Dr Parveen Ali, PhD, MScN, BScN, RN, SHEA, FRSA
The School of Nursing & Midwifery
Office located at:
Barber House Annexe
3a Clarkehouse Road
Sheffield S10 2LA
T: 0114 2222046
I joined the School of Nursing and Midwifery in 2014 as a Lecturer. I am a Registered Nurse, Registered Nurse Teacher and Senior Fellow of Higher Education Academy and Fellow of Royal Society of Arts. I lead MMedSci Advanced Nursing Studies and Chair the School of Nursing and Midwifery’s Research Ethics Committee. Before joining the School of Nursing and Midwifery, University of Sheffield, I worked as a Lecturer in the Faculty of Health and Social Care, University of Hull. I have been involved in gender based violence and health care research for over 10 years, and have published over 30 papers in peer review journals. I have been involved in several national and international research projects
I am interested in exploring gender based violence especially intimate partner violence from the perspective of victims and perpetrators. I am also interested in exploring health, consanguinity and genetics, and inequalities in health care experiences and health outcomes and how reparation and training of health professionals such as doctors, nurses, and allied health professionals can contribute to tackling such inequalities. I was awarded the Mary Seacole Leadership Award in 2015 that allowed me to explore importance of language concordant communication from the perspective of bilingual nurses.
Recently Funded Projects
- Evaluation of Doncaster Foundation for Change Programme
- Fostering and sustaining UK multidisciplinary family-focused care across the life-course: A White Rose collaboration in long-term condition management
- Enhancing community genetic literacy
- Domestic Violence and Nursing and Midwifery Practice
In addition to leading MMedSci Advanced Nursing Studies, I lead Evidence Based Practice and Research Methods modules. I also contribute to modules on the Postgraduate Diploma in Adult Nursing (PG Dip Adult Nursing) and the BMedSci Health and Human Sciences.
- Member of NHS Research Ethics Committee, Yorkshire and Humber – South Yorkshire
- Core committee member of Clinical Guidelines Update Committee, National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE)
- Member of CLAHRC Yorkshire and Humber Public Health Inequalities Theme Management Group
- Convenor of University of Sheffield Interpersonal Violence Research Network
- Member of Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI) Phi Mu and Rho Delta Chapter
- Fellow of Sheffield Institute of International Development (SIID)
- External Examiner for University of Bedfordshire and Royal College of Surgeons Ireland.
- Editorial Board member for ‘Nursing Open’
- Peer reviewer for a range of funding bodies and international journals
- Ali PA, O’Cathain A & Croot E (2016) Not Managing Expectations: A Grounded Theory of Intimate Partner Violence From the Perspective of Pakistani People. Journal of Interpersonal Violence. View this article in WRRO
- Ali PA & Watson R (2016) Peer review and the publication process. Nursing Open, 3(4), 193-202. View this article in WRRO
- Ali PA & Johnson S (2016) Speaking my patient's language: bilingual nurses’ perspective about provision of language concordant care to patients with limited English proficiency. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 73(2), 421-432. View this article in WRRO
- McGarry J & Ali P (2016) Researching domestic violence and abuse in healthcare settings: Challenges and issues. Journal of Research in Nursing, 21(5-6), 465-476. View this article in WRRO
- McGarry J, Ali P & Hinchliff S (2016) Older women, intimate partner violence and mental health: a consideration of the particular issues for health and health care practice.. Journal of Clinical Nursing. View this article in WRRO
- Ali PA, Dhingra K & McGarry J (2016) A literature review of intimate partner violence and its classifications.. Aggression and Violent Behavior. View this article in WRRO
- Salway S, Ali P, Ratcliffe G, Such E, Khan N, Kingston H & Quarrell O (2016) Responding to the increased genetic risk associated with customary consanguineous marriage among minority ethnic populations: lessons from local innovations in England. Journal of Community Genetics, 7(3), 215-228. View this article in WRRO
- Ali P, McGarry J & Dhingra K (2016) Identifying signs of intimate partner violence.. Emergency Nurse, 23(9), 25-29.
- Rehman SA & Ali PA (2016) A review of factors affecting patient satisfaction with nurse led triage in emergency departments. International Emergency Nursing, 29, 38-44. View this article in WRRO
- Ali PA, Naylor PB, Croot E & O’Cathain A (2015) Intimate Partner Violence in Pakistan. Trauma Violence & Abuse, 16(3), 299-315. View this article in WRRO
- Ali PA & Naylor PB (2013) Intimate partner violence: A narrative review of the feminist, social and ecological explanations for its causation. Aggression and Violent Behavior, 18(6), 611-619.
- Ali PA & Naylor PB (2013) Intimate partner violence: A narrative review of the biological and psychological explanations for its causation. Aggression and Violent Behavior, 18(3), 373-382.