCT for breast cancer detection. International Journal of Automation and Computing, 17(1), 55-70. View this article in WRRO
- A multiple beta wavelet-based locally regularized ultraorthogonal forward regression algorithm for time-varying system identification with applications to EEG. IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement. View this article in WRRO
- Highly Stable Three-Dimensional Nickel–Cobalt Hydroxide Hierarchical Heterostructures Hybridized with Carbon Nanotubes for High-Performance Energy Storage Devices. ACS Nano, 13(10), 11235-11248.
- Fault diagnosis for electromechanical drivetrains using a joint distribution optimal deep domain adaptation approach. IEEE Sensors Journal. View this article in WRRO
- Deep adversarial domain adaptation model for bearing fault diagnosis. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems, 1-10. View this article in WRRO
- Complex systems modelling for statistical forecasting of winter North Atlantic atmospheric variability: a new approach. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society. View this article in WRRO
- A Parametric Time Frequency-Conditional Granger Causality Method Using Ultra-regularized Orthogonal Least Squares and Multiwavelets for Dynamic Connectivity Analysis in EEGs. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. View this article in WRRO
- Non-linear system identification of solvent-based post-combustion CO2 capture process. Fuel, 239, 1213-1223. View this article in WRRO
- System Identification and Data‐Driven Forecasting of AE Index and Prediction Uncertainty Analysis Using a New Cloud‐NARX Model. Journal of Geophysical Research: Space Physics, 124(1), 248-263. View this article in WRRO
- Distractor-aware Deep Regression for Visual Tracking. Sensors, 19(2). View this article in WRRO
- A Pilot Study Investigating a Novel Non-Linear Measure of Eyes Open versus Eyes Closed EEG Synchronization in People with Alzheimer’s Disease and Healthy Controls. Brain Sciences, 8(7), 134-134. View this article in WRRO
- Nonlinear predictive model selection and model averaging using information criteria. Systems Science and Control Engineering, 6(1), 319-328. View this article in WRRO
- A robust model structure selection method for small sample size and multiple datasets problems. Information Sciences, 451-452, 195-209. View this article in WRRO
- The variability of the Atlantic meridional circulation since 1980, as hindcast by a data-driven nonlinear systems model. Acta Geophysica, 1-13. View this article in WRRO
- Significant indicators and determinants of happiness: Evidence from a UK survey and revealed by a data-driven systems modelling approach. Social Sciences, 7(4). View this article in WRRO
- Time-Varying Nonlinear Causality Detection Using Regularized Orthogonal Least Squares and Multi-Wavelets With Applications to EEG. IEEE Access, 6, 17826-17840. View this article in WRRO
- The cortical focus in childhood absence epilepsy; evidence from nonlinear analysis of scalp EEG recordings. Clinical Neurophysiology, 129(3), 602-617. View this article in WRRO
- Global Identification of Electrical and Mechanical Parameters in PMSM Drive based on Dynamic Self-Learning PSO. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 33(12), 10858-10871. View this article in WRRO
- The Dominance of Food Supply in Changing Demographic Factors across Africa: A Model Using a Systems Identification Approach. Social Sciences, 6(4), 122-122. View this article in WRRO
- Handling missing data in multivariate time series using a vector autoregressive model-imputation (VAR-IM) algorithm. Neurocomputing. View this article in WRRO
- A new maximum relevance-minimum multicollinearity (MRmMC) method for feature selection and ranking. Pattern Recognition, 67, 47-61. View this article in WRRO
- Stochastic Fractal Based Multi-objective Fruit Fly Optimization. International Journal of Applied Mathematics and Computer Sciences, 27(2), 417-433. View this article in WRRO
- Time-Varying System Identification Using an Ultra-Orthogonal Forward Regression and Multiwavelet Basis Functions With Applications to EEG. IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, 29(7), 2960-2972. View this article in WRRO
