The University of Sheffield invests a significant amount of funding each year in order to support the very best postgraduate research students. For entry in 2018-19, each Faculty is offering a number of Doctoral Academy and/or Faculty Scholarship awards on a competitive basis.
Please note that the central scholarship scheme for PhD funding at Sheffield for 2018-19 entry is now closed. Late applications will not be accepted. Results are released as soon as possible, but please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Each Faculty can offer a range of Doctoral Academy awards which may include:
- Fees (UK/EU or Overseas) and a full maintenance stipend at the RCUK rate (full-time rate £14,553 in 2017-18)
- Fees (UK/EU or Overseas) and a half maintenance stipend
- Fees only (UK/EU or Overseas)
- A contribution towards fees and/or maintenance
- Access to Research Support funds for conference and other expenses
These scholarships fund up to three years full-time or six years part-time study, subject to satisfactory progress. Part-time studentships are paid at 50% of the full-time rate.
- You should have, or expect to achieve, a first or upper second class UK honours degree or equivalent.
- You should be applying to start your first year of study on a full-time or part-time PhD with the University in academic year 2018-19 (after 1 October 2018).
- Awards are open to UK, EU and international applicants.
How to apply
Scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis - applications are assessed on the basis of academic success and qualifications, experience, research background, a clear well-articulated research proposal, the potential impact of the research and a good match with supervisor/department expertise.