Academic clinical fellowships in Cardiology and Cardiovascular Research
Clinical cardiology and cardiovascular research at Sheffield is conducted predominantly within the Department of Infection, Immunity, and Cardiovascular Disease.
There are a wide range of both clinical and non-clinical academic staff who can supervise clinical academic trainees in a diverse range of areas. These include, but are not restricted to:
- Coronary and cardiovascular imaging (MRI, angiography) with world-leading expertise in these areas and in using mathematical modelling to extract important data from clinical imaging (Prof Julian Gunn, Prof Jim Wild, Dr Andy Swift)
- Development and testing of novel antiplatelet strategies for acute coronary syndromes (Prof Rob Storey)
- Understanding the mechanisms of angiogenesis and vascular remodelling, using a range of cell and pre-clinical models including zebrafish (Prof Tim Chico)
- Genetic studies of bleeding disorders (Prof Martina Daly, Prof Mike Makris)
- Understanding the inflammatory basis of cardiovascular disease and atherosclerosis (Prof Eva Qwarnstrom, Prof Sheila Francis, Dr Heather Wilson)
- Discovery of how cardiovascular disease predisposes to dementia and neurodegeneration (Prof Sheila Francis, Prof Tim Chico, colleagues in Departments of Psychology and Neuroscience)
- Understanding how blood flow contributes to atherosclerosis and vascular repair (Prof Paul Evans, Dr Vikki Ridger)
- Clinical and mechanistic studies of pulmonary arterial hypertension (Dr Allan Lawrie, Prof David Kiely, Dr Alex Rothman)
We work closely with colleagues from other clinical specialities, including renal medicine, respiratory medicine, infectious diseases, and radiology. Clinical academic trainees performing research in the department enjoy a supportive and educational environment, with a thriving seminar and research meeting programme and a wide range of opportunities for scientific and personal development.
If you are an academic trainee seeking a research project, or are considering applying for such a post and would like to discuss opportunities in cardiovascular research in Sheffield, please contact the academic lead for Cardiology Professor Julian Gunn (firstname.lastname@example.org).
A global reputation
Sheffield is a research university with a global reputation for excellence. We're a member of the Russell Group: one of the 24 leading UK universities for research and teaching.