Room Booking Policy
Downloadable version of our Room Booking Policy
Accommodation and Commercial Services Room Booking Policy for the Residences
A room booking policy is in place to enable a consistent and effective system for the booking of meeting and function rooms within the Residences. For the purpose of this document, the “Residences” refers to those sites that are owned and managed by The University of Sheffield.
This policy clarifies which groups can make bookings, which venues are available and states any associated conditions and/or procedures. This policy applies to all room bookings in the residences, during normal student semesters, to include those booked by Residence Life, Students’ Union clubs and societies, and WithUs.
N.B. All bookings will be made with consideration to existing bookings. Please note that whilst we will always endeavour to allocate a room for all enquiries, we cannot guarantee all bookings. However we will offer alternatives where possible to best accommodate the event. Whilst most bookings are free of charge, there are some circumstances where ACS reserves the right to charge which will be communicated at the time of enquiry.
Residence Life Activities and Events i.e. events run and costed by Residence Life
- Bookings to be coordinated via the Residence Life Engagement and Development Team, via Kinetics/Starrez (after 6pm and weekends in term-time) or via WithUS (before 6pm in term time and during Christmas, Easter and Summer holiday periods).
- Room bookings will be free of charge but activities must be for University of Sheffield Accommodation residents only.
- Due to Residence Life events taking priority, bookings for societies or other activities may be altered in terms of time and/or date, but every effort will be made to give sufficient notice.
- For Residence Life bookings, please contact the Residence Life Team – email email@example.com
Students’ Union Clubs and Societies
- Bookings for recognised SU Clubs and Societies are to be coordinated through the Events Coordinator, located at the Students’ Union building.
- Rooms will be allocated based on suitability and availability and bookings will be free of charge provided that there is no ticket or entrance charge made by the event organiser.
- Due to Residence Life and ACS events taking priority, bookings for other students, societies or activities may be altered in terms of time and/or date, but every effort will be made to give sufficient notice.
- Those attending SU Clubs and Societies events must be:
- registered students with The University Of Sheffield;
- and/or members of the relevant SU Club/Society (according to SU rules whereby societies must have 51% student membership);
- Or formally registered visitors of the Club/Society.
Should there be a need for external parties to attend e.g. in the case of an external speaker, details must be both provided to, and confirmed by, TUoS Security a minimum of 14 days prior to the event (more details can be found here).
- Block bookings are permitted only on a per-term basis in order to ensure access to a wide range of clubs and societies. Block booking requests for the proceeding term will be considered commencing the last week of the existing term.
- A maximum of three hours per week is available for regular weekly bookings to ensure access to a wide range of clubs and societies.
- For Students’ Union Club and Society bookings, please contact the Events Coordinator – 0114 222 8524 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Internal or External Conference / Event bookings
Any bookings not covered by the preceding categories shall fall under this remit, to be coordinated via the WithUs team on a commercial basis with appropriate charges. Contact WithUS– 0114 222 8822 or email email@example.com
Terms and Conditions
- For all enquiries, an appropriate size of room will be selected for an agreed number of attendees of the event. Advice will be given when the booking is made as to an appropriate room and venue for the event or activity (See below for rooms and typical capacities)
- Provisional bookings will only be held for 10 working days, after which the room can be offered to alternative bookings. Final bookings will be confirmed with a ‘Kx’ reference number.
- We reserve the right to change the booked room to another location in exceptional circumstances – e.g. for health and safety purposes or essential needs of the business.
- We reserve the right to refuse future bookings if an individual/group persistently fails to show without advanced notice.
- Bookings will not be permitted if the following are considered to apply:
- That damage to the facility could be a consequence of the event
- The event has an inciteful political/religious motivation
- The event has content of a sensitive nature
- The event would contravene University policy
- The event would encourage inappropriate behaviour
- The event would involve the sale or consumption of alcohol, unless prior consent is given by the Bar Management
- The event does not meet Health and Safety requirements
- No external catering is allowed in any of the University of Sheffield venues
Cancellation of room bookings
- Should an event be cancelled by the organising party, the relevant room booking should be removed as soon as is practicable and with a minimum of 24 hours notice prior to the scheduled event time. Duty Leaders should be advised by email of such changes as part of the cancellation process. Implementation of cancellation is the responsibility of Residence Life, cUstomised or the Students’ Union events Coordinator, dependent on the origin of the booking.
- Deviation from the above will be deemed a “no-show”. Repeated “no-shows” may result in the right to book rooms being rescinded.
Health and safety
- The group or individual making the booking assumes responsibility for all Health and Safety aspects concerning the event (such as fire emergency procedures, risk assessments, conduct of attendees etc.) This shall be Residence Life for the purposes of Residence Life activities, the Events Coordinator for the purposes of Students’ Union Clubs and Societies, and WithUS for all other events.
