Professor Robert F Harrison
Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering
Professor of Computational Data Modelling
+44 114 222 5139
Full contact details
Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering
Amy Johnson Building
I joined the Department as a Lecturer in 1987 by way of Oxford and Southampton universities with a brief sojourn at Harwell Laboratories. My original training was in acoustics and vibration but developed into control systems and then neural networks and machine learning to which I have devoted most of my professional attention.
I was promoted to Reader in Computational Data Modelling in 1998 following which I was elected by the Faculty of Engineering at Princeton University to a Visiting Fellowship in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering and to a Fellowship of Butler College. I am a member of the editorial boards of a number of international journals and have served on numerous technical committees of the International Federation of Automatic Control (IFAC) and professional groups of the Institution of Electrical Engineers (now IET). More recently I was elected to a Visiting Fellowship at James Cook University. On 1 January 2012, I was appointed to a Chair in Computational Data Modelling. I have acted twice as Head of Department, in 2008-09 and again in 20011-12, and, since 2014, have been Director of our Centre for Doctoral Training in Control & Systems Engineering.
Between April 2009 and April 2012, I acted as Director of Sheffield's Rail Innovation and Technology Centre (RITC), a research initiative funded by Network Rail and drawing on research strengths across the whole of the Engineering Faculty. The aim here was to bring new technologies to bear on the ageing infrastructure of Britain's railways.
I have delivered short courses on machine learning as far afield as Chongqing, where I am a visiting Professor, and Johannesburg, and have directed the Department's Master's Training Programme in Control Systems. Prior to this, I devised, implemented and directed two highly successful MSc Programmes by distance learning in Hong Kong and Singapore.
My research work has focused on the application of systems engineering methods in the biomedical life-sciences and some has won prizes and has been featured in the national press and broadcast media.
- Research interests
Computational Data Modelling
Neural networks; machine learning; kernel machines; support vector machines; generalised linear models; clustering; dimensionality reduction; pattern recognition; data visualisation; pattern classification; pattern discrimination; regression; function approximation; Bayesian analysis; Gaussian processes; system identification; Volterra series; polynomial models; NARX/NARMAX modelling; parsimony; sparsity control; covariate selection; model selection; structure detection; iterative majorization; majorize/minimize algorithms; minorize/maximize algorithms; kernel density estimation; missing/incomplete data problems; EM methods; extended Kalman filtering; unscented Kalman filtering; nonstationary random processes.
Clinical decision support; identification of acute coronary syndromes; chest pain diagnosis; prediction of treatment failure and complications in diabetes sufferers; trauma prognosis; space weather forecasting; geomagnetic storm prediction; analysis of thyroid function; analysis of biological pathways; tissue micro-array analysis; computational drug discovery; virtual screening; chronobiology; river catchment modelling; optimal therapy scheduling via non-linear optimal control; prognosis in complex technological systems e.g. gas turbine engine systems; meta-modelling of gas turbine engines.
- TransEnergy - a tool for energy storage optimization, peak power and energy consumption reduction in DC electric railway systems. Journal of Energy Storage, 30. View this article in WRRO
- Investigating Bayesian optimization for rail network optimization. International Journal of Rail Transportation. View this article in WRRO
- A rail network performance metric to capture passenger experience. Journal of Rail Transport Planning and Management. View this article in WRRO
- A methodology for robust multi-train trajectory planning under dwell-time and control-point uncertainty. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. Part F: Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit. View this article in WRRO
- Salivary cortisone to estimate cortisol exposure and sampling frequency required based on serum cortisol measurements. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. View this article in WRRO
- Use of salivary cortisol and cortisone in the high and low dose synacthen test. Clinical Endocrinology, 88(6), 772-778. View this article in WRRO
- Resetting the Abnormal Circadian Cortisol Rhythm in Adrenal Incidentaloma Patients With Mild Autonomous Cortisol Secretion. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, 102(9), 3461-3469. View this article in WRRO
- Using the NANA toolkit at home to predict older adults’ future depression. Journal of Affective Disorders. View this article in WRRO
- Multi-train trajectory optimisation to maximise rail network energy efficiency under travel-time constraints. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part F: Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit, 230(4), 1318-1335. View this article in WRRO
- Salivary Cortisone Reflects Cortisol Exposure Under Physiological Conditions and After Hydrocortisone. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, 101(4), 1469-1477. View this article in WRRO
- Gas turbine engine prognostics using Bayesian hierarchical models: A variational approach. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 70-71, 120-140.
