University Executive Board minutes - 24 May 2022
24 May 2022
Professor K Lamberts (KL) (in the Chair), Professor J Derrick (JD), Professor S Fitzmaurice (SF), Professor S Hartley (SH), Professor J Litster (JL), J Jones (JJ), R Sykes (RS), Professor G Valentine (GV), Professor M Vincent (MV), Professor C Watkins (CW)
Dr T Strike (TS), T Wray (TW), I Wright (IW)
Professor D Petley (DNP), Professor C Newman (CN)
M Borland (MB)
Closed Minute and Paper
Addressing the Challenge of Workload and Wellbeing
- UEB considered a paper regarding issues around workload and wellbeing.
- During discussion, the following comments were made:
- It would be worth considering running a workshop for staff to help increase awareness of the regulatory environment.
- Greater encouragement to consider what activity could cease could be undertaken as part of an individual’s SRDS and at a Faculty and Department level.
- Messages to staff would apply to both Professional Services staff and academic staff.
- Further work would be required to identify the source of funding for all of the immediate actions.
- UEB approved the 10 immediate actions, as set out in section 4 of the paper.
Report of the UEB Information Management & Security Group
- (Meeting held on 21 April 2022)
- UEB approved the report and noted the discussions and decisions taken at the previous IMSG meeting.
- UEB noted that recommendations following the closure of the Cyber Programme would be presented to UEB for approval in due course, following approval by IM&SG.
Report of the UEB Strategic Advisory Group – Student Recruitment and Population
- (Meeting held on 31 March 2022)
- UEB considered and approved the report, noting the discussions, key actions and decisions arising from the March meeting of the UEB Strategic Advisory Group: Student Recruitment and Population (SAG SRP).
- I particular, UEB noted updates and work in relation to:
- 2023/24 to 2026/27 Intake Targets Review.
- Planning Cycle 2021/22: Strategic Framework Metric Targets.
- Widening Recruitment and the Admission of Underrepresented Groups.
- Portfolio Review.
Report of the UEB Estates and Capital Sub-Group
- (Meeting held on 5 May)
- UEB approved the Report, including a number of proposals as set out in the related paper and accompanying business cases, subject to Finance Committee and/or Council approval where relevant in accordance with the Scheme of Delegation in relation to the following projects.
Report of the UEB One University Mental Health Strategy Group
- (Meeting held on 30 March)
- UEB approved the report and noted updates on the discussions and decisions taken at the previous meeting of the UEB One University Mental Health Strategy Group (OUMHSG). It was highlighted that the Group’s remit covered both students and staff.
- In particular, UEB:
- Approved the proposed amended Terms of Reference, subject to the correction of the title of the Director of Student Recruitment, Marketing & Admissions.
- Noted work on the development of the strategy and the future timeline.
Industrial Action: Report from Incident Management Team
- UEB received and noted a verbal update, including the receipt of a letter from the local University and College Union with a number of requests.
- Agreed that a response covering each of the demands in the letter would be sent by the VC.
- Noted that a meeting had been scheduled with the local University and College Union in the next week.
- Disability Equality Strategy and Action Plan: GV reported that the strategy would be launched on Friday 17 June and asked that any members of UEB able to attend inform the DVC’s office.