Clinical requirements

We have a series of clinical requirements for students on clinical courses at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels.


Before accepting an offer of a place, you must confirm you will comply these requirements:

Health clearance

All new students starting a course that involves exposure to human blood or other body fluids and tissues must conform to the national guidelines for the protection of patients, healthcare workers and students.

If you're taking a clinical course you'll be expected to achieve a satisfactory level of immunity in terms of Hepatitis B in order to progress on the course and undertake exposure prone procedures (EPPs). You'll be tested for Hepatitis C and HIV when you start your course. A positive result doesn't necessarily exclude you from dental training but if you are able to continue, certain conditions will apply.

If you have serious health problems, or know that you are infected with Hepatitis B, C or HIV, you must disclose this information on your application form. All students with significant health problems will be individually assessed for suitability.

Our immunisation requirements are constantly being reviewed to ensure we meet with current Department of Health guidance. You'll be required to comply with these if you are offered a place. We will advise you further when you apply.

More information is available in this document.

Dress codes

As a clinical student working in a clinical environment, you will need to comply with local Trust policies, which include the need to be "bare below the elbow". Please follow the link below for the full policy details on hand hygiene policy and dress code.

Hand hygiene policy
Dress code policy

Clinical student entry agreement

All clinical students, who study for a University degree, are exposed to all aspects of the clinical environment and will have access to patient records and confidential and sensitive information.

It is therefore essential that Dental Students, Hygiene and Therapy Students and postgraduates undergoing clinical training must be aware of and fulfil the requirements of the General Dental Council, as published in Standards for Dental Professionals which explains the standards of behaviour and professionalism expected of all Dental Professionals including students.

Before accepting the offer of a place to study at The University of Sheffield, we wish you to be aware of these GDC guidelines and to have read the School´s expectations below with regards to professionalism and fitness to practise.

We ask you to agree to the following, as derived from the GDC requirements to guide you as you follow your clinical programme. If you have difficulty with any aspects of the following statements, then the Dental School will discuss with you how best to resolve the matter.

Please read the full document.

Professionalism and fitness to practice

As a clinical student you will need to maintain appropriate levels of professionalism and behaviour in relation to your interactions with colleagues, staff and patients.

For more information on the standards expected of a dental professional, please refer to the links below to the General Dental Council documents:

Standards for the Dental Team

Student Fitness to Practise

Our patients are treated as part of an NHS service.  As such all students must adhere to the principles and values contained within The NHS Constitution.

Disclosure and Barring Service

Depending on your chosen course of study, if you are a UK resident, places may be subject to a satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. If you are an overseas applicant, your application may be subject to a satisfactory check from your local police station (sometimes referred to as a Certificate of Good Conduct) along with the Disclosure and Barring Service Check (DBS). We will advise you further when you apply.

A world-class university – a unique student experience

Sheffield is a research university with a global reputation for excellence. We're a member of the Russell Group: one of the 24 leading UK universities for research and teaching.