Miss Fiona Gilchrist
BDS, MFDS, MClin Dent, MPaed Dent, FDS RCPS (Paeds Dent), FHEA, PhD
School of Clinical Dentistry
Senior Lecturer in Paediatric Dentistry
Consultant in Paediatric Dentistry/Lead Paediatric Dentist Trent Regional Cleft Network
+44 114 215 9326
Full contact details
School of Clinical Dentistry
19 Claremont Crescent
I joined the University of Sheffield in 2007 as a Lecturer in Paediatric Dentistry. I completed the first part of my specialist training in Edinburgh in 2006 and then worked as a Senior Registrar at the Royal Children's Hospital in Melbourne for six months before moving to Sheffield. I completed my NHS consultant training in 2009. I was awarded an NIHR Doctoral Research Fellowship in 2012 and completed my PhD in 2015. In 2015 I was appointed Senior Lecturer and took up the role as the Lead Paediatric Dentist for the Trent Regional Cleft Network.
- Research interests
During my PhD I developed a measure of oral health-related quality of life for children with dental caries (CARIES-QC). This was developed with children and is being used in clinical trials to determine the impact of interventions for caries and has been translated into a number of languages. More information about the measure can be found here.
My current research interests are focussed around the routine use of patient-reported outcome measures for children and young people. In particular I'm interested in investigating the use of electronic methods for delivery of PROMs to paediatric patients and how the information generated by these can aid clinicians in diagnosis and treatment planning.
- A short form of the Children’s Experiences of Dental Anxiety Measure (CEDAM) : validation and evaluation of the CEDAM-8. Dentistry Journal, 9(6).
- Evaluation of a new paediatric dentistry intravenous sedation service. British Dental Journal.
- Patient‐reported Outcomes (PROs) in clinical trials in paediatric dentistry. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry.
- The impact of dental caries and its treatment under general anaesthetic on children and their families. European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry.
- Brushing RemInder 4 Good oral HealTh (BRIGHT) trial : does an SMS behaviour change programme with a classroom-based session improve the oral health of young people living in deprived areas? A study protocol of a randomised controlled trial. Trials, 20(1). View this article in WRRO
- The relationship between caries-specific quality of life and generic wellbeing in a Dutch pediatric population. Dentistry Journal, 7(3). View this article in WRRO
- The Malocclusion Impact Questionnaire (MIQ): Cross-Sectional Validation in a Group of Young People Seeking Orthodontic Treatment in New Zealand. Dentistry Journal, 7(1). View this article in WRRO
- A Comparison of Three Child OHRQoL Measures. Dentistry Journal, 7(1). View this article in WRRO
- Development and evaluation of CARIES-QC: a caries-specific measure of quality of life for children. BMC Oral Health, 18. View this article in WRRO
- Development and evaluation of the children's experiences of dental anxiety measure. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry, 28(2), 140-151. View this article in WRRO
- Immediate management of avulsion injuries in children. Dental Update, 44(8), 713-723.
- Change in children's oral health-related quality of life following dental treatment under general anaesthesia for the management of dental caries: a systematic review. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry, 27(4), 302-312. View this article in WRRO
- Traumatic dental injury research: on children or with children?. Dental Traumatology. View this article in WRRO
- Development of the malocclusion impact questionnaire (MIQ) to measure the oral healthrelated quality of life of young people with malocclusion: Part 2 - cross-sectional validation. Journal of Orthodontics, 43(1), 14-23. View this article in WRRO
- Does orthodontic treatment improve oral health-related quality of life?. Evidence-Based Dentistry, 16(3), 86-86.
- The impact of dental caries on children and young people: what they have to say?. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry, 25(5), 327-338. View this article in WRRO
- A multicentre, multicycle audit of the prescribing practices of three paediatric dental departments in the North of England. British Dental Journal, 218(12), 681-685. View this article in WRRO
- Primary care dentists' experience of treating avulsed permanent teeth. British Dental Journal, 219(5), 216-217.
