Staff and members of the public
Our courses are open to all members of the public and university staff members.
We have a wide choice of languages for you to study at various levels. Levels range from Beginner to Proficient, with less advanced levels offering a variety of class times so that you can attend at a time that suits you.
Modules are provided by the Modern Languages Teaching Centre, the School of Languages and Cultures and the School of East Asian Studies. Select the relevant department below to find more information.
- Modern Languages Teaching Centre - Arabic, French, German, Italian, Latin, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish
- School of Languages and Cultures - Catalan, Czech, Dutch, Luxembourgish, Russian
- School of East Asian Studies - Chinese, Japanese, Korean
Courses cost £240 for 1 semester and £420 for 2 semesters, except for Italian accelerated modules which are £420 for 1 semester and £840 for 2 semesters.
- Semester one (Autumn): 5pm, Friday 18th October 2019
- Semester two (Spring): 5pm, Friday 28th February 2020
Cancellations made before these deadlines will result in a refund of the course fee, minus an administrative charge of £50.00.
Refunds will not be issued after these deadlines, unless:
- Extenuating circumstances apply, which can be evidenced
- AND no more than three teaching weeks were attended
A student who enrols for both Autumn and Spring semesters, completes the Autumn semester, and then decides not to continue in Spring may cancel their Spring module up until the Spring deadline. In these cases, the refund will be equal to the two-semester fee minus the one-semester fee, minus an administrative charge of £50.00.
Spring semester cancellations submitted before 5pm, Friday 24th January 2020 will result in a waiver of the £50.00 administrative fee. In these cases, the refund will be equal to the two-semester fee minus the one-semester fee.
A world top-100 university
We're a world top-100 university renowned for the excellence, impact and distinctiveness of our research-led learning and teaching.