Information and resources on finding short and long-term accommodation in Sheffield.


Arriving in Sheffield and Short-term accommodation

It can be difficult to arrange accommodation in the UK while you are abroad so you may find it helpful to arrange short-term accommodation (for approximately 3-4 weeks) before you arrive in Sheffield

Smart Move Sheffield, the University's private sector housing team maintains a list of temporary accommodation options in Sheffield, from bed & breakfasts (B&Bs) to short-term let apartments and five-star hotels.

This includes the University of Sheffield's short-term options - Jonas Hotel, flexible, hybrid accommodation containing en-suite bedrooms and communal kitchen and dining facilities; and Halifax Hall, a boutique hotel with en-suite bedrooms, and a bar and restaurant.

If you have family coming to Sheffield with you , we strongly recommend that, if possible, you travel initially to Sheffield alone.  This is because short-term accommodation can be expensive, and there are limited options for families.  On the other hand, single visitors have more options, and these are often cheaper.  Your family can then join you when you have secured longer-term housing.

Depending on your circumstances, you have two long-term accommodation options: renting or buying a property.  Buying a property is often a lengthy process, and therefore it is advisable to rent somewhere to live initially.  This gives you time to explore the region and get a better idea of where you would most like to live, if you plan to rent or buy in Sheffield on a longer-term basis.

Renting a property

A wide range of properties are available to rent in Sheffield.  Minimum rental periods tend to be six or twelve months, and are typically renewed on a monthly basis after that.

Those searching for a property should be aware of the Tenants Fees Act 2019 which bans most letting fees, and caps tenancy deposits paid by tenants in England.

Tenants can, however, be charged a refundable holding deposit (maximum of one weeks' rent) and a refundable security deposit (usually a maximum of 5 weeks' rent) in advance of moving in.

Security deposits must be secured with Government tenancy deposit scheme if the tenant signs an Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement (or ATS for short) - this is the most common contract type that the majority of people will sign.  The 3 government-backed schemes are:

Deposit Protection Service


Tenancy Deposit Scheme

Rented accommodation normally states whether it is furnished, part-furnished or unfurnished.  Unfurnished means that no furniture is supplied, although carpets and light fitting are normally supplied as standard.

Definitions of part-furnished will vary according to the size and type of accommodation rented.  You should always check carefully to ascertain what services are provided by the person you are renting from before signing the contract or agreement.

How to find a property

University of Sheffield support

Smart Move Sheffield is a University service that offers house-hunting advice, and maintains a list of registered private housing and can also advise on University properties for staff and students.

Prospective members of staff will need a password to access the web pages, please email for a password, confirming your full name, job role and department.

Please note that the University has very little accommodation available to visitors and staff because it's primarily allocated to students who have families with them.  Whether the team can offer you accommodation will depend on current occupancy levels and demand from students.

Areas to search

There are several popular areas in Sheffield, and which suits you most will depend on what you are looking for. Sheffield, like the rest of the UK, has postcodes indicating which part of the city you are in.  The University is in S10, but is also very close to S1, S3, S11 and S6.  This makes those areas popular with both staff and students at the University, as they are mostly commutable in distance.  S7 and S8 are also desirable areas in Sheffield due to their proximity to local amenities and access to good schools.

Some of these postcode prefixes do cover a large area, so it's important to make use of tools like Google Maps to see how far away a certain road or property is from your department.

If you have children please bear in mind that your choice of school depends on where you live and whether your street will be in the catchment area of your preferred school.  Therefore, when choosing a place to live it is worth researching the catchment areas of local schools.

Staff members in Smart Move are happy to chat with new staff members about the different areas in Sheffield to give you an idea of what they are like. It's also worth chatting to your future colleagues about their thoughts, because what is suitable for one person may not be for another.  

Here are some of the popular areas in Sheffield.  For an idea of the location of these areas in Sheffield along with some key University buildings, take a look at this map.


An area increasing in popularity due to its central location.  It's around 5-15 minutes walk from most University buildings and West Street.  You can access amenities in the city centre, Broomhill and Ecclesall Road easily from this area.


It has it's own high street with a good range of shops, from pharmacies, banks, charity shops to zero-waste shops and supermarkets.  It is on a main bus route and is close to campus, being a 15 minute walk away.  

City centre and West Street

Close to the University with all the amenities of the city centre close at hand and excellent transport links.  Accommodation is mainly en-suite flats or studios.


Hilly Crookes has a nice atmosphere with lots of takeaways and pubs.  It has it's own high street with a good range of shops and is on main bus routes to campus and the city centre.  It is an area with a mixture of young professionals, and families.


Is very popular area for University of Sheffield students.  There is a good range of local shops and amenities and it is 10-15 minute walk from most University buildings.

Ecclesall Road

Popular with students and families Ecclesall road offers a wide variety of restaurants, coffee shops, pubs, bars and shops.  Close to the Sheffield Botanical Gardens and Endcliffe Vale Park the area has some lovely green spaces.  It is within walking distance of the city centre and on main bus routes.


A popular suburb of Sheffield.  The local Hillsborough park is a popular location with families in the area and has a playground, sports facilities and a lake.  There are good local amenities, including smaller independent shops and cafes and a large supermarket.  Hillsborough's local tram links offer quick and easy access to main campus and the city centre.

