Dr Jordan MacInnes
Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering
Undergraduate Level 3 Director
+44 114 222 7511
Full contact details
Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering
Sir Robert Hadfield Building
I received BS and MS degrees in Mechanical Engineering from the University of California Davis, and a PhD degree from University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology. Following two years as a lecturer at Michigan Technological University I joined the research staff at Princeton University, working on stochastic spray modelling.
In 1993 I joined the Chemical Engineering Department at the University of Sheffield where my interests have developed in the context of this discipline and the rapid evolution it is experiencing. My recent work has aimed to address fundamental technical issues within the emerging area of microfluidics, including those of mixing and flow control. Other areas of interest include development of rotating spiral phase contacting and other multiphase flow processing steps.
- Research interests
My research makes considerable use of theoretical and computational tools, both to aid experimental design and to guide development of practical devices. This close coordination between quantitative predictive tools and practical application is a prerequisite for fuller understanding and more efficient designs to be achieved rapidly.
- Microfluidic devices for analysis, synthesis and measurement
- Efficient separation processes
- Transport of momentum, species and heat
- Rotating spiral phase contacting
- Rapid property measurement and analysis
- Mass transfer characteristics of rotating spiral gas-liquid contacting. Chemical Engineering Science, 175, 320-334. View this article in WRRO
- CO2 absorption using diethanolamine-water solutions in a rotating spiral contactor. Chemical Engineering Journal, 307, 1084-1091. View this article in WRRO
- Hydrodynamic characteristics of a rotating spiral fluid-phase contactor. Chemical Engineering Science, 126, 427-439. View this article in WRRO
- Analysis of two-phase contacting in a rotating spiral channel. Chemical Engineering Science, 69(1), 304-315.
- Analysis of two-phase contacting in a rotating spiral channel. Chemical Engineering Science.
- Determination of the Physical Properties of Room Temperature Ionic Liquids Using a Love Wave Device. Analytical Chemistry, 83(17), 6717-6721.
- Thermal conductivity measurement of liquids in a microfluidic device. Microfluidics and Nanofluidics, 10(1), 123-132.
- Experimental demonstration of rotating spiral microchannel distillation. Chemical Engineering Journal, 159(1-3), 159-169.
- Small volume laboratory on a chip measurements incorporating the quartz crystal microbalance to measure the viscosity-density product of room temperature ionic liquids. Biomicrofluidics, 4(1), 014107-014107.
- Thermal conductivity measurement of liquids in a microfluidic device. Microfluidics and Nanofluidics, 1-10.
- Analysis of a pressure-driven folding flow microreactor with nearly plug-flow characteristics. AIChE Journal, NA-NA.
- Performance analysis of a folding flow micromixer. Microfluidics and Nanofluidics, 6(6), 763-774.
- Evaluation of a microfluidic device for the electrochemical determination of halide content in ionic liquids.. Anal Chem, 81(4), 1628-1637.
- Density-viscosity product of small-volume ionic liquid samples using quartz crystal impedance analysis.. Anal Chem, 80(15), 5806-5811.
- Development of a micro-channel contactor-separator for immiscible liquids. CHEM ENG RES DES, 86(A1), 65-74.
- Numerical characterisation of folding flow microchannel mixers. CHEM ENG SCI, 62(10), 2718-2727.
- Three-component micro-PIV using the continuity equation and a comparison of the performance with that of stereoscopic measurements. EXP FLUIDS, 42(2), 197-205.
- Three-dimensional, three-component velocity measurements using stereoscopic micro-PIV and PTV. MEAS SCI TECHNOL, 17(8), 2175-2185.
- Investigation of alternating-flow mixing in microchannels. Chemical Engineering Science, 60(13), 3453-3467.
- Micro-PIV simulation and measurement in complex microchannel geometries. Measurement Science and Technology, 16(3), 619-626.
- Dynamics of Electroosmotic Switching of Reacting Microfluidic Flows. Chemical Engineering Research and Design, 81(7), 773-786.
- Prediction of electrokinetic and pressure flow in a microchannel T-junction. Physics of Fluids, 15(7), 1992-2005.
- Computation of reacting electrokinetic flow in microchannel geometries. Chemical Engineering Science, 57(21), 4539-4558.
- Theoretical account of a dry sorption injection experiment. AIChE Journal, 47(12), 2684-2695.
- Approximate Similarity of Confined Turbulent Coaxial Jets. Journal of Fluids Engineering, 123(3), 707-709.
