Support and contacts for students

We’re continuing to provide an extensive range of support services. All our student support services are accessible online, with limited physical access to ensure social distancing can be maintained.


Support for students with caring responsibilities

Juggling childcare, homeschooling and other caring responsibilities can be challenging alongside your studies and we recognise that this may have an impact on your academic life during the pandemic.

Postgraduate student support groups

The Parent-PGR network aims to bring together postgraduate researchers who are also parents, or about to be parents, or who are thinking about becoming parents.

Peer support

We understand the value of having support from people navigating similar circumstances to your own, and there are two facebook groups you may find useful:

Students' Union Facebook group for students with childcare responsibilities

Students' Union Facebook group for mature students


Student Services Information Desk

SSiD is a key student service, answering a wide range of enquiries every day. We also aim to provide a comprehensive referral service in the very small number of cases where we are unable to assist directly.

Contact SSiD (University login required)

Student Mental Health, Counselling and Therapies Service

Student Mental Health, Counselling and Therapies Service (University login required)

The Student Advice Centre provides information on a number of topics as well as self-help guides on their website.

For further advice, email You will be contacted with information or offered a telephone appointment.

Student Administration Service

The Student Administration Service covers a wide area of student administration functions, including registration, tuition fees, examinations, complaints and appeals, and student progress, records and results.

The best way to ask us a question is to complete our online enquiry form. This helps us to direct your enquiry to the right person.

Student Administration Service Enquiry Form

If you are unable to complete our enquiry form, please call us. Please be advised that because of COVID-19-related restrictions, we are not able to operate our phone lines at full capacity. If you plan to call us, please ensure that your enquiry is urgent.

Student Administration Service contact details

Student welfare support

Our Student Welfare team (students only link) continues to be available to provide support and advice if you're experiencing personal difficulties that are impacting on your University experience and ability to study.

Please email

International Student Support

The International Student Support team will continue to be available to support students through email, Google Chat and Skype. International students can book appointments for Visa Extension and Advice. Please send queries to

Global Campus activities have been suspended until further notice. We're moving towards alternative options such as hosting virtual meetings online. More information will be posted on the Global Campus webpage in the coming days.

Financial Support

If you are experiencing additional costs or loss of income as a result of the coronavirus situation you may want to apply for financial support from the University.

Further information and how to apply for financial support

The team are currently working remotely and can be contacted by email:

Further information can be found on the Financial Support Coronavirus FAQ web page.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a monthly payment from the government to help with your living costs. You may be eligible if you’re on a low income or out of work.

You cannot usually get Universal Credit if you’re studying full-time, but there are some exceptions in certain circumstances.

You can find out if you are eligible to claim on the Universal Credit web pages. Read the information there carefully before submitting any application.

The benefits system is under unprecedented pressue at the moment, please do not put in an application unless you are sure you are eligible, so they can concentrate their efforts to helping those most in need.

Careers Service

The Careers Service (including the Student Jobshop) is operating its services remotely. Students can book a phone call or Google Meet appointment via Career Connect which you can access via MUSE.

Workshops and other events, including employer events are now being delivered online and details are available on Career Connect also.

The Career's Service can also advise if you have questions about an upcoming placement, or graduate job offer and you are unsure what happens next in the current situation. Information and advice is available at our Career's webpages or you can email

301: Academic Skills Centre

Support to help you study remotely including online 1:1 Study Skills and Maths and Statistics appointments and a range of online resources. 

301: Academic Skills Centre

Online Writing Advisory Service

The English Language Teaching Centre (ELTC) have set up an Online Writing Advisory Service where you can submit a piece of your writing online for a tutor to comment on and return.

To to book an appointment slot please use the booking form on the Writing Advisory Service webpage.


The Chaplaincy Centre is open via webchat, email, phone calls and online support groups. Our main email address is:

Chaplaincy Centre

Disability and Dyslexia Support Service

Disability & Dyslexia Support Service (DDSS) is continuing to offer support to students using telephone, email and Google Chat. It is currently closed for face-to-face queries.

Disability & Dyslexia Support Service support

University Health Service

The University Health Service will continue to provide a mix of video and phone consultations, as well as face to face appointments where clinically required. We have implemented arrangements for keeping both patients and staff safe, including restricting access to the practice. In line with Sheffield-wide practice, patients will be screened prior to face to face appointments and may be directed to other GP practices where covid-19 symptoms are present.

University Health Service

Student Wellbeing Service

The Student Wellbeing Service is available to all registered students at any level of study including part-time, lifelong learning and distance learning students.

We offer short-term, tailored one-to-one support if you’re feeling down, overwhelmed or struggling to adjust to student life.

Access the Student Wellbeing Service

Support for students with caring responsibilities 

We are supportive of students with caring responsibilities. To access this support, please email:

If you feel your learning or assessments have, or may be, affected by caring responsibilities, please complete an extenuating circumstances form with your department. This will be considered sympathetically to mitigate the impact of your caring responsibilities on your studies.


Residence Life are offering daily support / well-being checks (usually by telephone) to any resident student who requests this service, not just those self isolating.

To opt into this service please contact giving your name, University address and a UK contact telephone number. If you subsequently change your mind and wish to opt out of these daily checks, please contact us at the same address.

Frauds and scams

Students are reminded to be vigilant about all potential fraud related to COVID-19 and be wary of social media ads, texts or calls. You should not share any personal information or make payment over the phone, WeChat or online unless you have verified that they are a legitimate company.

A global reputation

Sheffield is a research university with a global reputation for excellence. We're a member of the Russell Group: one of the 24 leading UK universities for research and teaching.