- During the event, it is the responsibility of the person or persons in whose name the booking has been made to ensure that the conduct of attendees is appropriate for the venue. This includes managing noise levels within reason, and ensuring that the nature of activities is in accordance with University expectations, avoiding offensive or inflammatory content.
- Furniture/equipment must not be taken out of the rooms to be used elsewhere.
- Any child under the age of 16 years must be supervised by a responsible adult over 18 years. No children are allowed into licensed areas and must be supervised in toilets. It is the adult’s responsibility to ensure the safety and wellbeing of the child(ren) they are supervising.
- All locations must be vacated by 12 am midnight, with the exception of Stephenson Hall, which must be vacated by 11 p.m. Exceptions to this may only be made where it is in keeping with supporting the University strategy.
- The person or persons in whose name the booking has been made will assume full responsibility for the condition of the room. Failure to leave the room in an acceptable condition (including the removal of litter), damages/vandalism found following use or deviation from the room booking policy may result in a suspension or termination of room booking privileges for the responsible person and/or group. Charges will be made for any damages that can be attributed to a booking or wherever excessive clean-up is required.
Room capacities and availability
N.B. Please note the stated capacities cannot be exceeded under any circumstances.
The Edge, Endcliffe
High Tor rooms are available to book in term time only and are not available between the following dates due to reserved use by the with.us commercial team:
Christmas: 18 Dec 2021 - 16 Jan 2022
Easter: 02 Apr - 24 Apr 2022
Summer: 11 Jun - 18 Sept 2022
- High Tor 1 – Monday to Friday (6.30pm-12am) Saturday and Sunday (8am-12am) 200 Ideal for dance/fitness activities. Wooden floor, fixed AV, presentation screen and sound system.
- High Tor 2 - Monday to Friday (6.30pm-12am) Saturday and Sunday (8am-12am) 200 Ideal for dance/fitness activities. Wooden floor, fixed AV, presentation screen and sound system.
- High Tor 3 - Monday to Friday (6.30pm-12am) Saturday and Sunday (8am-12am) 50 Ideal for small-scale dance/fitness activities, lectures, seminars and meetings. Wooden floor, fixed AV, presentation screen and sound system.
- High Tor 4 - Monday to Friday (6.30pm-12am) Saturday and Sunday (8am-12am) 50 Ideal for small-scale dance/fitness activities, lectures, seminars and meetings. Wooden floor, fixed AV, presentation screen and sound system.
- Raven Tor - available for Residence Life bookings only. Residence Life bookings should be made in advance and notified to the Customer Service team.
- Edge Hub - Currently unavailable as reserved for study space
- IT Suite – No longer available – this room now houses the Residence piano which can be booked via Eventbrite (https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/steinway-pianos-tickets-146934590315.).
The Paddock (outdoor space, Endcliffe) - Available for Residence Life bookings only, with the exception of sports-related SU Clubs and Societies, at the discretion of Residence Life. NB: some Residential activities preclude the use of The Paddock e.g. moving in/out dates, wherein The Paddock is used for parking.
The Ridge, Ranmoor
- Dovedale - No longer available - now housing the Residence Gym
- Cheedale - No longer available - now acting as an IT suite
- Ridge Common Room - available for Residence Life bookings only.
- Monsal Dale - No longer available – this room now houses the Residence piano which can be booked via Eventbrite (https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/steinway-pianos-tickets-146934590315.).
Endcliffe Studio - Monday to Sunday (9am-10pm) 50 (seating unavailable). Suitable for dance/fitness activities. Wooden floor and carpeted area.
- Stephenson Main Hall (Activities Room) - Monday to Friday (6pm-10pm) Saturday and Sunday (8am-10pm) 100 Suitable for large presentations, dance/fitness activities, and one-off events. Piano, TV, Table Tennis available. No alcoholic drinks are to be brought into this room. Residence Life and SU clubs/societies only.
- Music Room - Monday to Friday (6.00pm-10pm) Saturday and Sunday (8am-10pm) 50 Suitable for small groups or music practice. Piano available. No alcoholic drinks are to be brought into this room - Currently unavailable for booking.
- Stephenson Lounge/Bar - Monday to Friday (6.00pm-10pm) Saturday and Sunday (8am10pm) 20 Suitable for small groups or music practice. Currently unavailable for booking.
For Jonas Hotel room bookings, please contact 0114 222 8816 (commercial use only).
No bookings will now be accepted at Customer Services. If any requests are received, they will be assigned to the relevant person/team as per the above guidelines. Commercial rates will apply.
A world top-100 university
We're a world top-100 university renowned for the excellence, impact and distinctiveness of our research-led learning and teaching.