Symptoms, testing and self-isolation

If you're self-isolating for any reason, or if you have symptoms, please tell the University.



Complete the online Covid-19 form

  • You must complete the form when you begin self-isolating, even if you don't have symptoms – for example, if you've been identified as a contact and asked to self-isolate by NHS track and trace or if someone in your household has symptoms and is waiting for test results.
  • If you develop symptoms while self-isolating, please complete the form again.

Once you've completed the online form, the University will contact you to offer support. We're offering daily welfare check-ins for all students who are self-isolating, to make sure you receive the support you need. 


    Notify your line manager as soon as possible.

    Full step-by-step guidance for individuals, line managers and faculties/departments can be found on our managing a suspected or confirmed case of Covid-19 protocol.

    What to do if you have symptoms

    1. Stay at home and self-isolate if you have:

    • a high temperature
    • a new, continuous cough
    • a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste

    NHS guidance on self-isolating

    2. Book an NHS test straight away to check if you have coronavirus, however mild your symptoms

    Tests are free. If you are a student, give your term-time address.

    Get a free PCR test online on GOV.UK. Call 119 if you don't have internet access.

    If you are a student on a clinical placement, your academic department may advise you on alternative arrangements for testing.

    Please don't get a test at our Covid-19 Testing Centre. This test centre is only available to University of Sheffield students and staff who are not showing any Covid-19 symptoms.

    3. Inform the University that you have symptoms, or if you are isolating

    This will enable us to monitor for positive Covid-19 cases for track and trace purposes, and provide you with any support you may need.

    Who can't get a free PCR test

    You can't get a free NHS test (also known as a PCR test) unless you have symptoms, or you've been asked to by your local council, or you've been told to by your hospital, or you're taking part in a government pilot project. This applies even if: 

    • you live with someone who has coronavirus
    • you’ve had close contact with someone who has coronavirus
    • you’ve come to the UK from a high risk country
    • you’re planning to leave the country

    If you develop symptoms, you should only then order a PCR test. 

    Support – get in touch

    Our extensive range of support services for students are all available online.