Kelham island

An urban neighbourhood, two minutes from campus by tram and a short walk from the city centre.  There are a good variety of restaurants and bars in this are.  Accommodation is mainly apartments.


Quieter with more locals. Walkley has a great community spirit and independent shops.  Neighbouring Crookes, it has great access to campus and the city centre.  

Estate Agents

Sheffield has a number of letting agencies which can easily be found with an internet search.  Rightmove gives you a list of national and local agencies in the Sheffield area.

Most have their own websites with contact and branch details which usually have photographs and details of each property available.  Websites such a Right Move or Zoopla include the option to search for accommodation offered for rent or sale by location.

The University does not endorse external websites, and cannot vouch for the quality of accommodation advertised.

Tenancy Agreements

Once you have found somewhere you want to live you will have to sign a contract called a Tenancy Agreement. This document should contain information about the amount of rent, when the rent will be collected, the length of tenancy and what rights you and your landlord will have under the law.  In most cases, you will have an 'assured shorthold tenancy' which means that your landlord cannot ask you to leave without a good reason during the first six months.

Although these rights offer you some protection, it is still your responsibility to check the tenancy agreement thoroughly and make sure you agree with the terms.  Do not sign the tenancy agreement if you do not know what all of it means.

If you do not fully understand your rights, you can get help from the Citizens Advice or Shelter websites.  When you do sign the tenancy agreement, make sure you get a copy to keep for yourself, in case you need to check any details later on.  

The landlord may ask you to sign an inventory: a list of all the items in the property (pieces of furniture, kitchen items, etc).  If so, make sure you get a copy of this as well.

Check that it is correct and that any existing damage to these items is included before signing it.  If your landlord does not provide an inventory, you should make one yourself and send a copy to the landlord.

Before moving in, when you have signed an Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement, a landlord or agent must provide you with a How to Rent checklist, a copy of the latest Gas Safety Record (done within the last 12 months, and only if there is gas in the property), a copy of the Energy Performance Certificate and the prescribed information for the Deposit Scheme (this must be done within 30 days of you paying a security deposit).

They should also provide you with a copy of the Electrical Installation Certificate or Condition report that has been done within the last 5 years and proof that the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in the property are in good working order.

Failure of the landlord to provide any of these things should be raised with Citizens Advice or Shelter, as there can be implications for the landlord including prevention from serving Section 21 eviction notices to financial compensation, depending on which item they haven't provided.

Leaving a property

Before you leave a property you need to settle all your bills.  You should contact your gas and electricity supplier a few days before you are due to leave and tell them you are leaving.

You will need to give them a meter reading so they can send you a final bill the next day.  If your supplier cannot do this you must give them a forwarding address to send the bill to.

You will have to close any other accounts you may have in the UK such as internet and telephone.  If you are moving property you may be able to stay with the same suppliers at your new address, you should talk to your suppliers about this possibility.  You'll need to register for Council Tax at your new property.

You must also make sure that your rent is fully paid and give your landlord your new address so that your deposit can be paid back to you.  They may be able to transfer your money online, so ask your landlord for information well in advance.

You will also need to update your contact details with the University of Sheffield, this can be changed by logging into MUSE and accessing MyJob - the University's self-service facility for staff.  You may also want to consider redirecting your post through the Royal mail.

Buying a property

Buying a property is a complex and costly procedure and depending on your circumstances may require you to take out a mortgage.  There are a number of mortgage lenders in the UK, usually banks and building societies, who offer a huge range of mortgages.

Each lender sets their own eligibility criteria for each mortgage therefore it can take time to find a suitable mortgage.

We strongly advise you to speak to an independent mortgage or financial adviser who will be able to provide you with information about your eligibility for a mortgage in the UK. You will be able to find a number of mortgage advisers through an internet search, ensuring you check their reviews.

When buying a property it is usually necessary to hire a solicitor. Completion times can range from 6-8 weeks to several months, depending on the specific circumstances of the property being purchased, the buyer and the seller.

Where a mortgage is required, buyers will normally be required to pay a significant deposit, typically at least 10% of the purchase price in addition to a range of additional fees including lender's valuation, surveyors' fees, legal/conveyance fees, land registry fees, and stamp duty.

You can visit the government website for further details and costs of purchasing a property.

What to bring and how to organise the move

You should bring only what you need for your first month and, if necessary organise the shipment of your other possessions to arrive when you move into long-term accommodation.

If you want to bring the UK large items such as furniture, heavy items such as books or boxes containing your additional belongings, you will need to organise a shipment through a professional mover in your home country.

Alternatively you could contact an international mover based in the UK.  The Following five companies offer support with international relocation for details visit their websites:


Clockwork Removals and Storage

Excess International Movers

Robinsons International

SIRVA Worldwide Relocation & Moving

It is recommended that you organise the shipment of your items at least two months in advance of the date you would like to receive them.  The cost of moving depends on the method of shipment, distance, quantity and weight.

You can get a quote from any of the movers' websites.  You should speak to your HR team to determine whether you are eligible for relocation expenses.

A remarkable place to work

We're one of the UK's best not-for-profit places to work, according to the Sunday Times' ranking of Britain’s happiest and most motivated workforces.

A global reputation

Sheffield is a research university with a global reputation for excellence. We're a member of the Russell Group: one of the 24 leading UK universities for research and teaching.