- A novel logistic-NARX model as a classifier for dynamic binary classification. Neural Computing & Applications. View this article in WRRO
- GPU Implementation of DPSO-RE Algorithm for Parameters Identification of Surface PMSM Considering VSI Nonlinearity. IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, 5(3), 1334-1345. View this article in WRRO
- Parameter Identification of Permanent Magnet Synchronous Machine Based on an Adaptive Mutation Dynamic Differential Evolution. Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control. View this article in WRRO
- Modeling and prediction of global magnetic disturbance in near‐Earth space: A case study for Kp index using NARX models. Space Weather, 14(10), 899-916. View this article in WRRO
- Identification of continuous-time models for nonlinear dynamic systems from discrete data. International Journal of Systems Science, 47(12), 3044-3054. View this article in WRRO
- Privacy-Protected Facial Biometric Verification Using Fuzzy Forest Learning. IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems, 24(4), 779-790. View this article in WRRO
- Nonlinear interactions in the thalamocortical loop in essential tremor: A model-based frequency domain analysis. Neuroscience, 324, 377-389. View this article in WRRO
- Parameter Estimation for VSI-Fed PMSM Based on a Dynamic PSO With Learning Strategies. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 32(4), 3154-3165. View this article in WRRO
- Quantifying heterogeneous responses of fish community size structure using novel combined statistical techniques. Global Change Biology, 22(5), 1755-1768. View this article in WRRO
- Ultra-Orthogonal Forward Regression Algorithms for the Identification of Non-Linear Dynamic Systems. Neurocomputing, 173, 715-723. View this article in WRRO
- Inferring the variation of climatic and glaciological contributions to West Greenland iceberg discharge in the twentieth century. Cold Regions Science and Technology, 121, 167-178. View this article in WRRO
- Sunflower Polymers for Folate-Mediated Drug Delivery. Biomacromolecules, 17(1), 69-75.
- Identification of nonlinear time-varying systems using an online sliding-window and common model structure selection (CMSS) approach with applications to EEG. International Journal of Systems Science, 47(11), 2671-2681.
- ATRP Synthesis of Sunflower Polymers Using Cyclic Multimacroinitiators. ACS Macro Letters, 4(9), 938-941.
- 3D interpenetrating macroporous graphene aerogels with MnO2 coating for supercapacitors. Russian Journal of Electrochemistry, 51(8), 782-788.
- Nonlinear model structure detection and parameter estimation using a novel bagging method based on distance correlation metric. Nonlinear Dynamics, 82(1-2), 201-215.
- An iterative orthogonal forward regression algorithm. International Journal of Systems Science, 46(5), 776-789. View this article in WRRO
- Direct Functional Connectivity between the Thalamus (Vim) and the Contralateral Motor Cortex: Just a Single Case Observation or a Common Pathway in the Human Brain?. Brain Stimulation, 8(6), 1230-1233.
- Identification of nonlinear systems with non-persistent excitation using an iterative forward orthogonal least squares regression Algorithm. International Journal of Modelling, Identification and Control, 23(1), 1-1. View this article in WRRO
- Self-assembled hierarchical graphene/polyaniline hybrid aerogels for electrochemical capacitive energy storage. Electrochimica Acta, 137, 381-387.
- A nonlinear generalization of spectral Granger causality.. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng, 61(6), 1693-1701.
- A century of variation in the dependence of Greenland iceberg calving on ice sheet surface mass balance and regional climate change. Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, 470(2166). View this article in WRRO
- In Vitro and in Vivo Evaluation of Pectin-Based Nanoparticles for Hepatocellular Carcinoma Drug Chemotherapy. Molecular Pharmaceutics, 11(2), 638-644.
- A nonlinear causality measure in the frequency domain: nonlinear partial directed coherence with applications to EEG.. J Neurosci Methods, 225, 71-80.
- Synthesis and Evaluation of Cyclic Cationic Polymers for Nucleic Acid Delivery. ACS Macro Letters, 2(12), 1047-1050.
