Erasmus+ Traineeships

There is no central office in the University of Sheffield that administers inbound traineeships (or work placements, as they are more commonly called in the UK).

Students who are interested in undertaking a work placement at the University of Sheffield should contact the department they wish to work in directly.

List of departments

Erasmus+ traineeship students do not have the same status as registered University of Sheffield students.

This means that:

  • The receiving department must register them as external visitors
  • They must obtain an external visitor card, not a student u-card
  • Access can only be granted to the Western Bank Library (not the IC) by applying for an External Borrower Card
  • They must find their own accommodation and cannot apply for University owned housing
  • They may be liable to pay Council Tax
  • They do not have access to the same University services as registered students

Erasmus+ traineeship documents issued by the sending university (for example, the Learning Agreement for Traineeships) must be signed by the supervisor in the hosting department.

What about insurance?

The University of Sheffield's insurance policy covers interns for liability but not for accidents. The latter must be adequately covered either by a privately purchased insurance policy or by the policy of the sending university.