Mr Jonathan Dixon
BDSc (Hons), PGCert (MID), PGCert (MedEd), MMedSci (Rest Dent), MFDS MDTFEd RCSEd, SFHEA, MAcadMEd
School of Clinical Dentistry
Clinical Academic Fellow in Restorative Dentistry
Full contact details
School of Clinical Dentistry
19 Claremont Crescent
I am currently a Clinical Academic Fellow in Restorative Dentistry at the University of Sheffield.
I received Bachelor’s Degree in Dentistry with Honours from Universidad Cardenal Herrera, Valencia, Spain with distinctions in numerous subjects, including: Conservative Dentistry, Endodontics, Periodontics and Prosthodontics.
After qualifying as a dentist I worked in a variety of dental settings in the UK before starting my role at the University of Sheffield in 2017. I have been lucky enough to experience dentistry in the UK, Spain and Sweden.
Prior to my role in Sheffield I completed a Postgraduate Certificate in Advanced Minimal Intervention Dentistry at King’s College London and I passed the examinations and became a member of the Dental Faculty of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh.
I enjoy all aspects of Restorative Dentistry, with a particular interest in Fixed and Removable Prosthodontics, Periodontics and Conservative Dentistry.
My role as a Clinical Academic Fellow in Restorative Dentistry covers three main areas: further clinical training, clinical teaching and research.
I completed my Masters degree in Restorative Dentistry with distinction in 2019 and I am currently undertaking a PhD on a part-time basis.
- Bachelors Degree in Dental Surgery
- Masters Degree in Restorative Dentistry
- Membership of the Faculty of Dental Surgery (Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Advanced Minimal Intervention Dentistry
- Postgraduate Certificate in Medical Education
- Membership of the Faculty of Dental Trainers (Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh)
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (Advance HE)
- Member of the Academy of Medical Education
- Research interests
I have a keen interest in dental education. My research to date focuses on pre-clinical skills training, simulation in dentistry, sustainability in dental education and exploring dental education in Europe.
I am the lead for The University Sheffield in an Erasmus+-funded project titled "O-Health-Edu". This pan-European project includes 8 other University partners from across Europe and the Association for Dental Education in Europe. The project aims to understand to current state of dental education in Europe and to provide a vision for dental education in the future.
- ARTICULATE: A European glossary of terms used in Oral Health Professional education. European Journal of Dental Education.
- Complicating factors in complete dentures: assessing case complexity. British Dental Journal, 231(8), 451-455.
- Combining virtual reality and 3D printed models to simulate patient‐specific dental operative procedures – a study exploring student perceptions. European Journal of Dental Education.
- Embedding environmental sustainability within the modern dental curriculum –Exploring current practice and developing a shared understanding. European Journal of Dental Education. View this article in WRRO
- O-Health-Edu : Advancing oral health: A vision for dental education. European Journal of Public Health, 30(Supplement_5).
- Defining dental operative skills curricula: an ADEE consensus paper. European Journal of Dental Education. View this article in WRRO
- O‐HEALTH‐EDU: A scoping review on the reporting of oral health professional education in Europe. European Journal of Dental Education. View this article in WRRO
- Re‐defining the virtual reality dental simulator: Demonstrating concurrent validity of clinically relevant assessment and feedback. European Journal of Dental Education.
- COVID‐19: The immediate response of European academic dental institutions and future implications for dental education. European Journal of Dental Education. View this article in WRRO
- Degradation and Durability of Resin-Dentine Hybrid Layers In Khurshid Z & Sheikh Z (Ed.), Dental Materials Principles and Applications (pp. 219-231). Paramount Books
- Teaching interests
I enjoy teaching all aspects of Restorative Dentistry for both Dentistry and Dental Hygiene and Therapy students.
- Teaching activities
I lead the Basic Clinical Skills course for 2nd year Dentistry and 1st year Dental Hygiene and Therapy students. I teach all year groups on the Dentistry programme.
In August 2021 I was awarded the Excellence in Dental Education (Early Career) Award.
- Professional activities
- Dental Faculty of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Faculty of Dental Trainers of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- British Society of Prosthodontics (BSSPD)
- British Society of Periodontics (BSP)
- Association for Dental Education in Europe Academy of Medical Educators