- Assessment of the quality of measures of child oral health-related quality of life. BMC Oral Health, 14(1). View this article in WRRO
- 'I felt weird and wobbly.' Child-reported impacts associated with a dental general anaesthetic.. Br Dent J, 216(8), E17. View this article in WRRO
- Undergraduates' self-reported clinical experience, confidence and perspectives of hospital and outreach paediatric dentistry: a three-year multi-centre evaluation.. Br Dent J, 216(5), 251-256.
- Video diaries to capture children's participation in the dental GA pathway.. Eur Arch Paediatr Dent, 14(5), 325-330.
- Involving children in research, audit and service evaluation.. Br Dent J, 214(11), 577-582. View this article in WRRO
- Assessing children's dental anxiety: A systematic review of current measures. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, 41(2), 130-142. View this article in WRRO
- Impact of the Hall technique for preformed metal crown placement on undergraduate paediatric dentistry experience.. Eur J Dent Educ, 17(1), e10-e15.
- Commentaries on scientific papers published in this edition. Journal of Orthodontics, 38(1), 4.
- Prescription practices in three paediatric dental departments in the North of England. INT J PAEDIATR DENT, 20, 10-12.
- The use of intranasal midazolam in the treatment of paediatric dental patients.. Anaesthesia, 62(12), 1262-1265.
- The use of micro-Raman spectroscopy to differentiate between sound and eroded primary enamel. INT J PAEDIATR DENT, 17(4), 274-280.
- Exposure to nitrous oxide in a paediatric dental unit.. Int J Paediatr Dent, 17(2), 116-122.
- Propofol intravenous conscious sedation for anxious children in a specialist paediatric dentistry unit.. Int J Paediatr Dent, 14(1), 2-8.
- Clinical Effectiveness Bulletin. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry, 20, 7-23.
- View this article in WRRO Selection and validation of a classification system for a child-centred preference-based measure of oral health-related quality of life specific to dental caries. Journal of Patient-Reported Outcomes.
- The Utility and Feasibility of Routine Use of a Patient-Reported Outcome Measure in Paediatric Dentistry. Oral, 1(4), 290-299.
- Management of Dental Caries in Primary Teeth, BDJ Clinician’s Guides (pp. 83-101). Springer International Publishing
- History, examination, risk assessment, and treatment planning In Welbury R, Duggal M & Hosey MT (Ed.), Paediatric Dentistry (pp. 31-48). Oxford University Press
- Communication and the Use of Language, Dental Fear and Anxiety in Pediatric Patients (pp. 117-136). Springer International Publishing
Conference proceedings papers
- View this article in WRRO Impact on children of dental caries and treatment under GA. IADR Abstract Archives. London, UK, 23 July 2018 - 28 July 2018.
- Young Researcher's Prize Category. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry, Vol. 27 (pp 2-3) View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Selection and validation of a classification system for a child-centred caries-specific utility measure
- Teaching interests
I am interested in developing novel digital learning tools to support clinical teaching. I was lucky to take part in the University of Sheffield's Digital Retreat run by Elevate and was able to produce interactive digital scenarios to support student learning using Xerte Online Toolkits. This type of learning material had been requested by students to support their learning in conditions that they may see infrequently, such as dental trauma.
- Teaching activities
I am Programme Lead for the Master of and Doctorate in Clinical Dentistry (Paediatric Dentistry), the Co-Theme Leader for the Oral Cavity in Health and Disease theme (clinical component) and I am the Deputy Clinical Finals Coordinator. I tech throughout the BDS and DH&DT curricula delivering lectures, tutorials and clinical teaching.
- Professional activities
- Associate Editor, BMC Oral Health (January 2015-present)
- Chair of the Organising Committee for BSPD conference 2022
- Research Steering Group CLEFT charity (May 2021-present)
- External Examiner Queens University, Belfast and University of Glasgow
- Examiner Membership in Paediatric Dentistry and member OSCE Working Party, Royal College of Surgeons
- Examiner Membership of the Faculty of Dentistry
- Member of Paediatric Dentistry Cleft Lip and Palate Clinical Excellence Group
- Member of the Cleft and Craniofacial ECRG