International banner

PhD study for international students

Postgraduate students come from all over the world study one of our taught degrees and begin their PhD research. You can contact our international community of staff and postgraduates if you want to speak to someone from your own country about Psychology in Sheffield. Brochures on postgraduate research can be downloaded from this page in a range of languages.

Contact our international community

You can also contact our International Admissions Officer, Dr Dan Carroll, for free consultancy on your application, admissions and more general issues relating to living and studying in the UK.


The University of Sheffield's webpages have lots more information about what makes Sheffield a great place to study, how we'll help you settle in and the support that is available throughout your degree. There is also information about English language requirements, visa requirements, funding opportunities and other information specific to your country.

Applying for your PhD

All of the projects listed on our 'Projects' page are available to international students and any funding that is available to international students is listed on our 'Funding your PhD' page.

Once you have identified a project, a supervisor and a source of funding, you can complete the University's postgraduate online application form.

Postgraduate online application form

A full explanation of how to complete the form, including details of the supporting documents you will need to submit, is given on the University's webpages for postgraduate students.

How to apply: applying essentials

Entry requirements

If you have studied at a university in the UK, we usually ask for upper second class (2:1) honours degree or above and generally a masters or pending masters graded at merit or distinction in psychology or a related subject.

We ask for upper second class (2:1) honours degree or above in Psychology or a related discipline.

However, we can also accept qualifications from many other countries. You can find out which qualifications we accept from your country on the University's webpages for international students.

Prospective international students: Your country

English language requirements

If you have not already studied in a country where English is the majority language, it is likely that you will need to have completed an English language qualification in the two years before starting your PhD. We usually ask for:

International English Language Testing Service (IELTS)
Overall grade of of 7.0 with no less than 6.0 in writing, reading, speaking and listening

You can find out whether you need to have an english language qualification, and which other English language qualifications we accept, on the University's webpages for international students.

English language requirements

The English Language Teaching Centre offers English language courses for students who are preparing to study at the University of Sheffield.

English Language Teaching Centre

Fees and funding

Up-to-date tuition fees can be found on the University's webpages for international students.

Tuition fees

Some of the funding opportunities listed on our 'Funding your PhD' page may not fully cover tuition fees for students from outside the European Union, so it is important to make sure that you are eligible for any funding you are applying for. The University's webpages for international students include other funding and scholarship opportunities.

Postgraduate research scholarships

It is also a good idea to contact the supervisor of any PhD opportunity you want to apply for, before you submit your application, as they may be able to advise you on other sources of funding.