Dr Nik Reeves-McLaren
BSc (Hons) PhD
Department of Materials Science and Engineering
Senior Lecturer in Energy Materials
Director of Postgraduate Taught Programmes
Facility Director - XRD Research Facility
+44 114 222 6013
Full contact details
Department of Materials Science and Engineering
Sir Robert Hadfield Building
Nik Reeves-McLaren obtained his BSc (Hons) in Chemistry with New Materials Technology from The University of Aberdeen in 1999, before moving to The University of Sheffield where he undertook a PhD on "Novel Cathode and Anode Materials for Rechargeable Lithium-ion Batteries”.
He was appointed as XRD Research Facility Manager in November 2003, and promoted to Research and Teaching Fellow in 2014 and then to Senior Lecturer in 2019.
Nik is one of the Principal Investigators of the new Energy Materials Research Group in the department, as well as part of the broader Functional Materials & Devices research group.
- Research interests
Nik’s research programme focusses on energy storage materials, with projects ongoing studying electrode and solid electrolyte materials for lithium-ion and sodium-ion battery applications. Nik is lead supervisor for one PhD project and currently co-supervises three other projects.
The primary and secondary battery markets are hugely important both to consumers and to the economy, with lithium-ion batteries taking a ~37% share of a $74billion industry. Despite their successes and widespread application, there are still genuine concerns over the use of lithium-ion batteries with regards both to performance and safety, with reports that they can catch fire under certain circumstances. The hazards have several causes, but are due in part to the use of flammable organic electrolytes, the formation of solid-electrolyte interfaces and dendritic growth from electrodes causing short circuits. Smaller ‘coin cell’ designs bring risks through ingestion, particularly by children, which can cause severe, rapid, sometimes fatal, injuries to the oesophagus and stomach. Electrode materials also often contain high levels of toxic, environmentally hazardous materials, e.g. cobalt.
Nik’s research focusses on the search for high performance materials that also address these very real safety concerns for the next generation of Lithium-ion batteries.
- Phase distribution, composition, and disorder in Y2(Hf,Sn)2O7 ceramics: insights from solid-state NMR spectroscopy and first-principles calculations. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 124(31), 17073-17084.
- A high‐performance primary nanosheet heterojunction cathode composed of Na0.44MnO2 tunnels and layered Na2Mn3O7 for Na‐ion batteries. ChemSusChem, 13(7), 1793-1799. View this article in WRRO
- Co2TiO4/reduced graphene oxide nanohybrids for electrochemical sensing applications. Nanomaterials, 9(11). View this article in WRRO
- Evaluating lithium diffusion mechanisms in the complex spinel Li2NiGe3O8. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 21(41), 23111-23118. View this article in WRRO
- High temperature and ion implantation-induced phase transformations in novel reduced activation Si-Fe-V-Cr (-Mo) high entropy alloys. Frontiers in Materials, 6. View this article in WRRO
- Synthesis, structure and dielectric properties of a new family of phases, ABC3O11 : A = La, Pr, Nd, Sm, Gd; B = Zr, Hf; C = Ta, Nb. Journal of the Australian Ceramic Society, 55(2), 305-314. View this article in WRRO
- Low‐temperature crystallization of La0.15Sr0.775TiO3 using ionic liquids. Journal of the American Ceramic Society. View this article in WRRO
- Biotemplating: a sustainable synthetic methodology for Na-ion battery materials. Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 6(13), 5346-5355. View this article in WRRO
- Mechanism of Hydrogen-Bonded Complex Formation between Ibuprofen and Nanocrystalline Hydroxyapatite. Langmuir, 33(12), 2965-2976. View this article in WRRO
- Insights into the Influence of Solvent Polarity on the Crystallization of Poly(ethylene oxide) Spin-Coated Thin Films via in Situ Grazing Incidence Wide-Angle X-ray Scattering. Macromolecules, 49(12), 4579-4586. View this article in WRRO
- Interface influence on the properties of Co 90 Fe 10 films on soft magnetic underlayers – Magnetostrictive and Mössbauer spectrometry studies. Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, 401, 943-948. View this article in WRRO
- Spinel–rock salt transformation in LiCoMnO4−δ. Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, 472(2185). View this article in WRRO
- Synthesis and characterisation of Li 11 RE 18 M 4 O 39−δ : RE = Nd or Sm; M = Al, Co or Fe. Dalton Trans., 45(1), 315-323. View this article in WRRO
- Synthesis, structure and electrical properties of N-doped Li3VO4. Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 4, 1408-1413. View this article in WRRO
- Magnetic and Structural Characterization of NiFe/Fe30Co70 Bilayers. IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, 50(11), 1-4. View this article in WRRO
- Influence of soft magnetic underlayers on the magnetic properties of Co
90Fe 10films. Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, 357, 87-92.
