Dr Payam Soulatiantork
Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering
University Teacher in Industrial Automation
+44 114 222 5654
Full contact details
Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering
Amy Johnson Building
Dr Soulatiantork is an Academic in the department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering. Payam is an industrial automation and instrumentation expert with more than 6 years of industrial experience from 2007 to 2013. He has successfully developed and completed several industrial automation projects.
He worked Queen’s University Belfast as a research fellow, developing a real-time control system and numerical model for the Waste Heat Recovery (WHR) system using Siemens PLC and TIA Portal software in order to monitor the overall performance of the system on PC and HMI via WinCC.
Payam began his PhD at Polytechnic of Milan, Italy as a fully funded researcher from 2013 to 2016, developing a control hardware system to characterise and evaluate the maximum power point tracking algorithms using advanced data acquisition cards and Simulink/Matlab real-time environment.
Payam obtained an MSc in control and instrumentation at Shiraz University, Iran, which led to developing a new fuzzy control strategy to calculate the advanced PID controller parameters for renewable energy applications.
Payam has been invited by the School of Aerospace, Transport, and Manufactures at Cranfield University as a visiting researcher on 2015 and 2016. He worked closely with the Integrated Vehicle Health Management, Boeing Centre at Cranfield University for developing a real-time conditional base monitoring test rig for power conversion systems.
- Research interests
• Industrial Automation
• Renewable energy real-time control and monitoring
• Programming and developing PLCs
• Supervisory, control and data acquisition (SCADA)
• Industry 4.0 and Cyber Physical Lab
- Ethical and practical challenges of conducting art-based research with children/young people in the public space of a children’s outpatient department. Journal of Child Health Care, 24(1), 33-45.
- Control of Supercritical Organic Rankine Cycle based Waste Heat Recovery System Using Conventional and Fuzzy Self-tuned PID Controllers. International Journal of Control, Automation and Systems.
- A tool for performance evaluation of MPPT algorithms for photovoltaic systems. Measurement, 128, 537-544.
- Performance comparison of a two PV module experimental setup using a modified MPPT algorithm under real outdoor conditions. Solar Energy, 169, 401-410.
- IGBT Thermal Stress Reduction Using Advance Control Strategy. Procedia CIRP, 59, 274-279. View this article in WRRO
- Fault Tolerance Enhance DC-DC Converter Lifetime Extension. Procedia CIRP, 59, 268-273. View this article in WRRO
- Simulation Study of Flow Control Based On PID ANFIS Controller for Non-Linear Process Plants. American Journal of Intelligent Systems, 2(5), 104-110.
- Fuzzy Nonlinear Dynamic Evaporator Model in Supercritical Organic Rankine Cycle Waste Heat Recovery Systems. Energies, 11(4), 901-901. View this article in WRRO
- A root cause analysis and a risk evaluation of PV balance of system failures. ACTA IMEKO, 6(4), 113-113.
Conference proceedings papers
- Discrete Event Simulation for a Cyber-Physical System. Advances in Manufacturing Technology XXXIII: Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Manufacturing Research
- Simulation of waste heat recovery system with fuzzy based evaporator model. 2017 11th Asian Control Conference (ASCC), 17 December 2017 - 20 December 2017. View this article in WRRO
- Improvement in the efficiency of DC/DC power converters by controlling the switching frequency. 14th IMEKO TC10 Workshop on Technical Diagnostics 2016: New Perspectives in Measurements, Tools and Techniques for Systems Reliability, Maintainability and Safety (pp 394-399)
- Reliability assessment of PV inverters. 14th IMEKO TC10 Workshop on Technical Diagnostics 2016: New Perspectives in Measurements, Tools and Techniques for Systems Reliability, Maintainability and Safety (pp 389-393)
- Reliability assessment of photovoltaic balance of system. 14th IMEKO TC10 Workshop on Technical Diagnostics 2016: New Perspectives in Measurements, Tools and Techniques for Systems Reliability, Maintainability and Safety (pp 242-247)
- Iterative model-based Maximum Power Point Tracker for photovoltaic panels. 2015 IEEE International Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference (I2MTC) Proceedings, 11 May 2015 - 14 May 2015.
- Design of a converter for photovoltaic panels testing. 2015 International Conference on Clean Electrical Power (ICCEP), 16 June 2015 - 18 June 2015.
- Reliability enhance powertrain using fuzzy knowledge base prognostics model. 2015 17th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications (EPE'15 ECCE-Europe), 8 September 2015 - 10 September 2015.
- Relibility enhance powertrain using ANFIS base prognostics model. 2015 IEEE Conference on Prognostics and Health Management (PHM), 22 June 2015 - 25 June 2015.
- Markov process reliability model for photovoltaic module encapsulation failures. 2015 International Conference on Renewable Energy Research and Applications (ICRERA), 22 November 2015 - 25 November 2015.
- Teaching activities
- GEE101 Interdisciplinary Design I
- ACS336/6336 Rapid Control Prototyping
- ACS330 Group Project
Payam has previously taught (2017-2018):
- Dynamic and Control systems (Queen’s University Belfast)
- Professional activities
- IEEE member since 2013
- Recognized reviewer of Solar Energy Elsevier Journal
- Reviewer of IEEE Transactions on Reliability Journal