I obtained my degree in Chemistry at Sheffield University, after which I completed a MSc in Analytical Science at the University of Hull. This was followed by a PhD entitled "Reflectivity studies of non-critical interfaces in binary liquid mixtures" from the University of Sheffield in 1999. I then spent two years working as post-doctoral research assistant at the TU-Berlin whilst also working as a beamline scientist on a neutron reflectometer at the Hahn-Meitner-Institute in the Berlin Neutron Scattering Center.
I then returned to Sheffield to as a post-doctoral research assistant working with Prof. Tony Ryan (Chemistry) and Prof. Richard Jones (Physics). I joined the Department of Chemical & Biological Engineering as a Lecturer in July 2007.
- Ebbens SJ & Howse JR (2010) In pursuit of propulsion at the nanoscale. SOFT MATTER, 6(4), 726-738.
- Swann JMG, Bras W, Howse JR, Topham PD & Ryan AJ (2010) Quantifying hydrogel response using laser light scattering. SOFT MATTER, 6(4), 743-749.
- Mokarian-Tabari P, Geoghegan M, Howse JR, Heriot SY, Thompson RL & Jones RAL (2010) Quantitative evaluation of evaporation rate during spin-coating of polymer blend films: Control of film structure through defined-atmosphere solvent-casting. European Physical Journal E, 33(4), 283-289.
- Thompson KL, Armes SP, Howse JR, Ebbens S, Ahmad I, Zaidi JH, York DW & Burdis JA (2010) Covalently cross-linked colloidosomes. Macromolecules, 43(24), 10466-10474.
- Ebbens S, Jones RAL, Ryan AJ, Golestanian R & Howse JR (2010) Self-assembled autonomous runners and tumblers. PHYS REV E, 82(1).
- Howse JR, Jones RA, Battaglia G, Ducker RE, Leggett GJ & Ryan AJ (2009) Templated formation of giant polymer vesicles with controlled size distributions.. Nat Mater, 8(6), 507-511.
- Howse JR, Jones RAL, Ryan AJ & Golestanian R (2009) Self-motile colloidal particles: From random walks to directed propulsion and chemotaxis. ABSTR PAP AM CHEM S, 237.
- Parnell AJ, Martin SJ, Dang CC, Geoghegan M, Jones RAL, Crook CJ, Howse JR & Ryan AJ (2009) Synthesis, characterization and swelling behaviour of poly(methacrylic acid) brushes synthesized using atom transfer radical polymerization. POLYMER, 50(4), 1005-1014.
- Hughes AV, Howse JR, Dabkowska A, Jones RAL, Lawrence MJ & Roser SJ (2008) Floating lipid bilayers deposited on chemically grafted phosphatidylcholine surfaces. LANGMUIR, 24(5), 1989-1999.
- Dupin D, Howse JR, Armes SP & Randall DP (2008) Preparation of stable foams using sterically stabilized pH-responsive latexes synthesized by emulsion polymerization. J MATER CHEM, 18(5), 545-552.