- Self-assembly of three-dimensional interconnected graphene-based aerogels and its application in supercapacitors. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 407, 416-424.
- A parametric method to measure time-varying linear and nonlinear causality with applications to EEG data.. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng, 60(11), 3141-3148.
- Geospace environment modeling 2008-2009 challenge: D-st index. SPACE WEATHER-THE INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF RESEARCH AND APPLICATIONS, 11(4), 187-205. View this article in WRRO
- Spectral analysis for nonstationary and nonlinear systems: a discrete-time-model-based approach.. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng, 60(8), 2233-2241.
- Model term selection for spatio-temporal system identification using mutual information. International Journal of Systems Science, 44(2), 223-231. View this article in WRRO
- Principle and critical technology of in-site measurement system with laser tracker for mega gear. Optics and Precision Engineering, 21(9), 2340-2347.
- Identification and frequency domain analysis of non-stationary and nonlinear systems using time-varying NARMAX models. International Journal of Systems Science.
- Quantitative EEG analysis using error reduction ratio-causality test; validation on simulated and real EEG data. Clinical Neurophysiology.
- Nonlinear model identification from multiple data sets using an orthogonal forward search algorithm. Journal of Computational and Nonlinear Dynamics, 8(4).
- The prediction of in-flight hypoxaemia using non-linear equations. Respiratory Medicine.
- Optimization of Brush-Like Cationic Copolymers for Nonviral Gene Delivery. Biomacromolecules, 14(1), 275-284.
- Self-assembled three-dimensional interpenetrating porous graphene aerogels with MnO2 coating and their application as high-performance supercapacitors. New Journal of Chemistry, 37(12), 4199-4199.
- Self-assembled three-dimensional graphene/OMCs hybrid aerogels for high-rate supercapacitive energy storage. RSC Advances, 3(47), 25317-25317.
- A new NARX-based Granger linear and nonlinear casual influence detection method with applications to EEG data.. J Neurosci Methods, 212(1), 79-86.
- Tracking time-varying causality and directionality of information flow using an error reduction ratio test with applications to electroencephalography data. Phys. Rev. E, 86, 051919-051919.
- Neuron-Targeted Copolymers with Sheddable Shielding Blocks Synthesized Using a Reducible, RAFT-ATRP Double-Head Agent. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 134(40), 16554-16557.
- Time-varying linear and nonlinear parametric model for Granger causality analysis.. Phys Rev E Stat Nonlin Soft Matter Phys, 85(4-1), 041906.
- Time-varying linear and nonlinear parametric model for Granger causality analysis. Physical Review E - Statistical, Nonlinear, and Soft Matter Physics, 85(4).
- A new adaptive fast cellular automaton neighborhood detection and rule identification algorithm. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part B: Cybernetics, 42(4), 1283-1287.
- Using the NARMAX OLS-ERR algorithm to obtain the most influential coupling functions that affect the evolution of the magnetosphere. J GEOPHYS RES-SPACE, 116. View this article in WRRO
- Identification of Time-Varying Systems Using Multi-Wavelet Basis Functions. IEEE T CONTR SYST T, 19(3), 656-663.
- Time-varying model identification for time-frequency feature extraction from EEG data. Journal of Neuroscience Methods, 196(1), 151-158. View this article in WRRO
- Using the NARMAX approach to model the evolution of energetic electrons fluxes at geostationary orbit. Geophysical Research Letters, 38(18).
- ICNC-FSKD 2010 Special Issue on Computers & Mathematics in Natural Computation and Knowledge Discovery. Computers and Mathematics with Applications, 62(7), 2683-2684.
- Forecasting relativistic electron flux using dynamic multiple regression models. ANN GEOPHYS-GERMANY, 29(2), 415-420.
- Data based quest for solar wind-magnetosphere coupling function. GEOPHYS RES LETT, 37.
