BA (Cantab), MMath (Cantab), BSc (Open), PhD (London), CStat
The University of Sheffield
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
Sheffield, S1 4DA
Tel: (+44) (0) 114 222 0740
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 0749
I am a research fellow in mathematical modelling at the School of Health and Related Research (ScHARR), University of Sheffield, UK, which I joined in 2013. I originally studied mathematics at Girton College, Cambridge before doing my PhD in theoretical physics at Imperial College London. I also have an Open degree from the OU for which I mainly studied biological subjects. After my PhD, I worked on infectious disease modelling as a post-doc at Imperial College London, and then at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. I currently hold a career development award fellowship from the UK Medical Research Council.
My research uses mathematical and statistical models to understand the epidemiology of tuberculosis (TB), and the impact and cost-effectiveness of interventions to improve TB control.
- Infectious disease modelling
- Burden estimation
- The epidemiology of TB, particularly in settings with high-HIV prevalence, and population-level TB interventions
- TB in children & interventions to improve case detection
- Drug-resistant TB
- Individual-based modelling methodologies
- Methods for model calibration and uncertainty analysis
I am involved in teaching on the MPH and MBchB courses at the University of Sheffield, particularly supervising projects. I am also a PhD supervisor in the Wellcome Trust Public Health Economics & Decision Science doctoral training centre.
I am a member of the Operational Research Society, the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, the Royal Statistical Society (and a chartered statistician), and the International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease. I am a member of the WHO Global Task Force on TB Impact Measurement and a member of the steering committee for the NIHR ADVANCE programme grant. I serve as an associate editor for the journals BMC Infectious Diseases and BMC Public Health. I am a mentor in the faculty mentoring scheme and a mathematics tutor for the Linacre Institute charity.
I am involved with the following projects:
- Mathematical modelling for TB burden estimation (MRC)
- TBSPEED and Cap-TB projects on interventions for paediatric TB (UNITAID)
- TREATS: Tuberculosis Reduction through Expanded Antiretroviral Treatment and Screening for active TB (EDCTP)
- The Sustainable community action for lung health (SCALE) trial
- Dodd PJ, Yuen CM, Becerra MC, Revill P, Jenkins HE & Seddon JA (2018) Potential effect of household contact management on childhood tuberculosis: a mathematical modelling study. The Lancet Global Health. View this article in WRRO
- Dodd PJ, Yuen CM, Sismanidis C, Seddon JA & Jenkins HE (2017) The global burden of tuberculosis mortality in children: a mathematical modelling study. The Lancet Global Health, 5(9), e898-e906. View this article in WRRO
- Dodd PJ, Prendergast AJ, Beecroft C, Kampmann B & Seddon JA (2017) The impact of HIV and antiretroviral therapy on TB risk in children: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Thorax, 72, 559-575. View this article in WRRO
- Houben RM & Dodd PJ (2016) The Global Burden of Latent Tuberculosis Infection: A Re-estimation Using Mathematical Modelling. PLoS Medicine, 13(10). View this article in WRRO
- Dodd PJ, Sismanidis C & Seddon JA (2016) Global burden of drug-resistant tuberculosis in children: a mathematical modelling study. Lancet Infectious Diseases, 16(10), 1193-1201. View this article in WRRO
- Dodd PJ, Looker C, Plumb ID, Bond V, Schaap A, Shanaube K, Muyoyeta M, Vynnycky E, Godfrey-Faussett P, Corbett EL, Beyers N, Ayles H & White RG (2016) Age- and Sex-Specific Social Contact Patterns and Incidence of Mycobacterium tuberculosis Infection.. Am J Epidemiol, 183(2), 156-166. View this article in WRRO
- Dodd PJ, Gardiner E, Coghlan R & Seddon JA (2014) Burden of childhood tuberculosis in 22 high-burden countries: a mathematical modelling study. The Lancet Global Health. View this article in WRRO
- Pretorius C, Menzies NA, Chindelevitch L, Cohen T, Cori A, Eaton JW, Fraser C, Gopalappa C, Hallett TB, Salomon JA, Stover J, White RG & Dodd PJ (2014) The potential effects of changing HIV treatment policy on tuberculosis outcomes in South Africa: results from three tuberculosis-HIV transmission models. AIDS (London, England), 28 Suppl 1, S25-34.
- Dodd PJ, White RG & Corbett EL (2011) Periodic active case finding for TB: when to look?. PLoS One, 6, e29130-e29130. View this article in WRRO
- Dodd PJ, White PJ & Garnett GP (2010) Notions of synergy for combinations of interventions against infectious diseases in heterogeneously mixing populations. Mathematical Biosciences, 227, 94-104.
- Dodd PJ, Millington KA, Ghani AC, Mutsvangwa J, Butterworth AE, Lalvani A & Corbett EL (2010) Interpreting tuberculin skin tests in a population with a high prevalence of HIV, tuberculosis, and nonspecific tuberculin sensitivity. American Journal of Epidemiology, 171, 1037-1045. View this article in WRRO
- Dodd PJ, Garnett GP & Hallett TB (2010) Examining the promise of HIV elimination by ’test and treat’ in hyperendemic settings. AIDS (London, England), 24, 729-735.