Our interest is to apply our expertise in fluid dynamics to the study of biological systems.
Research was developed on blood circulation in the retinal vasculature in collaboration with Dr Heping Xu (Queen's University Belfast). A particular interest is the determination of the pressure, shear force and flow resistance in the retinal vessels and their relationship with various retinal disorders.
Recently completed projects
Modelling of blood circulation in the retinal vasculature, 03/2006 – 02/2009.
- P. Ganesan, S. He and H. Xu, Development of an image-based capillary model for retinal vasculature’, Journal of Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine,102 (1), pp. 35-46, 2011.
- P. Ganesan, S. He and H. Xu, Modelling of the pulsatile blood flow in arterial trees of retinal vasculature, Medical Engineering & Physics, 33 (7), pp.810-823, 2011.
- P. Ganesan, S. He and H. Xu, Development of an image-based network model of retinal vasculature, Annals of Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 38, 1566-1585, 2010.
- P. Ganesan, S. He and H. Xu, Analysis of retinal circulation using an image-based network model of retinal vasculature’, Journal of Microvascular Research, Vol. 80, pp99-109, 2010.
- Shen S, Lang B, Nakamoto C, Zhang F, Pu J, Kuan SL, Chatzi C, He S, Mackie I, Brandon NJ, Marquis KL, Day M, Hurko O, McCaig CD, Riedel G, St Clair D.. Schizophrenia-related neural and behavioral phenotypes in transgenic mice expressing truncated Disc1. J Neurosci. 28:10893-904, 2008
A global reputation
Sheffield is a research university with a global reputation for excellence. We're a member of the Russell Group: one of the 24 leading UK universities for research and teaching.