Dr Andy Nichols
General Engineering Lecturer
Senior Lecturer in Water Engineering
Department of Civil and Structural Engineering
Sir Frederick Mappin Building
Mappin Street, Sheffield, S1 3JD
Tel: +44(0) 114 222 0256
Fax: +44 (0) 114 222 5700
Room: Mappin E108
By exploring new technologies and more cost-effective methods of hydro-environmental sensing my research aims to improve monitoring methods for the water industry, reduce costs and improve water system management.
dr andy nichols
Andy joined the department in 2015 after working as research associate on a number of industry and EPSRC funded projects. He was recruited as a Lecturer for the new cross-faculty General Engineering interdisciplinary degree program.
Andy’s research focuses on the development of new sensing technology, primarily for the water industry, to improve and provide new opportunities for the measurement and management of processes in water courses, from rural rivers to urban sewers. His research uses a range of sensing principles including optical, electrical, acoustic and infrared. His expertise in designing new instrumentation and experimental facilities enables the sensing and understanding of hydro-environmental processes in the natural and built environments. Andy also supports companies in testing and validating their own sensing technologies.
One of Andy’s areas of interest is the science of flowing water surfaces, and the technology to measure them. This allows the use of their unique signatures to identify the hydraulic processes occurring within the flow. He aims to develop links with other important hydro-environmental processes such as greenhouse gas evasion, pollutant mixing, and sediment transport and has worked on a number of sensing technologies for this purpose, resulting in two international patent applications and a number of national awards. His work ranges from laboratory studies in collaboration with academic colleagues to field studies with industrial partners and local authorities.
Activities and Distinctions
- Director of the Sensors for Water Interest Group (SWIG)
- 21 st Harold Jan Schoemaker Award for best paper in the Journal of Hydraulic Research
- Outstanding Teaching Award in the Sheffield Students Union Academic Awards 2018
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Meetings Secretary for the Tyne & Humber branch of the Chartered Institute of Water and Environmental Management
- Sheffield Early Career Researcher Scheme 2015
- CIWEM new generations competition 2012 winner
- IAHR UK young person’s paper competition 2012 winner
- SWIG early career researcher competition 2012 winner
- SET for Britain 2012 finalist
- Rubinato M, Nichols A, Peng Y, Zhang J-M, Lashford C, Cai Y-P, Lin P-Z & Tait S (2019) Urban and river flooding: Comparison of flood risk management approaches in the UK and China and an assessment of future knowledge needs. Water Science and Engineering.
- Gabreil EO, Tait S, Nichols A & Dolcetti G (2019) 3D SPH Simulation of Dynamic Water Surface and Its Interaction with Underlying Flow Structure for Turbulent Open Channel Flows Over Rough Beds. International Journal of Ocean and Coastal Engineering, 1(2). View this article in WRRO
- Rojas Arques S, Rubinato M, Nichols A & Shucksmith J (2018) Cost effective measuring technique to simultaneously quantify 2D velocity fields and depth-averaged solute concentrations in shallow water flows. Flow Measurement and Instrumentation. View this article in WRRO
- Gabreil E, Tait S, Shao S & Nichols A (2018) SPHysics simulation of laboratory shallow free surface turbulent flows over a rough bed. Journal of Hydraulic Research/De Recherches Hydrauliques. View this article in WRRO
- Kazemi E, Nichols A, Tait S & Shao S (2017) SPH modelling of depth-limited turbulent open channel flows over rough boundaries. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, 83(1), 3-27. View this article in WRRO
- Horoshenkov K, Van Renterghem T, Nichols A & Krynkin A (2016) Finite difference time domain modelling of sound scattering by the dynamically rough surface of a turbulent open channel flow. Journal of Applied Acoustics, 110, 13-22. View this article in WRRO
- Nichols A, Tait S, Horoshenkov K & Shepherd S (2016) A model of the free surface dynamics of shallow turbulent flows. Journal of Hydraulic Research, 54(5), 516-526. View this article in WRRO
- Krynkin A, Horoshenkov KV, Nichols A & Tait SJ (2014) A non-invasive acoustical method to measure the mean roughness height of the free surface of a turbulent shallow water flow. Review of Scientific Instruments, 85(11). View this article in WRRO
- Nichols A, Tait S, Horoshenkov K & Shepherd S (2013) A non-invasive airborne wave monitor. Flow Measurement and Instrumentation, 34, 118-126. View this article in WRRO
- Horoshenkov KV, Nichols A, Tait SJ & Maximov GA (2013) The pattern of surface waves in a shallow free surface flow. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-EARTH SURFACE, 118(3), 1864-1876. View this article in WRRO
- Nichols A, Tait SJ, Horoshenkov KV, Shepherd SJ & Zhang Y (2013) Low cost on-line non-invasive sewer flow monitoring. Water Practice and Technology, 8(3-4), 461-468. View this article in WRRO
- Nichols A, Attenborough K & Taherzadeh S (2011) Deduction of static surface roughness from complex excess attenuation. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 129(3), EL89-EL93.
- Nichols A, Attenborough K, Taherzadeh S & Shepherd SJ (2010) An airborne broadband acoustic method to measure the characteristics of a dynamically rough, air‐water interface.. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 128(4), 2327-2327.
- Nichols A, Horoshenkov KV, Tait SJ & Maximov G (2010) An airborne monochromatic acoustic method to measure the hydraulic characteristics of shallow water flows.. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 128(4), 2327-2327.