- Prognostics of gas turbine engine: An integrated approach. Expert Systems with Applications, 42(22), 8472-8483.
- Hormonal circadian rhythms in patients with congenital adrenal hyperplasia: identifying optimal monitoring times and novel disease biomarkers. European Journal of Endocrinology, 173(6), 727-737. View this article in WRRO
- Bayesian Hierarchical Models for aerospace gas turbine engine prognostics. Expert Systems with Applications, 42(1), 539-553. View this article in WRRO
- Aerospace Gas Turbine Engine Prognostics using Bayesian Hierarchical Models.
- A New RBFNDDA-KNN Network and Its Application to Medical Pattern Classification, 71-82.
- Extending CSP to detect motor imagery in a four-class BCI. Journal of Information and Computational Science, 9(1), 143-151.
- Feature extraction of motor imagery in BCI with approximate entropy. Journal of Computational Information Systems, 8(6), 2485-2491.
- Recognition of ultra high frequency partial discharge signals using multi-scale features. IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, 19(4), 1412-1420.
- Extending CSP to detect motor imagery in a four-class BCI. Journal of Information and Computational Science, 9(1), 143-151.
- Much of the variation in breast pathology quality assurance data in the UK can be explained by the random order in which cases arrive at individual centres, but some true outliers do exist.. Histopathology, 59(4), 594-599.
- Grading in histopathology. Diagnostic Histopathology.
- A sparse multinomial probit model for classification. Pattern Analysis and Applications, 14(1), 47-55. View this article in WRRO
- Effect of the order of parameterisation in gradient learning for kernel methods. IET CONTROL THEORY A, 4(10), 2141-2151.
- A simple iterative algorithm for parsimonious binary kernel Fisher discrimination. PATTERN ANAL APPL, 13(1), 15-22. View this article in WRRO
- A sparse multinomial probit model for classification. Pattern Analysis and Applications, 1-9.
- Probabilistic classification of acute myocardial infarction from multiple cardiac markers. PATTERN ANAL APPL, 12(4), 321-333. View this article in WRRO
- Sparse multinomial kernel discriminant analysis (sMKDA). PATTERN RECOGN, 42(9), 1795-1802. View this article in WRRO
- Free triiodothyronine has a distinct circadian rhythm that is delayed but parallels thyrotropin levels.. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 93(6), 2300-2306.
- Automatic covariate selection in logistic models for chest pain diagnosis: a new approach.. Comput Methods Programs Biomed, 89(3), 301-312. View this article in WRRO
- Ownership and uses of human tissue: what are the opinions of surgical in-patients?. J Clin Pathol, 61(3), 322-326.
- Prostate cancer: a systems approach overview. Diagnostic Histopathology, 14(3), 122-133.
- Kernel based modelling of friction dynamics. MECH SYST SIGNAL PR, 22(1), 66-80.
- Relational visual cluster validity (RVCV). PATTERN RECOGN LETT, 28(15), 2071-2079. View this article in WRRO
- Practical estimation of Volterra filters of arbitrary degree. INT J CONTROL, 80(6), 908-918.
- Evaluation of machine-learning methods for ligand-based virtual screening.. J Comput Aided Mol Des, 21(1-3), 53-62. View this article in WRRO
- An automated pattern recognition system for the quantification of inflammatory cells in hepatitis-C-infected liver biopsies. IMAGE VISION COMPUT, 24(9), 1025-1038. View this article in WRRO
- Expression of receptor activator of nuclear factor kappabeta ligand (RANKL) and tumour necrosis factor related, apoptosis inducing ligand (TRAIL) in breast cancer, and their relations with osteoprotegerin, oestrogen receptor, and clinicopathological variables.. J Clin Pathol, 59(7), 716-720.
- Virtual screening using binary kernel discrimination: analysis of pesticide data.. J Chem Inf Model, 46(2), 471-477.
- Virtual screening using binary kernel discrimination: effect of noisy training data and the optimization of performance.. J Chem Inf Model, 46(2), 478-486.
- Identification of patients with evolving coronary syndromes by using statistical models with data from the time of presentation. HEART, 92(2), 183-189.
- Boosting the performance of the Fuzzy Min-Max Neural Network in pattern classification tasks. Advances in Soft Computing, 34, 373-387.
- Artificial neural network models for prediction of acute coronary syndromes using clinical data from the time of presentation.. Ann Emerg Med, 46(5), 431-439.
