International students

International students

Physics is a truly global subject and we have welcomed students from Europe, the Middle East, Asia, and North and Latin America to our department. Our international research collaborations stretch from the ATLAS experiment in Switzerland and the LUK-Zeplin experiment in the United States, to the T2K Collaboration in Japan and our partnership with the National Council of Science and Technology in Mexico.

The University of Sheffield's webpages have lots more information about what makes Sheffield a great place to study, how we'll help you settle in and the support that is available throughout your degree. There is also information about English language requirements, visa requirements, funding opportunities and other information specific to your country.

Applying for your PhD

All of the projects listed on our 'Projects' page are available to international students and any funding that is available to international students is listed on our 'Funding your PhD' page.

Once you have identified a project, a supervisor and a source of funding, you can complete the University's postgraduate online application form.

Postgraduate online application form

A full explanation of how to complete the form, including details of the supporting documents you will need to submit, is given on the University's webpages for postgraduate students.

How to apply: applying essentials

Entry requirements

If you have studied at a university in the UK, we usually ask for an upper second class (2:1) honours BSc or MSc degree in physics or engineering.

However, we can also accept qualifications from many other countries. You can find out which qualifications we accept from your country on the University's webpages for international students.

Prospective international students: Your country

You will also need clearance through the Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) before you can start your PhD. You will be given more guidance on the ATAS process if you receive an offer of a place.

Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)

English language requirements

If you have not already studied in a country where English is the majority language, it is likely that you will need to have completed an English language qualification in the two years before starting your PhD. We usually ask for:

International English Language Testing Service (IELTS)
Overall score of 6.5 or above, with at least 5.5 in each component

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), internet-based test only
Overall score of 88 or above, with at least 17 in Listening, 17 in Writing, 18 in Reading and 20 in Speaking

You can find out whether you need to have an english language qualification, and which other English language qualifications we accept, on the University's webpages for international students.

English language requirements

The English Language Teaching Centre offers English language courses for students who are preparing to study at the University of Sheffield.

English Language Teaching Centre

Fees and funding

Up-to-date tuition fees can be found on the University's webpages for international students.

Tuition fees

Some of the funding opportunities listed on our 'Funding your PhD' page are not available to students from outside the UK, so it is important to make sure that you are eligible for any funding you are applying for. The University's webpages for international students include other funding and scholarship opportunities.

Postgraduate research scholarships

It is also a good idea to contact the supervisor of any PhD opportunity you want to apply for, before you submit your application, as they may be able to advise you on other sources of funding.