- Kazemi E, Tait S, Shao S & Nichols A (2016) Potential Application of Mesh-Free SPH Method in Turbulent River Flows In Rowiński P & Marion A (Ed.), Hydrodynamic and Mass Transport at Freshwater Aquatic Interfaces View this article in WRRO
- Nichols A, Horoshenkov K, Tait S & Shepherd S (2014) Making Use of Turbulence and its Interaction with Sound: A Non-Invasive Flow Monitor, Fluid-Structure-Sound Interactions and Control (pp. 283-288). Springer Berlin Heidelberg
Conference proceedings papers
- Nichols A & Garrard A (2018) A Teaching Sandwich Approach to Integrating Classroom and Practical Teaching. 5 TH Annual Symposium of the United Kingdom & Ireland Engineering Education Research Network: “Time for Change” Symposium Proceedings (pp 87-90). London, UK, 23 November 2017 - 24 November 2017. View this article in WRRO
- Nichols A, Brown S & Wood G (2018) Student-led online revision tools as an innovative assignment. 5 TH Annual Symposium of the United Kingdom & Ireland Engineering Education Research Network: “Time for Change” Symposium Proceedings (pp 117-117). London, UK, 23 November 2017 - 24 November 2017. View this article in WRRO
- Nichols A, Rojas Arques S, Rubinato M & Shucksmith J (2018) Velocity distribution and mixing layer in partially vegetated channel. Proceedings of the 5th IAHR Europe Congress — New Challenges in Hydraulic Research and Engineering (pp 785-786). Trento, Italy, 12 June 2018 - 14 June 2018. View this article in WRRO
- Legge A, Jensen H, Tait S, Ashley R & Nichols A (2018) Food waste particles: An under-explored class of sediment transport. Proceedings of the 5th IAHR Europe Congress - New challenges in hydraulic research and engineering (pp 727-728). Trento, Italy, 12 June 2018 - 14 June 2018. View this article in WRRO
- Cho Y-H, Rubinato M & Nichols A (2017) The Kinect sensor as a tool for remote flow characterisation. Proceeding of the 37th IAHR World Congress, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 13-18 August, 2017 (pp 5600-5607), 13 August 2017 - 18 August 2017. View this article in WRRO
- Nichols A & Rubinato M (2016) Low-cost 3D mapping of turbulent flow surfaces. Sustainable Hydraulics in the Era of Global Change - Proceedings of the 4th European Congress of the International Association of Hydroenvironment engineering and Research, IAHR 2016 (pp 186-192)
- Miozzo C, Marion A, Nichols A & Tait SJ (2016) Turbulent momentum exchange over a natural gravel bed. Sustainable Hydraulics in the Era of Global Change - Proceedings of the 4th European Congress of the International Association of Hydroenvironment engineering and Research, IAHR 2016 (pp 210-217)
- Nichols A, Tait S & Horoshenkov K (2015) TURBULENT FLOW SURFACE DYNAMICS. PROCEEDINGS OF THE 36TH IAHR WORLD CONGRESS (pp 3032-3041)
- (2014) Fluid-Structure-Sound Interactions and Control
- Nichols A, Horoshenkov KV & Tait SJ (2014) Shallow gravel-bed river flows: The behaviour of the free surface and the flow information contained within. River Flow 2014 (pp 301-309)
- Nichols A, Horoshenkov KV & Tait SJ (2014) Shallow gravel-bed river flows: The behaviour of the free surface and the flow information contained within. Proceedings of the International Conference on Fluvial Hydraulics, RIVER FLOW 2014 (pp 301-309)
- Xie Z, Lin B, Falconer R & Nichols A (2012) A cartesian grid method flow shallow water flows over a gravel bed. Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Hydroscience & Engineering, 4 November 2012 - 7 November 2012.
- Nichols A & Shepherd SJ (2012) Visualizing the variation in normality of a turbulent velocity field. River Flow 2012 - Proceedings of the International Conference on Fluvial Hydraulics, Vol. 1 (pp 85-89)
- Nichols A, Tait SJ & Horoshenkov KV (2012) Characterization of shallow flows using novel acoustic instrumentation. River Flow 2012 - Proceedings of the International Conference on Fluvial Hydraulics, Vol. 2 (pp 1285-1292)
- Nichols A, Tait S, Horoshenkov K, Shepherd S & Maximov G (2011) An airborne acoustic method to monitor the hydraulic characteristics of shallow water flows. 34th IAHR Congress 2011 - Balance and Uncertainty: Water in a Changing World, Incorporating the 33rd Hydrology and Water Resources Symposium and the 10th Conference on Hydraulics in Water Engineering (pp 817-824)
- Horoshenkov KV, Nichols A, Tait SJ & Maximov G (2011) Ultrasonic characterisation of rough water surface in turbulent open channel flows. Proceedings of Forum Acusticum (pp 2451-2453)
- Nichols A, Horoshenkov K, Shepherd S, Attenborough K & Tait S (2010) Sonic Characterisation of Water Surface Waves. ADVANCES IN HYDRAULIC PHYSICAL MODELING AND FIELD INVESTMENT AND INVESTIGATION (pp 40-47)
- Nichols A, Cho Y-H & Rubinato M () Sensing of free-surface patterns in opaque flows using Kinect. Proceedings of HydroSenSoft 2017 View this article in WRRO
- Nichols A, Legge A, Tait S, Jensen H & Ashley R () Characterisation of particles from food waste disposers and their expected behaviour in sewers. Proceedings of the 14th IWA/IAHR International Conference on Urban Drainage View this article in WRRO