- Selective behaviour of dilute Fe3 + ions in silicate glasses: An Fe K-edge EXAFS and XANES study. Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, 387, 47-56.
- Effect of the Ni
81Fe 19thickness on the magnetic properties of Ni 81Fe 19/Fe 50Co 50bilayers. Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, 331, 67-71.
- Crystal structure determination by combined synchrotron powder X-ray diffraction and crystal structure prediction: 1:1 l-ephedrine d-tartrate. CrystEngComm, 15(10), 1853-1859.
- Synthesis and characterization of Li11Nd18Fe4O(39-δ).. Inorg Chem, 51(15), 8073-8082.
- Lithium-Ion Conduction Pathways in Complex Lithium Spine Is Li2MGe3O8 (M = Ni or Zn). CHEM MATER, 23(15), 3556-3563.
- Synthesis, structure and electrical properties of Cu3.21Ti1.16Nb2.63O12 and the CuO x -TiO2-Nb2O5 pseudoternary phase diagram. Journal of Solid State Chemistry.
- Crystal Structure and Microwave Dielectric Properties of LaLuO3 Ceramics. J AM CERAM SOC, 93(10), 2960-2963.
- Polymorphism, Phase Transitions, and Thermal Stability of L-Pyroglutamic Acid. CRYST GROWTH DES, 10(7), 3141-3148.
- Phase Transformations of Glutamic Acid and Its Decomposition Products. CRYST GROWTH DES, 10(2), 988-994.
- Synthesis, structural characterization and Li+ ion conductivity of a new vanado-molybdate phase, LiMg3VMo2O12. Journal of Solid State Chemistry.
- Oxygen nonstoichiometry and phase transitions in LiMn1.5Ni0.5O4-delta. J ELECTROCHEM SOC, 155(4), A282-A291.
- Variable oxygen stoichiometry in layered rock salt cathodes, Li-x(Mn,Ni)O-2, depending on synthesis conditions. JOURNAL OF POWER SOURCES, 174(2), 1078-1081.
- Order-disorder transition in the complex lithium spinel Li2CoTi3O8. J SOLID STATE CHEM, 180(6), 1894-1901.
- Oxygen stoichiometry-structure-property correlations in Li-2/3[Mn2/3Ni1/3]O2-delta with O-3 structure. J ELECTROCHEM SOC, 154(8), A760-A769.
- Co-doped Mn3O4: a possible anode material for lithium batteries. J POWER SOURCES, 141(1), 156-158.
- Oxygen content and electrochemical activity of LiCoMnO4-delta. J MATER CHEM, 15(41), 4435-4440.
- Thick lamellar textures and high ambient conductivity in de-blended mixtures of low-dimensional systems of two polymers and Li salts. ELECTROCHIMICA ACTA, 48(14-16), 1939-1951.
- Reversible spinel to rock salt transition in LiCoMnO delta by oxygen (de) intercalation. J MATER CHEM, 11(2), 249-250.
Conference proceedings papers
- Establishing operando diffraction capability through the study of Li-ion (de) intercalation in LiFePO4. Energy Reports, Vol. 6(Supplement 5) (pp 174-179). Southampton, UK, 9 July 2019 - 10 July 2019. View this article in WRRO
- The Spinel LiCoMnO4: 5V Cathode and Conversion Anode. Energy Procedia, Vol. 151 (pp 158-162), 11 September 2018 - 12 September 2018. View this article in WRRO
- High temperature behaviour of polyoxometalates containing lanthanides. SCIENTIFIC BASIS FOR NUCLEAR WASTE MANAGEMENT XXXI, Vol. 1107 (pp 347-353)
- Teaching activities
Nik is responsible for training in the use of XRD equipment and data analysis, including offering workshops on structural refinements via the Rietveld method.
Nik is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Authority, and has presented at the Technology Enhanced Learning Festival (2014, 2015) and the Sheffield Learning and Teaching Conference 2016 on aspects of flipped learning.