- Time-varying parametric modelling and time-dependent spectral characterisation with applications to EEG signals using multiwavelets. International Journal of Modelling, Identification and Control, 9(3), 215-224. View this article in WRRO
- An adaptive wavelet neural network for spatio-temporal system identification. Neural Networks.
- Power-law behaviour evaluation from foreign exchange market data using a wavelet transform method. PHYS LETT A, 373(37), 3324-3329. View this article in WRRO
- Model estimation of cerebral hemodynamics between blood flow and volume changes: a data-based modeling approach.. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng, 56(6), 1606-1616. View this article in WRRO
- Gear in-line measuring machine based on double-flank gear rolling test with multi-degrees of freedom. Yi Qi Yi Biao Xue Bao/Chinese Journal of Scientific Instrument, 30(2), 303-307.
- Improved parameter estimates for non-linear dynamical models using a bootstrap method. INT J CONTROL, 82(11), 1991-2001.
- Lattice Dynamical Wavelet Neural Networks Implemented Using Particle Swarm Optimization for Spatio-Temporal System Identification. IEEE T NEURAL NETWOR, 20(1), 181-185. View this article in WRRO
- Improved model identification for non-linear systems using a random subsampling and multifold modelling (RSMM) approach. INT J CONTROL, 82(1), 27-42. View this article in WRRO
- GENERALIZED CELLULAR NEURAL NETWORKS (GCNNs) CONSTRUCTED USING PARTICLE SWARM OPTIMIZATION FOR SPATIO-TEMPORAL EVOLUTIONARY PATTERN IDENTIFICATION. INT J BIFURCAT CHAOS, 18(12), 3611-3624. View this article in WRRO
- An adaptive orthogonal search algorithm for model subset selection and non-linear system identification. INT J CONTROL, 81(5), 714-724. View this article in WRRO
- Constructing an overall dynamical model for a system with changing design parameter properties. International Journal of Modelling, Identification and Control, 5(2), 93-104. View this article in WRRO
- Model structure selection using an integrated forward orthogonal search algorithm assisted by squared correlation and mutual information. International Journal of Modelling, Identification and Control, 3(4), 341-356. View this article in WRRO
- Generalized multiscale radial basis function networks.. Neural Netw, 20(10), 1081-1094.
- An algorithm for determining the output frequency range of Volterra models with multiple inputs. IEEE T CIRCUITS-II, 54(6), 532-536. View this article in WRRO
- A comparative study on global wavelet and polynomial models for non-linear regime-switching systems. International Journal of Modelling, Identification and Control, 2(4), 273-282. View this article in WRRO
- Forecasting the geomagnetic activity of the Dst index using multiscale radial basis function networks. ADV SPACE RES, 40(12), 1863-1870.
- Sparse model identification using a forward orthogonal regression algorithm aided by mutual information. IEEE T NEURAL NETWOR, 18(1), 306-310. View this article in WRRO
- Feature subset selection and ranking for data dimensionality reduction.. IEEE Trans Pattern Anal Mach Intell, 29(1), 162-166. View this article in WRRO
- Wavelet based non-parametric NARX models for nonlinear input-output system identification. INT J SYST SCI, 37(15), 1089-1096.
- Identification of coupled map lattice models for spatio-temporal patterns using wavelets. INT J SYST SCI, 37(14), 1021-1038. View this article in WRRO
- Estimation of spatial derivatives and identification cation of continuous spatio-temporal dynamical systems. INT J CONTROL, 79(9), 1118-1135. View this article in WRRO
- Long term prediction of non-linear time series using multiresolution wavelet models. INT J CONTROL, 79(6), 569-580.
- View this article in WRRO An efficient nonlinear cardinal B-spline model for high tide forecasts at the Venice Lagoon. NONLINEAR PROC GEOPH, 13(5), 577-584.