- Ligand-based virtual screening using binary kernel discrimination. MOL SIMULAT, 31(8), 597-604. View this article in WRRO
- Application of fuzzy ARTMAP and fuzzy c-means clustering to pattern classification with incomplete data. Neural Computing and Applications, 14(2), 104-113.
- The gradient iteration for approximation in reproducing kernel Hilbert spaces. IMA Journal of Mathematical Control and Information, 21(4), 359-376. View this article in WRRO
- Supporting decisions in clinical medicine: neural networks in lower gastrointestinal haemorrhage.. Lancet, 362(9392), 1250-1251.
- Adaptive kernel-based equalization for non-stationary digital communications channels. INT J SYST SCI, 34(12-13), 693-703.
- Online pattern classification with multiple neural network systems: An experimental study. IEEE T SYST MAN CY C, 33(2), 235-247.
- On Operating Strategies of the Fuzzy Artmap Neural Network: A Comparative Study.. International Journal of Computational Intelligence and Applications, 3, 23-43.
- Asymptotically optimal stabilising quadratic control of an inverted pendulum. IEE P-CONTR THEOR AP, 150(1), 7-16.
- Digital communications channel equalization using the Kernel Adaline. IEEE T COMMUN, 50(4), 571-576.
- Editorial: IJSS special issue on 'Support Vector and Kernel Methods'.. Int. J. Systems Science, 33, 713-714.
- Discriminant histological features in the diagnosis of chronic idiopathic inflammatory bowel disease: analysis of a large dataset by a novel data visualisation technique.. J Clin Pathol, 55(1), 51-57.
- A new method for sparsity control in support vector classification and regression. PATTERN RECOGN, 34(1), 111-125.
- Validation of a decision support system for the cytodiagnosis of fine needle aspirates of the breast using a prospectively collected dataset from multiple observers in a working clinical environment.. Cytopathology, 11(6), 503-512.
- A novel algorithmic approach to the integration of posterior knowledge into condition-monitoring systems. INT J SYST SCI, 31(9), 1157-1174.
- The Reduction of No Fault Found Incidents Using Weighted Posterior Knowledge Integration. IFAC Proceedings Volumes, 33(11), 495-498.
- Visualisation of biomedical datasets by use of growing cell structure networks: a novel diagnostic classification technique.. Lancet, 354(9189), 1518-1521.
- A kernel-based Adaline for function approximation.. Intell. Data Anal., 3, 307-313.
- A kernel-based Adaline for function approximation. Intelligent Data Analysis, 3(4), 307-313.
- Evaluation of a statistically derived decision tree for the cytodiagnosis of fine needle aspirates of the breast (FNAB).. Cytopathology, 9(3), 178-187.
- A decision support tool for the diagnosis of breast cancer based upon fuzzy ARTMAP. NEURAL COMPUT APPL, 7(2), 147-165.
- Can machines ever learn from their own mistakes?. MEAS CONTROL-UK, 30(10), 300-307.
- Application of autonomous neural network systems to medical pattern classification tasks. ARTIF INTELL MED, 11(3), 215-239.
- Image analysis of low magnification images of fine needle aspirates of the breast produces useful discrimination between benign and malignant cases.. Cytopathology, 8(4), 265-273.
- An Incremental Adaptive Network for On-line Supervised Learning and Probability Estimation.. Neural Netw, 10(5), 925-939.
- Modified Fuzzy ARTMAP Approaches Bayes Optimal Classification Rates: An Empirical Demonstration.. Neural Netw, 10(4), 755-774.
- An artificial neural network system for diagnosis of acute myocardial infarction (AMI) in the accident and emergency department: Evaluation and comparison with serum myoglobin measurements. COMPUT METH PROG BIO, 52(2), 93-103.
- Early diagnosis of acute myocardial infarction using clinical and electrocardiographic data at presentation: Derivation and evaluation of logistic regression models. EUR HEART J, 17(8), 1181-1191.
- Application of the fuzzy ARTMAP neural network model to medical pattern classification tasks.. Artif Intell Med, 8(4), 403-428.
- Neural networks and early diagnosis of myocardial infarction. The Lancet, 347(8998), 407-408.
- Introduction to neural networks.. Lancet, 346(8982), 1075-1079.
- A MODIFIED FUZZY ARTMAP ARCHITECTURE FOR THE APPROXIMATION OF NOISY MAPPINGS. NEURAL NETWORKS, 8(4), 619-641.
- OPTIMAL LQG REGULATION OF MULTI-AXLED VEHICLE SUSPENSION DYNAMICS. J SOUND VIB, 174(2), 239-247.
