Applying for postgraduate research programmes
Applications for MPhil/PhD are accepted all year round.
When you are ready to apply, please use the University's online application form:
Normally a first class or upper second class honours degree (eg MEng or MSc) from an approved institution in an appropriate engineering or science subject. Applicants with other qualifications are encouraged to contact the Admissions Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
English requirements for overseas applicants are:
- IELTS 6.5 (with no less than 6 in each component), OR
- TOEFL 88 or above (listening: 19, writing: 19, reading: 20, speaking: 22)
We aim to process your application as quickly as possible, but there are some simple steps you can take to speed up this process.
In the first case, please check the advertised list of current positions and specify one or more of these if relevant.
If you are applying with your own idea for a PhD topic, please take a look at our staff webpages, and identify up to three academics whose research interests align with your proposal, and who you think may be suitable supervisors for your PhD.
If, at the time of applying, you have already been in contact with your proposed supervisor, please state this in your supporting statement.
When preparing your supporting statement or research proposal, please keep this concise (one page maximum), and we will contact you if we need more detail.
Information you should consider including is:
- Your reason for applying for a PhD, and in particular why you have selected Sheffield and this department;
- A brief description of your proposed topic and/or your suitability for the specific area you are applying for;
- Additional information regarding your proposed source of funding (unless applying for a funded PhD position);
- Anything not covered elsewhere in your application that you feel makes you a strong candidate for undertaking a PhD at Sheffield.
We are unable to proceed an application without references as these are an integral part of the application process. Please ensure that you have uploaded your references before submitting your application.
Before we make an offer, you may be required to have a phone, Skype or face to face interview as requested by your proposed supervisor.
If we need further information in order to process your application, we will contact you by email - please make sure the email address you specify is one you check regularly.
If you decide to withdraw your application for any reason, please inform Marina Boulis (email@example.com) as soon as possible.
Once you receive an offer
You will receive further information about registration close to your time of arrival.
If you are an international student, you will require ATAS clearance before joining us.
Find a PhD
Search for PhD opportunities at Sheffield and be part of our world-leading research.