- A new class of wavelet networks for nonlinear system identification.. IEEE Trans Neural Netw, 16(4), 862-874. View this article in WRRO
- The wavelet-NARMAX representation: A hybrid model structure combining polynomial models with multiresolution wavelet decompositions. INT J SYST SCI, 36(3), 137-152. View this article in WRRO
- Prediction of the Dst index using multiresolution wavelet models. J GEOPHYS RES-SPACE, 109(A7).
- Identification and reconstruction of chaotic systems using multiresolution wavelet decompositions. INT J SYST SCI, 35(9), 511-526.
- A unified wavelet-based modelling framework for non-linear system identification: the WANARX model structure. INT J CONTROL, 77(4), 351-366. View this article in WRRO
- Term and variable selection for non-linear system identification. INT J CONTROL, 77(1), 86-110.
- View this article in WRRO Analysis of the geomagnetic activity of the D-st index and self-affine fractals using wavelet transforms. NONLINEAR PROC GEOPH, 11(3), 303-312.
- Identification of time-varying systems using multiresolution wavelet models. INT J SYST SCI, 33(15), 1217-1228. View this article in WRRO
- Modelling the three-axes motion simulator system. Computer Simulation, 19(3), 5-7.
- Error analysis and error modelling of a hardware-in-the-loop simulation system. Computer Simulation, 19(2), 7-9.
- Modelling and simulation credibility analysis and package design for simulation verification. Computer Simulation, 18(4), 41-44.
- Experiment design of a hard-ware-in-the-loop simulation system. Computer Simulation, 18(2), 18-20.
- Modelling, simulation and simulation verification, validation and accreditation for complex dynamic systems. Computer Simulation, 18(1), 7-10.
- Problems and principles in credibility evaluation of modelling and simulation for nonlinear complex dynamic systems. Journal of System Simulation, 12(1), 39-42.
- Online Classification of Network Traffic Based on Granular Computing. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems.
- An effective zero-shot learning approach for intelligent fault detection using 1D CNN. Applied Intelligence.
- Multimedia Traffic Classification for Imbalanced Environment. IEEE Transactions on Network Science and Engineering.
- A Fast Manhattan Frame Estimation Method based on Normal Vectors. Journal of Field Robotics.
- Reducible, dibromomaleimide-linked polymers for gene delivery. Biomaterials Science, 3(1), 112-120.
- Design and synthesis of carbonized polypyrrole-coated graphene aerogel acting as an efficient metal-free catalyst for oxygen reduction. RSC Adv., 4(33), 16979-16984.
- A Novel Time-Varying Modelling and Signal Processing Approach for Epileptic Seizure Detection and Classification. Neural Computing and Applications.
- A real time forecast of the electron fluxes measured by GOES 16.
- Modelling COVID-19 Pandemic Dynamics Using Transparent, Interpretable, Parsimonious and Simulatable (TIPS) Machine Learning Models: A Case Study from Systems Thinking and System Identification Perspectives. Recent Advances in AI‑enabled Automated Medical Diagnosis.
- How Weather Conditions Affect the Spread of Covid-19: Findings from a Study Using Contrastive Learning and NARMAX Models. Recent Advances in AI‑enabled Automated Medical Diagnosis.
- New Measurement of the Body Mass Index with Bioimpedance Using a Novel Interpretable Takagi-Sugeno Fuzzy NARX Predictive Model. Recent Advances in AI‑enabled Automated Medical Diagnosis.
- A Modified Dynamic Time Warping (MDTW) Approach and Innovative Average Non-Self Match Distance (ANSD) Method for Anomaly Detection in ECG Recordings. Recent Advances in AI‑enabled Automated Medical Diagnosis.
- Characterising Linear Spatio-Temporal Dynamical Systems in the Frequency Domain.
- Quasi-Linear Transfer Function: A New Method for Frequency Domain Analysis of Nonlinear Systems.