- Adsorption by particles injected into a gas stream. Chemical Engineering Journal, 83(3), 165-174.
- Nitrogen Removal from Wastewater by a Catalytic Oxidation Method. Water Research, 35(9), 2113-2120.
- Measurements of VOC take-up by adsorbing particles in a gas stream. Filtration & Separation, 37(10), 32-39.
- Measurements of VOC take-up by adsorbing particles in a gas stream. FILTR SEPARAT, 37(10), 33-+.
- The removal of ammonia from water by a hydrophobic catalyst. ENVIRON SCI TECHNOL, 34(22), 4804-4809.
- Measurements of VOC take-up by adsorbing particles in a gas stream. Filtration and Separation, 37(10), 33-39.
- Isothermal modelling of a combustion system with swirl: a computational study. COMBUST SCI TECHNOL, 155, 51-74.
- RADIAL-DISTRIBUTION OF DROP SIZE IN STEADY FULL-CONE SPRAYS. ATOMIZATION SPRAY, 4(6), 677-694.
- STOCHASTIC PARTICLE DISPERSION MODELING AND THE TRACER-PARTICLE LIMIT. PHYS FLUIDS A-FLUID, 4(12), 2809-2824.
- TIME-ACCURATE SIMULATIONS OF A SHEAR-LAYER FORCED AT A SINGLE FREQUENCY. AIAA J, 28(2), 267-275.
- Computation of the spray from an air-assisted fuel injector. SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Transactions, 99(Sect 3), 2105-2123.
- Turbulence modelling of flows with non-uniform density..
- NUMERICAL-SIMULATION OF THE THERMAL TURBULENT MIXING LAYER. PHYS FLUIDS, 28(4), 1013-1014.
- Microfluidics: History, Theory and Applications In Zimmerman WBJ (Ed.), Microfluidics (pp. 49-103). Springer Verlag
- MacInnes, J. M. and F. V. Bracco, 1991, “Comparisons of Deterministic and Stochastic Computations of Drop Collisions in Dense Sprays”, Chapter 20 in , editors E. S. Oran and J. P. Boris, Progress in Astronautics and Aeronautics, Vol. 135, 615-642. In Oran ES & Boris JP (Ed.), Numerical Approaches to Combustion Modeling (pp. 615-642).
Conference proceedings papers
- Mass Transfer Prediction of Gas-Liquid Contacting in a Rotating Spiral Channel. Proceedings of the International Conference of Fluid Flow, Heat and Mass Transfer, 21 August 2017 - 23 August 2017. View this article in WRRO
- Separate Density and Viscosity Determination of Room Temperature Ionic Liquids using Dual Quartz Crystal Microbalances. 2009 IEEE SENSORS, VOLS 1-3 (pp 287-290)
- Density and Viscosity Measurements of Room Temperature Ionic Liquids Using Patterned Quartz Crystal Microbalances. 2009 JOINT MEETING OF THE EUROPEAN FREQUENCY AND TIME FORUM AND THE IEEE INTERNATIONAL FREQUENCY CONTROL SYMPOSIUM, VOLS 1 AND 2 (pp 1043-1045)
- DESIGN AND PERFORMANCE OF A FOLDING FLOW NETWORK MICROMIXER. IMECE 2008: PROCEEDINGS OF THE ASME INTERNATIONAL MECHANICAL ENGINEERING CONGRESS AND EXPOSITION, VOL 3 (pp 591-595)
- Small Volume Determination of the Viscosity-Density Product for Ionic Liquids using Quartz Crystal Harmonics. 2008 IEEE INTERNATIONAL FREQUENCY CONTROL SYMPOSIUM, VOLS 1 AND 2 (pp 440-442)
- A microchannel device for studying chemical kinetics in ionic liquid solutions. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, Vol. 231
- Complete Micro-PIV Characterisation of Microfluidic Devices. ASME 3rd International Conference on Microchannels and Minichannels, Part B cont’d, 13 June 2005 - 15 June 2005.
- THE DISTRIBUTION OF FUEL VAPOUR IN A FULL-CONE SPRAY. 1995 ICHEME RESEARCH EVENT - FIRST EUROPEAN CONFERENCE FOR YOUNG RESEARCHERS IN CHEMICAL ENGINEERING, VOLS 1 AND 2 (pp 832-834)
- Modeling the outwash flow arising from two colliding turbulent jets. 1st National Fluid Dynamics Conference