- OPTIMAL-CONTROL OF VEHICLE SUSPENSION DYNAMICS INCORPORATING FRONT-TO-REAR EXCITATION DELAYS - AN APPROXIMATE SOLUTION. J SOUND VIB, 168(2), 339-354.
- DO WE NEED COMPUTER-BASED DECISION SUPPORT FOR THE DIAGNOSIS OF ACUTE CHEST PAIN - DISCUSSION PAPER. J ROY SOC MED, 86(1), 31-34.
- SIMPLE OBJECT RECOGNITION BY NEURAL NETWORKS - APPLICATION OF THE HOUGH TRANSFORM. INT J CONTROL, 54(6), 1469-1476.
- COMPUTER-AIDED TEACHING PACKAGES. BRIT MED J, 303(6798), 366-366.
- Computer aided teaching packages . British Medical Journal, 303(6798), 366-367.
- EARLY DIAGNOSIS OF ACUTE MYOCARDIAL-INFARCTION. BRIT MED J, 301(6762), 1214-1214.
- EARLY DIAGNOSIS OF ACUTE MYOCARDIAL-INFARCTION (MI) - A NOVEL-APPROACH TO DECISION-MAKING USING NEURAL NETWORKS. CLIN SCI, 78(4), P24-P25.
- Can preceptrons find Lyapunov functions. An algorithmic approach to systems stability. IEE Conference Publication(313), 364-368.
- FURTHER RESULT ON PERFORMANCE DEGRADATION FOR NONLINEAR MULTIVARIABLE SYSTEMS. IEE PROC-D, 135(4), 326-328.
- STABILITY AND DYNAMIC PERFORMANCE BOUNDS FOR NONLINEAR MULTIVARIABLE SYSTEMS. IEE PROC-D, 134(2), 115-123.
- EVOLUTIONARY (FREQUENCY TIME) SPECTRAL-ANALYSIS OF THE RESPONSE OF VEHICLES MOVING ON ROUGH GROUND BY USING COVARIANCE EQUIVALENT MODELING. J SOUND VIB, 107(1), 29-38.
- NORMALITY, SCALING AND EIGENVALUE INCLUSION REGIONS. INT J CONTROL, 43(4), 1317-1335.
- APPROXIMATE, TIME DOMAIN, NONSTATIONARY ANALYSIS OF STOCHASTICALLY EXCITED, NONLINEAR-SYSTEMS WITH PARTICULAR REFERENCE TO THE MOTION OF VEHICLES ON ROUGH GROUND. J SOUND VIB, 105(3), 361-371.
- ANALYSIS OF THE NONSTATIONARY RESPONSE OF VEHICLES WITH MULTIPLE WHEELS. J DYN SYST-T ASME, 108(1), 69-73.
- A SYSTEMS-APPROACH TO THE CHARACTERIZATION OF ROUGH GROUND. J SOUND VIB, 99(3), 437-447.
- A NOTE ON THE MODELING OF NON-STATIONARY RANDOM-EXCITATION PROCESSES WITH REFERENCE TO A RECENT PAPER. J SOUND VIB, 94(4), 587-589.
- Nonstationary Response of Vehicles on Rough Ground—A State Space Approach. Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, 103(3), 245-250.
- NONSTATIONARY RESPONSE OF VEHICLES ON ROUGH GROUND - A STATE-SPACE APPROACH. J DYN SYST-T ASME, 103(3), 245-250.
- Enhancing immune system response through optimal control (pp. 431-444).