- A Global to Local Double Embedding Method for Multi-person Pose Estimation, Computer Vision – ACCV 2020 (pp. 88-103). Springer International Publishing
- Applications of NARMAX in space weather, Machine Learning Techniques for Space Weather (pp. 203-236).
- Applications of NARMAX in Space Weather, Machine Learning Techniques for Space Weather (pp. 203-236). Elsevier
- Contributors, Machine Learning Techniques for Space Weather (pp. xi-xii). Elsevier
Conference proceedings papers
- Zero-Shot Learning for Intelligent Fault Detection. 2022 27th International Conference on Automation and Computing (ICAC), 1 September 2022 - 3 September 2022.
- Tide Level Prediction Using NARX-based Recurrent Neural Networks. 2022 27th International Conference on Automation and Computing (ICAC), 1 September 2022 - 3 September 2022.
- Multi-Task Learning for Time Series Forecasting Using NARMAX-LSTM. 2022 27th International Conference on Automation and Computing (ICAC), 1 September 2022 - 3 September 2022.
- Machine Learning for Medical and Healthcare Data Analysis and Modelling: Case Studies and Performance Comparisons of Different Methods. 2022 27th International Conference on Automation and Computing (ICAC), 1 September 2022 - 3 September 2022.
- Efficient Mask Attention-Based NARMAX (MAB-NARMAX) Model Identification. 2022 27th International Conference on Automation and Computing (ICAC), 1 September 2022 - 3 September 2022.
- A Hybrid 1DCNN-SVM Model for Bearing Fault Recognition and Classification. 2022 27th International Conference on Automation and Computing (ICAC), 1 September 2022 - 3 September 2022.
- Classification of EEG Signals for Brain-Computer Interfaces using a Bayesian-Fuzzy Extreme Learning Machine (pp 347-362) View this article in WRRO
- Utilising clinical data to personlaise boundary conditions significantly improves the accuracy of angiography based virtual FFR. EUROPEAN HEART JOURNAL, Vol. 42 (pp 1074-1074)
- BNCA: Full-rank Factorisable Subgraphs Based Unique Structure-Constrained Matrix Factorisation (pp 625-640)
- Machine learning enhanced NARMAX model for Dst index forecasting. Proceedings of the 25th International Conference on Automation and Computing (ICAC), 5 September 2019 - 7 September 2019. View this article in WRRO
- NARMAX Model as a Sparse, Interpretable and Transparent Machine Learning Approach for Big Medical and Healthcare Data Analysis. Proceedings of the 5th IEEE Int. Con. on Data Science and Systems (pp 2743-2750). Zhangjiajie, China, 10 August 2019 - 12 August 2019. View this article in WRRO
- Sparse, interpretable and transparent predictive model identification for healthcare data analysis. Proceedings of the 2019 International Work-Conference on Artificial Neural Networks (Advances in Computational Intelligence), Vol. 15 (pp 103-114). Gran Canaria, Spain, 12 June 2019 - 14 June 2019. View this article in WRRO
- Boosting wavelet neural networks using evolutionary algorithms for short-term wind speed time series forecasting. Proceedings of the 2019 International Work-Conference on Artificial Neural Networks (Advances in Computational Intelligence) (pp 15-26). Gran Canaria, Spain, 12 June 2019 - 14 June 2019. View this article in WRRO
- Image classification using generalized multiscale RBF networks and discrete cosine transform. Publisher:. Newcastle upon Tyne, UK, 6 September 2018 - 7 September 2018. View this article in WRRO
- Multi-objective Fruit Fly Optimization Based on Cloud Model*. 2018 13th World Congress on Intelligent Control and Automation (WCICA), 4 July 2018 - 8 July 2018.
- Image Classification Using Generalized Multiscale RBF Networks and Discrete Cosine Transform. 2018 24TH IEEE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON AUTOMATION AND COMPUTING (ICAC' 18) (pp 113-+)
- Incremental modelling of transcriptional regulatory networks. 2017 IEEE Global Conference on Signal and Information Processing (GlobalSIP), 14 November 2017 - 16 November 2017.
