Dr Sarah Pollington
BDS, MMedSci, MFDS RCPS, DipEd, PhD, FDS (Rest Dent) RCPS
School of Clinical Dentistry
Senior Clinical Teacher in Restorative Dentistry
Honorary Consultant in Restorative Dentistry
Director of Student Affairs
+44 114 215 9331
Full contact details
School of Clinical Dentistry
19 Claremont Crescent
I joined the University of Sheffield in 2001 as a Clinical Lecturer in Restorative Dentistry. Since then I have been awarded a PhD in 2008 and completed specialist training in 2013. I am on the GDC specialist list in Restorative Dentistry, Prosthodontics, Periodontics and Endodontics and have 24 years clinical experience in a variety of settings including dental hospital and general practice. I am currently a Senior Clinical Teacher and Honorary Consultant in Restorative Dentistry.
My interests include teaching and research including clinical trial work. My main teaching activities include clinical and laboratory teaching of both undergraduate BDS dental students and post-graduate taught (DClinDent) students and Specialty Registrars.
As Theme Leader for 2nd BDS DEN204 curriculum and Course Lead 2nd BDS/1st H and T Basic Clinical Skills Course, 3rd BDS Intermediate Restorative Skills Course and 4th BDS Advanced Clinical Skills Course, I am involved with the organisation and development of these courses.
- Research interests
My main fields of research have included ceramics and adhesive dentistry and I have been an active member of the Oral Biomaterials Research Group at the School of Clinical Dentistry since 2002. My research interests have focussed on the manufacture, characterisation, properties and applications of oral biomaterials and specifically novel ceramic materials for use as indirect CAD/CAM core restorative materials and veneering ceramics. This work concentrated on the production of materials with improved strength and durability. Other areas of research currently being investigated include new commercial PEKK materials and the clinical evaluation of restorative systems.
- Effect of repeated laser surface treatments on shear bond strength between zirconia and veneering ceramic. The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, 123(2), 338.e1-338.e6.
- A morphometric study of the sella turcica: race, age, and gender effect. Folia Morphologica.
- Research group
- Omar Alsadon (PhD) Evaluating PEKK as a prosthodontic restorative material (primary supervisor with D Patrick and D Wood) 2013 – 2017
- Abdul-Rahman Elmougy (Restorative ACF) The applicability of PEKK in crowns for posterior teeth (with N Martin) 2015 - 2021
- N Martin (Principal Clinical Investigator), S Pollington (Clinical Study manager), S Mulligan and S Shahrbaf: Clinical Post-market Surveillance Study of Prime and Bond Universal when used for Class II restorations
- N Martin (Principal Clinical Investigator), S Pollington (Clinical Study manager), D Wood and Shahrbaf: Comparative clinical evaluation of two different methods of recording intra-oral physical impressions for the fabrication of indirect dental restorations: A pilot study.
- Teaching activities
- Theme Leader for 2nd BDS DEN204 curriculum
- Course Lead for 2nd BDS/1st H and T Basic Clinical Skills Course, 3rd BDS Intermediate Restorative Skills Course and 4th BDS Advanced Clinical Skills Course
- Restorative Clinical Coordinator for 4th BDS
- Clinical tutor on Restorative and Periodontology for 2nd – 5th BDS students
- Tutor for the Advanced Pulpal Disease Course
- SIMS teaching for 1st BDS and 2nd BDS students
- Lectures for BODC, IODC and ICP (2nd, 3rd and 4th BDS)
- New patient clinics - teaching of 4th BDS students
- Chair of 3rd Year Working Party Committee, 2nd Year Working Party member, Restorative Clinical Coordinator for 4th BDS students, Teaching Committee member, Board of Dental Studies member and IODC and ICP Theme Working Group member
- Clinical tutor for postgraduate DClinDent students
- Poly Clinic supervision for DCT and StR
- New patient clinics - teaching of postgraduate DClinDent students
- Lectures, tutorials, case based discussions, annotated bibliographies
- Examiner of class and professional examinations
- Professional activities
- MFDS Part 2 Deputy Convenor (North West England) (RCPSG) from 2015
- External examinership for MFDS Part 1 and 2 examinations (Glasgow) since 2007
- MFDS Part 1 MSA Lead Examiner from 2011 to 2013
- External examiner University of Birmingham for 1st BDS module Professionalism and the Foundations of Dental Practice from 2016
- External examiner for University of Leeds for MSc in Restorative Dentistry 2106-2017
- Local organiser for MFDS Part 1 examination in Sheffield since 2012
- Clinical panel member for Dental Complaints Service since 2006
- Organiser for Sheffield heat of the RCSEd Clinical Skills Competition since 2013
- Organiser of BSRD evening revision lecture for final year UG students and foundation trainees 2016
- Organiser for the CPD evening lecture series
- Editorial board member and reviewer for Operative Dentistry
- Editorial board member and reviewer for Clinical, Cosmetic & Investigational Dentistry
- Editorial board member and reviewer for International Journal of Contemporary Dentistry
I completed specialist training to be a Consultant in Restorative Dentistry May 2013 and I am on the GDC specialist list in Restorative Dentistry, Prosthodontics, Periodontics and Endodontics.
I have 24 years clinical experience in a variety of settings including dental hospital and general practice.