The Diamond and Jessop West (Leavygreave Road East)
Use our interactive map to help you find the best way around the campus.
Sign up for our weekly email updates.
The area around Leavygreave Road East will form a new social hub for students, staff and the general public. Leavygreave Road East, parts of Gell and Victoria Streets, and Portobello will be pedestrianised making it safer for everyone.
The area will become cycle-friendly and there will be seating and public art to create an enjoyable outdoor environment which will be full of life. New trees and plants will improve bio-diversity as well as creating a great look and feel in the surrounding area.
Along with these improvements, Blackwells bookshop has moved to a new home in the Jessop West building, the new Henderson's pub will be opening soon and there are plans for a cycle hub to make it easier for people to use their bikes around the campus.
Jessop Plaza will be home to a new piece of public art which includes seating,trees, plants and grass to create a vibrant new social space.
- All surfacing work will be completed in November
- 38 new trees will be planted around campus when paving work has been completed
- Outside the former Henderson's Relish site we have been able to reopen a large area of paving to improve connectivity around campus
- Leavygreave Road East is closed - you can no longer access Leavygreave Road from Upper Hanover Street
- Leavygreave Road East will be open to cyclists and pedestrians only from Monday - Friday, 9.30am - 5.30pm, between Upper Hanover Street and Regent Terrace
- Vehicles will only be able to access this area outside the restricted times, with the exception of blue badge permit holders and emergency vehicles
- At the bottom end of the contractor compound excavation work has started and the boundary fencing has been removed
- St. George's Terrace, Regent Street and Regent Terrace have reopened for vehicles, temporary give way signs and cones are in place to help distinguish between road/paving
- Permanent signage will be installed across this area once the work is completed
- Paving at the top of Victoria Street will be completed over the next few weeks
- Pedestrian access along all the roads will be maintained at all times - footpaths will be closed in sections
- Work to install some new public art between the Diamond Building and Jessop West buildings has been completed - seating has now been installed and boundary fencing has been removed