- Which Decision Support Technologies are Appropriate for the Cytodiagnosis of Breast Cancer?, Series in Machine Perception and Artificial Intelligence (pp. 265-295). WORLD SCIENTIFIC
- Art-Based Autonomous Learning Systems: Part I — Architectures and Algorithms, Innovations in ART Neural Networks (pp. 133-166). Physica-Verlag HD
- Application of an Adaptive Hybrid Neural Network to Medical Diagnosis, The State of the Art in Computational Intelligence (pp. 329-336). Physica-Verlag HD
- Intelligent Decision Support Systems in the Cytodiagnosis of Breast Carcinoma, Perspectives in Neural Computing (pp. 213-231). Springer London
- Art-Based Autonomous Learning Systems: Part II — Applications, Innovations in ART Neural Networks (pp. 167-188). Physica-Verlag HD
- A Connectionist Aid to the Early Diagnosis of Myocardial Infarction, AIME 91 (pp. 119-128). Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Covariance equivalent forms and evolutionary spectra for nonstationary random processes, Analysis and Optimization of Systems (pp. 1-14). Springer-Verlag
Conference proceedings papers
- The Growing Hierarchical Self-Organizing Map (GHSOM) for analysing multi-dimensional stream habitat datasets. 18th World IMACS Congress and MODSIM 2009 - International Congress on Modelling and Simulation: Interfacing Modelling and Simulation with Mathematical and Computational Sciences, Proceedings (pp 734-740)
- RateSetter. Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference
- Technology for Early Detection of Depression and Anxiety in Older People. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics, Vol. 242 (pp 374-380)
- SERUM CORTISOL AND SALIVARY CORTISONE AND FREQUENCY OF SAMPLING TO ESTIMATE CORTISOL EXPOSURE. HORMONE RESEARCH IN PAEDIATRICS, Vol. 88 (pp 53-54)
- Maximising passenger satisfaction through optimised train movements. Institution of Mechanical Engineers - Stephenson Conference: Research for Railways 2017 (pp 181-192)
- Lean burn combustion monitoring strategy based on data modelling. 2016 IEEE Aerospace Conference. Big Sky, MT, USA, 5 March 2016 - 12 March 2016. View this article in WRRO
- An algorithm for Morphological classification of motile human sperm. 2015 Sensor Data Fusion: Trends, Solutions, Applications (SDF), 6 October 2015 - 8 October 2015. View this article in WRRO
- Robust multi-train trajectory optimisation for real world conditions using a 'noisy' genetic algorithm. Stephenson Conference Research for Railways 2015, Vol. 2015-April (pp 515-527)
- Fusing an ensemble of diverse prognostic life predictions. 2014 IEEE Aerospace Conference, 1 March 2014 - 8 March 2014.
- Accommodating repair actions into gas turbine prognostics. PHM 2013 - Proceedings of the Annual Conference of the Prognostics and Health Management Society 2013 (pp 66-73)
- Bayesian framework for aerospace gas turbine engine prognostics. Proceedings of the 34th IEEE Aerospace Conference (pp 1-8)
- Energy harvesting for remote condition monitoring. 5th IET Conference on Railway Condition Monitoring and Non-Destructive Testing (RCM 2011)
- Energy harvesting for remote condition monitoring. Fifth IET Conference on Railway Condition Monitoring and Non-destructive Testing (pp 127-132). Derby
- View this article in WRRO Towards enhanced prognostics with advanced data-driven modelling. Proceedings of the Eighth International Conference on Condition Monitoring and Machinery Failure Prevention Technologies
- A multi-class pattern recognition method for motor imagery EEG data. Conference Proceedings - IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics (pp 7-12)
- A fast automatic construction algorithm for kernel Fisher discriminant classifiers. Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Decision and Control (pp 2825-2830)
- The Growing Hierarchical Self-Organizing Map (GHSOM) for analysing multi-dimensional stream habitat datasets. 18TH WORLD IMACS CONGRESS AND MODSIM09 INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS ON MODELLING AND SIMULATION (pp 734-740)
stindex prediction using joint and dual unscented Kalman filter. Proceedings of the IASTED International Conference on Applied Simulation and Modelling, ASM 2009 (pp 30-36)
- Estimation of parsimonious discrete Volterra series. IFAC Proceedings Volumes (IFAC-PapersOnline), Vol. 7(PART 1) (pp 776-781)
