Withdrawal from the University

If a student is considering withdrawing from the University or transferring to another university they should first discuss their options with their supervisor and/or departmental Postgraduate Lead. Other support services within the University may also be able to assist students in reaching a final decision. Students may benefit from first taking a period of leave of absence to consider their options. If, having carefully considered all available options, a student still wishes to withdraw or transfer, they should complete the Notification of Withdrawal or Transfer (PGR) form.

Completed forms should be submitted to Research Services as soon as possible.  Students should note that they are still liable for payment of outstanding tuition or tuition-related fees up to the date the University receives and processes their withdrawal form.  Please note that retrospective withdrawals or transfers cannot be backdated more than 30 days.  If a student is transferring to another university, proof of acceptance at the other institution, e.g. a copy of an offer letter, may be requested. Any outstanding debts to the University will become payable once a student has left. Some students may also be eligible for a partial refund of tuition fees, depending on when they formally withdrew.  Please refer to the University's tuition fee refund policy.

Where students appear to have left the University without giving any formal notification, departments should report this as soon as possible to Research Services, so that the student may be formally deemed withdrawn. Research Services will normally make a final attempt to contact the student before their student record is closed down.  Problems arise when students are expected to still pay fees they feel are not due, which is why it is essential that the University is notified of their intention to leave as soon as possible.

Withdrawal of international students

International students should note that the University is required to report to the Home Office any Tier 4 visa holders who withdraw from the University or transfer to another university. The Home Office will curtail a student’s visa once a report of a withdrawal is made and the student should leave the UK.  Students are required to leave the UK within 60 days of their withdrawal from the University.  Students transferring to another university should seek immigration advice from their new institution.

Requests for re-admission following a withdrawal

Students who have withdrawn, or who have been deemed withdrawn from the University, have no automatic right of re-admission.  If a request for re-admission is received by the former student's academic department it should be considered carefully, in particular taking into account any difficulties which may have led to the student's withdrawal in the first place.  Requests for re-admission can be approved or rejected by the academic department and consideration should be given to factors such as whether appropriate supervision can still be provided and whether the student's research is still current and/or original.

If a department supports the request for re-admission advice should be sought from Research Services and also from appropriate professional services, depending on the circumstances of the original withdrawal.  For example, if a student was previously withdrawn for medical reasons, it would normally be appropriate to consult with the University Health Service at this point.  Students who were withdrawn due to registration or fee issues would need to have fully addressed these issues in order to be readmitted. With international students, there may be outstanding issues relating to immigration/visa/leave to remain that require expert advice from International Student Support.