- Improving K-means clustering performance using a new global time-series averaging method. 2017 9th International Conference on Electronics, Computers and Artificial Intelligence (ECAI), 29 June 2017 - 1 July 2017.
- Prediction of Kp index using NARMAX models with a robust model structure selection method. 2017 9th International Conference on Electronics, Computers and Artificial Intelligence (ECAI), 29 June 2017 - 1 July 2017. View this article in WRRO
- Short-term stock price forecasting based on similar historical patterns extraction. 2017 23rd International Conference on Automation and Computing (ICAC), 7 September 2017 - 8 September 2017.
- Nonlinear dynamic predictive model selection and interference using information criteria. 2017 23rd International Conference on Automation and Computing (ICAC), 7 September 2017 - 8 September 2017.
- Digital image classification and detection using a 2D-NARX model. 2017 23rd International Conference on Automation and Computing (ICAC), 7 September 2017 - 8 September 2017.
- Preprocessing Graphs for Network Inference Applications. Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Informatics in Control, Automation and Robotics (pp 406-413), 26 July 2017 - 28 July 2017. View this article in WRRO
- Handling Missing Data in Multivariate Time Series Using a Vector Autoregressive Model Based Imputation (VAR-IM) Algorithm. Part II: VAR-IM Algorithm Versus Modern Methods. 2016 IEEE Intl Conference on Computational Science and Engineering (CSE) and IEEE Intl Conference on Embedded and Ubiquitous Computing (EUC) and 15th Intl Symposium on Distributed Computing and Applications for Business Engineering (DCABES), 24 August 2016 - 26 August 2016.
- Analysis of the relationship between lifestyle and life satisfaction using transparent and nonlinear parametric models. 2016 22nd International Conference on Automation and Computing (ICAC), 7 September 2016 - 8 September 2016.
- Walking gestures recognition based on a novel symbolic representation. 2016 22nd International Conference on Automation and Computing (ICAC), 7 September 2016 - 8 September 2016.
- Off-line signature verification based on a new symbolic representation and dynamic time warping. 2016 22nd International Conference on Automation and Computing (ICAC), 7 September 2016 - 8 September 2016.
- Handling missing data in multivariate time series using a vector autoregressive model based imputation (VAR-IM) algorithm: Part I: VAR-IM algorithm versus traditional methods. 2016 24th Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation (MED), 21 June 2016 - 24 June 2016.
- O4-09-02: Quantitative Eeg Can Identify Difference Between Patients with Alzheimer's Disease and Healthy Volunteers on an Individual Level. Alzheimer's & Dementia, Vol. 12 (pp P353-P354)
- Understanding Water Injection From a Control Engineering Approach Using the ERR-OLS Algorithm. Day 3 Fri, November 20, 2015, 18 November 2015 - 20 November 2015.
- Parametric and non-parametric methods to enhance prediction performance in the presence of missing data. 2015 19th International Conference on System Theory, Control and Computing (ICSTCC), 14 October 2015 - 16 October 2015.
- Model selection to enhance prediction performance in the presence of missing data. 2015 20th International Conference on Methods and Models in Automation and Robotics (MMAR), 24 August 2015 - 27 August 2015.
- An improved image distortion correction algorithm (pp 319-324)
- Synthesis and evaluation of peptide-based polymers for biomedical applications. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, Vol. 249
- A new ridge basis function neural network for data-driven modeling and prediction. 2015 10th International Conference on Computer Science & Education (ICCSE), 22 July 2015 - 24 July 2015.
- A wavelet neural network model for spatio-temporal image processing and modeling. 2015 10th International Conference on Computer Science & Education (ICCSE), 22 July 2015 - 24 July 2015.
- Using Nonlinear Models to Enhance Prediction Performance with Incomplete Data. Proceedings of the International Conference on Pattern Recognition Applications and Methods, 10 January 2015 - 12 January 2015.