- Asymptotically optimal nonlinear filtering. IFAC Proceedings Volumes (IFAC-PapersOnline), Vol. 17(PART 1) (pp 756-761)
- Parsimonious kernel Fisher discrimination. Pattern Recognition and Image Analysis, Pt 1, Proceedings, Vol. 4477 (pp 531-538)
- APPLICATION OF A KERNEL METHOD IN MODELING FRICTION DYNAMICS. IFAC Proceedings Volumes, Vol. 38(1) (pp 698-703)
- Gradient based methods: Functional vs parametric forms. IFAC Proceedings Volumes (IFAC-PapersOnline), Vol. 16 (pp 704-709)
- Identification of infinite degree Volterra series in the time and frequency domains. IFAC Proceedings Volumes (IFAC-PapersOnline), Vol. 16 (pp 779-784)
- Modeling of power amplifier nonlinearities using Volterra series. IFAC Proceedings Volumes (IFAC-PapersOnline), Vol. 16 (pp 785-790)
- Non-stationary channel equalisation via adaptive kernel-based filtering. INTELLIGENT CONTROL SYSTEMS AND SIGNAL PROCESSING 2003 (pp 505-510)
- Function estimation in Hilbert space using sequential projections. INTELLIGENT CONTROL SYSTEMS AND SIGNAL PROCESSING 2003 (pp 105-110)
- Estimating Volterra felters in Helbert space. INTELLIGENT CONTROL SYSTEMS AND SIGNAL PROCESSING 2003 (pp 499-504)
- An ART-based hybrid network for medical pattern classification tasks with missing data. KNOWLEDGE-BASED INTELLIGNET INFORMATION AND ENGINEERING SYSTEMS, PT 2, PROCEEDINGS, Vol. 2774 (pp 7-15)
- A NEW SOLUTION TO VOLTERRA SERIES ESTIMATION. IFAC Proceedings Volumes, Vol. 35(1) (pp 67-72)
- ITERATIVE SOLUTION TO APPROXIMATION IN REPRODUCING KERNEL HILBERT SPACES. IFAC Proceedings Volumes, Vol. 35(1) (pp 103-108) View this article in WRRO
- On sparse interpolation in reproducing kernel Hilbert spaces. PROCEEDING OF THE 2002 INTERNATIONAL JOINT CONFERENCE ON NEURAL NETWORKS, VOLS 1-3 (pp 1962-1967)
- A kernel-based technique for forecasting geomagnetic activity and prediction of D-st. ADVANCES IN GLOBAL MAGNETOSPHERIC STRUCTURE, DYNAMICS, AND REGION COUPLING, PROCEEDINGS, Vol. 30(10) (pp 2181-2188)
- The application of non-linear filtering methods to the forecast of geomagnetic indices. SOLAR-TERRESTRIAL MAGNETIC ACTIVITY AND SPACE ENVIRONMENT, Vol. 14 (pp 427-437)
- The application of an adaptive non-linear systems identification technique to the on-line forecast of D-st index. SHEFFIELD SPACE PLASMA MEETING: MULTIPOINT MEASUREMENT VERSUS THEORY, PROCEEDINGS, Vol. 492 (pp 141-146)
- Experimental study of original and ordered fuzzy ARTMAP neural networks in pattern classification tasks. IEEE Region 10 Annual International Conference, Proceedings/TENCON, Vol. 2
- Identifying discriminant features in the histopathology diagnosis of inflammatory bowel disease using a novel variant of the growing cell structure network technique. ARTIFICIAL NEURAL NETWORKS IN MEDICINE AND BIOLOGY (pp 168-173)
- Support vector regression and NARMAX system identification. 1999 European Control Conference (ECC), 31 August 1999 - 3 September 1999.
- Combination of decisions from a multiple neural network classifier system.. KES (pp 191-194)
- A kernel based adaline.. ESANN (pp 245-250)
- An efficient formulation of sparsity controlled support vector regression.. ESANN (pp 207-212)
- Automatic mitotic index estimation for the prognostication of breast cancer from histology images. IEE Colloquium Intelligent Methods in Healthcare and Medical Applications
- Non-linear stabilisation and regulation via an optimal gain schedule. IEE Colloquium (Digest)(521)
- Integrated data visualisation and classification using growing cell structure neural networks applied to the diagnosis of breast cancer. IEE Colloquium (Digest)(514)
- Towards real-time, non-linear quadratic optimal regulation. ALGORITHMS AND ARCHITECTURES FOR REAL-TIME CONTROL 1998 (AARTC'98) (pp 89-94)
- Making the distinction between Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis by histopathological examination: A comparison of human performance, logistic regression and adaptive resonance theory mapping neural networks (ARTMAP). PROCEEDING OF THE THIRD INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON NEURAL NETWORKS AND EXPERT SYSTEMS IN MEDICINE AND HEALTHCARE (pp 116-124)
- A novel approach to the integration of posterior knowledge into condition monitoring systems: Theory and practice.. UKACC INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON CONTROL '98, VOLS I&II (pp 1492-1497)
