MSc, BSc (Hons)
Department of Computer Science
Senior University Teacher
Industrial Liaison Officer
Knowledge Exchange and Entrepreneurship Co-Lead
+44 114 222 1894
Full contact details
Department of Computer Science
Regent Court (DCS)
I am a Senior University Teacher in the Department of Computer Science working for the Institute of Coding. I lead the Student Enterprises work package at UoS, building on the Genesys Software Company experience for the benefit of other Universities, Industry and Students.
If you are a potential Student Entrepreneur, then please get in touch.
I have 12+ years experience as a University Lecturer/researcher in Software Engineering and Computer Science.
I also have 12+ years industry experience in mainly Java based Object Oriented Software Engineering including analysis, design, development, testing, research & development and mentoring.
I believe strongly in the relevance of industry practice for software development education.
I have worked as an academic University Teacher/Lecturer at the University of Sheffield, Sheffield Hallam University and the Open University. I have also been a Research Associate at Warwick University and Parallel Computing Support Officer at Cardiff University.
- Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (Fellow HEA), Sheffield Hallam University (2013-14)
- Diploma in Literature and Creative Writing, Open University (2009-11).
- MSc in Computer Science: New Generation Computing, Exeter University (1988-1989)
- Polytechnic Graduate Diploma in Computer Studies (BSc Hons. equivalent), Leicester Polytechnic (1987-1988)
- HND Computer Studies (6 credits), Portsmouth Polytechnic (1985-1987)
- Research interests
My research is focused around the Quando toolset, which offers Visual End User Development for non programmers. This was initially co-designed with museum staff for creating digital interactive exhibits without needing programming skills.
- Supporting Museums and Robot Theatre Using Quando - an Event First, Visual Block Toolset, End-User Development (pp. 225-230). Springer International Publishing
- VICI: Experiences in Introducing Student run Software Companies into the Curriculum, Projects in the Computing Curriculum (pp. 103-116). Springer London
- Improving the quality of Software Engineering courses through University Based Industrial Projects, Projects in the Computing Curriculum (pp. 47-69). Springer London
Conference proceedings papers
- View this article in WRRO Collaboration Checklist for Creative Robots. 12th International Conference on Social Robotics, Workshop on Creativity And Robotics, 14 November 2020 - 15 November 2020.
- Quando : enabling museum and art gallery practitioners to develop interactive digital exhibits. End-User Development (pp 100-107). Eindhoven, The Netherlands, 13 June 2017 - 15 June 2017.
- Professional activities
- Co-editor for 'Projects in the Computing Curriculum' - Proceedings of the Project 98 Workshop, Sheffield 1998
- Chair for Human Computer Interaction 1998
- Co-organiser Human Computer Interaction 1997
- Industry experience and skills
I have worked for 12+ years in industry, with roles including:
- IT Director - for a startup that didn't
- Project Manager
- Technical Architect
- Performance Architect
- Java Technical Architect
- Java Performance Team Leader
- Team Leader/Designer
- Senior Java Developer
- Real time software developer
Since I spent 10+ years as a contractor, I have worked for many companies, including:
- IBM and IBM at ASDA, Leeds
- IBM at Barclaycard, Northampton
- BG Technology - Gas Research & Development Centre, Loughborough
- BT Data and Information Services, Leeds
- CSE Servelec, Sheffield
- RACAL COMSEC Ltd., Salisbury
- HPI, Salisbury/Sheffield
- Resolution IT Services, Leeds
- SoftwareAG (UK) Ltd., Derby
- OCLC Pica, Sheffield
- Breathe.net, London
- i2 Technologies, Nottingham
Some of the projects I worked on have become 'antiques' before their time:
- The Asda Home Shopping CD. They sent a new CD out their customers every time they needed to update the software.
- An automatic web page to WML/WAP mobile application (for the 'Matrix' phone). It was so slow, even I didn't use it - and it was free for me...
- A real time voice encryption/decryption system using two Z80 processors sharing 2K of RAM - one just wasn't fast enough. I think they sold a few.
- I happily claim professional skill in Java, Node JS, Html 5, CSS, Golang, Python, MongoDB, CouchDB.
- I will not admit to having any skill in PHP or SQL.