- Phage panning, peptides, and polymers: From ligand identification to in vivo applications for drug delivery. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, Vol. 246
- System identification from small data sets using an output jittering method with application to model estimation of bioethanol production. Proceedings - International Conference on Machine Learning and Cybernetics, Vol. 3 (pp 949-955)
- System identification of the fermentation system of Thermoanaerobacter sp. X514. 2012 IEEE 6th International Conference on Systems Biology, ISB 2012 (pp 158-163)
- Fractional power NARX model identification using a harmony search algorithm. CIMSA 2012 - 2012 IEEE International Conference on Computational Intelligence for Measurement Systems and Applications, Proceedings (pp 102-107)
- IEEE CICA 2011 committee symposium on computational intelligence in control and automation (IEEE CICA 2011). Computational Intelligence in Control and Automation (CICA), 11 April 2011 - 15 April 2011.
- Proceedings - 2010 6th International Conference on Natural Computation, ICNC 2010: Preface. Proceedings - 2010 6th International Conference on Natural Computation, ICNC 2010, Vol. 1
- View this article in WRRO Singularity and similarity detection for signals using the wavelet transform. Proc of 11th Annual Conference of Chinese Automation and Computing Society Conference in the UK (pp 25-30). Sheffield, England, 10 September 2005.
- Singularity and simlarity detection for systems using the wavelet transform. 11th Annual Conference of Chinese Automation and Computer Society in the UK (pp 25-30). Sheffield, UK, 10 September 2005 - 10 September 2005.
- Wavelet-based nonparametric additive models for nonlinear system identification. 8th Annual Conference of Chinese Automation and Computer Society in the UK (pp 20-25). Beijing, PR China, 21 September 2002 - 22 September 2002.
- Modelling complex systems by an abstraction and formalization approach. 3rd World Congress on Intelligent Control and Automation, Vol. 1-5 (pp 2119-2123). Hefei, PR China, 28 June 2000 - 2 July 2000.
- A New DIstance Correlation Metric and Bagging Method for NARX Model Estimation. USES Conference Proceedings
EU Horizon 2020, Co-PI, `Prediction of Grespace Radiation Environment and Solar Wind Parameters (PROGRESS), 2 January 2015 to 1 January 2018, €2,5M (Sheffield €700,000).
EPSRC Platform Grant, S A Billings, V Kadirkamanathan, Z Q Lang, D Coca, M Balikhin, H L Wei, `System Identification and Information Processing for Complex Systems´, 4 January 2010 - 3 January 2015, £1,21M
Royal Society Collaboration Grant, V. Kadirkamanathan and H. L. Wei, `Investigation of the control mechanism on co-culture bioethanol producing system´, 2010 -2012, £11,950
EPSRC, H L Wei, `System Identification and Data Modelling of Complex Nonlinear and Nonstationary Processes´, 4 January 2011 to 31 March 2012, £101,004
The Ryder Briggs Charity, P.G. Sarrigiannis, Y. Zhao, H .L. Wei, F. He, S. A. Billings, `The thalamic clock and the cortical focus theory in childhood absence epilepsy—an insight with a new approach of quantitative EEG analysis in the time domain: the error reduction ratio method´, 1 April 2013 to 3 March 2014, £8,378
- Teaching activities
- Data Modelling and Analysis (UG)
- Optimisation and Search (MEng)
- Optimisation and Search (MSc)
- Nonlinear Systems (MEng)
- Advanced Controller Design (MEng)
- State-Space, Optimal Control and Nonlinear Systems (MSc)
- Professional activities and memberships
- Chair, Programme Committee - ICNC’10 (the 6th International Conference on Natural Computation 2010), Yantai, China, August 10-12, 2010.
- Programme Committee member for a number of international conferences.
- Reviewer for many international journals.
- Reviewer for many international conferences.