- A new non-linear design method for active vehicle suspension systems. INTELLIGENT COMPONENTS FOR VEHICLES (pp 365-370)
- Support Vector Machines for system identification. UKACC INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON CONTROL '98, VOLS I&II (pp 688-692)
- Estimation of Bayesian a posteriori probabilities with an autonomously learning neural network. IEE Conference Publication(427 /1) (pp 199-204)
- Detection of brain conditions from evoked responses using artificial neural networks. IEE Colloquium (Digest)(100)
- Self-organising adaptive neurocontroller using reinforcement learning. IEE Conference Publication(427 /2) (pp 1113-1118)
- From the laboratory to casualty: Neural networks in the management of chest pain. NEURAL NETWORKS - PRODUCING DEPENDABLE SYSTEMS, CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS, Vol. 95(973) (pp 31-39)
- Probabilistic fuzzy artmap: An autonomous neural network architecture for Bayesian probability estimation. IEE Conference Publication(409) (pp 148-153)
- A prototype neural network decision-support tool for the early diagnosis of acute myocardial infarction. ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE IN MEDICINE, Vol. 934 (pp 355-366)
- The use of fuzzy ARTMAP to identify low risk coronary care patients. ARTIFICIAL NEURAL NETS AND GENETIC ALGORITHMS (pp 511-514)
- Minimal error rate classification in a non-stationary environment via a modified fuzzy ARTMAP network. ARTIFICIAL NEURAL NETS AND GENETIC ALGORITHMS (pp 503-506)
- Evaluating a neural network decision-support tool for the diagnosis of breast cancer. ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE IN MEDICINE, Vol. 934 (pp 239-250)
- A neural network decision-support tool for the diagnosis of breast cancer. HYBRID PROBLEMS, HYBRID SOLUTIONS, Vol. 27 (pp 51-60)
- A heuristic for general rule extraction from a multilayer perceptron. HYBRID PROBLEMS, HYBRID SOLUTIONS, Vol. 27 (pp 133-144)
- GR2 - A hybrid knowledge-based system using general rules. IJCAI-95 - PROCEEDINGS OF THE FOURTEENTH INTERNATIONAL JOINT CONFERENCE ON ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE, VOLS 1 AND 2 (pp 488-493)
- Minimum-risk decisions in the management of suspected heart attack: an application of the Boltzmann perceptron network. Applications of Artificial Neural Networks III
- Optimization and training of feedforward neural networks by genetic algorithms. IEE Conference Publication(349) (pp 39-43)
- Neural classification of chest pain symptoms. A comparative study. IEE Conference Publication(349) (pp 200-204)
- RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN WIGNER-VILLE AND EVOLUTIONARY SPECTRA FOR FREQUENCY MODULATED RANDOM PROCESSES.. ICASSP, IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing - Proceedings (pp 2327-2330)
- WIGNER-VILLE AND EVOLUTIONARY SPECTRA FOR COVARIANCE EQUIVALENT NONSTATIONARY RANDOM PROCESSES.. ICASSP, IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing - Proceedings (pp 1025-1028)
- STATE SPACE APPROACH TO THE ANALYSIS OF NONSTATIONARY, NONLINEAR RANDOM VIBRATION WITH PARTICULAR APPLICATION TO THE PROBLEM OF VEHICLES ON ROUGH GROUND., Vol. 2 (pp 673-680)
- MODELLING AND DECONVOLUTION OF NONSTATIONARY ACOUSTIC SIGNALS FROM MOVING SOURCES USING A COVARIANCE EQUIVALENT FORMULATION.. ICASSP, IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing - Proceedings, Vol. 2
- RESPONSE OF DYNAMICAL SYSTEMS TO NONSTATIONARY RANDOM PROCESSES HAVING A FREQUENCY MODULATED FORM, WITH APPLICATIONS TO VEHICLE MOTION AND STRUCTURAL VIBRATION.. Mecanique, materiaux, electricite(404) (pp 74-76)
- EVOLUTIONARY SPECTRAL DENSITY MODELS FOR RANDOM PROCESSES HAVING A FREQUENCY MODULATED STRUCTURE.. ICASSP, IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing - Proceedings, Vol. 1 (pp 261-264)
- NONSTATIONARY RESPONSE OF VEHICLES ON ROUGH GROUND - A STATE SPACE APPROACH.. American Society of Mechanical Engineers (Paper)(80 -WA/DSC-22)
- NONSTATIONARY RESPONSE OF VEHICLES ON ROUGH GROUND - A STATE SPACE APPROACH.. American Society of Mechanical Engineers (Paper)(80 -WA/DSC-22)
- The early diagnosis of heart attacks: a neurocomputational approach. IJCNN-91-Seattle International Joint Conference on Neural Networks
- Theory of Neural Information Processing Systems by A. Coolen, R. Kühn and P. Sollich: OUP, Oxford, 2005.. IMA J. Math. Control & Information, 23, 515-516.
Siemens plc, P Richmond, D I Fletcher, R F Harrison, 'S2AM Sheffield Siemens Advanced Multi-Modal Transport Demonstrator: Phase II’ (2017), £87,000
RSSB, D I Fletcher, P Richmond, R F Harrison, 'Ratesetter: Improving Passenger Boarding Rate And Reducing Risk At The Platform-Train Interface’ (2017–18), £124,000
Western Park Hospital Cancer Charity, V Parker, A A Pacey, R F Harrison, PR Heath, 'Predicting disease relapse and failure of primary chemotherapy in patients with Gestational Trophoblastic Neoplasia’, (2016–2019), £200,000
EPSRC, D A Stone, M P Foster, D Gladwin, D I Fletcher, S C Koh, R F Harrison et al., 'TransEnergy – Road to Rail Energy Exchange (R2REE)', (2016 - 2019), £1.5M
Rolls-Royce plc, A R Mills, RF Harrison, V Kadirkamanathan, 'Lean burn', (2016-2016), £44,031
TSB, A R Mills, V Kadirkamanathan, J Liu, R F Harrison, ' PreDICT', (2014-2017), £215,000
DEFRA, D A Lerner, P R Bibby, R F Harrison, 'Validation of trading estate runoff analysis', (2013-2015), £150,000
EPSRC/Network Rail, M Gilbert, CC Smith, RF Harrison, `Ultimate & permissible limit state behaviour of soil-filled masonry arch bridges´, (2011-2015), £468,000
Network Rail/TSB, HA Thompson, RF Harrison, `Energy harvesting and wireless sensors for remote condition monitoring of railway infrastructure´, (2010-2012), £160,000
Network Rail, R F Harrison, Establishment of a Rail Innovation and Technology Centre, (2009-2014), £400,000
Sheffield Hospitals Charitable Trust, Dr S S Cross (Genomic Medicine) R F Harrison, `Expression of cell adhesion molecules, matrix metalloproteinases and cell cycle regulator proteins in carcinoma of the oesophagus using Tissue Micro Arrays´, (2003—2005), £9,000
EPSRC, R F Harrison `A new approach to non-linear adaptive filtering´, (2001—2003), £86,000
DTI, R F Harrison, P J Fleming, N Mort, S Bennett, `Extension to Control Technology Transfer Network (CTTnet)´, (1998—2000), £150,000
EPSRC, R F Harrison, Rolls-Royce plc, `The inclusion of posterior knowledge in fault diagnosis´, (1995—1999), £324,000
SERC, R F Harrison, R L Kennedy (Medicine, Edinburgh), `Artificial neural networks in clinical decision support´, (1993—1996), £113,000
SERC, R F Harrison, R L Kennedy (Medicine, Edinburgh), `Neural network-based decision support systems which learn in real-time, non-stationary environments´, (1993—1996), £107,000
Scottish Office, R F Harrison, R L Kennedy (Medicine, Edinburgh), `Development of strategies for management of acute ischaemic heart disease´, (1993—1995), £116,000
Altim Medical Systems Ltd, R F Harrison, R L Kennedy (Medicine, Edinburgh) `Development of a diagnostic aid for heart attack´, (1992—1995), £95,000
- Teaching activities
- ACS6427 Data Modelling and Machine Intelligence
- Professional activities
- Member IFAC Technical Committee on Fuzzy and Neural Systems (1996—2003) and on Robust Control and Non-linear Control (both 2003—2006)
- Member IFAC TCs on Cognition and Control (2003 on) and Modelling and Control of Biomedical Systems (2006 on)
- Consulting Editor for the International Journal of Systems Science (2000 on), and member of the editorial boards of the International Journal of Hybrid Intelligent Systems (2003 - 2009) and the International Journal on Knowledge Based Intelligent Engineering Systems (2004 - 2010)
- Professional short courses: University of the Witwatersrand (1996 & 1998); Chongqing University (2008 – 2010)
- Industrial collaboration/consultancy: AERE, Harwell; UKAEA, Culcheth; Rolls-Royce; Corus; Astra Zeneca; GlaxoSmithKline; Pfizer; Anadigm; Altim Medical Systems; DRTS; NCAPSA; iPlas; Scottish Water; Environment Agency; Atkins plc; Network Rail; Diurnal; NHS.
- Numerous invited talks both nationally and internationally, including the University of the Witwatersrand, UNAM (Mexico), Princeton University (USA), MIT (USA), IIT Kanpur (India), Chongqing University (China)