Professor Kalina Bontcheva is working on NLP for social media, semantic search, GATE, crowdsourcing of NLP corpora, and collaborative text annotation. She is demos co-chair at ACL'2014 and helped co-organise the biannual conference "Recent Advances in Natural Language Processing".
Professor Bontcheva led the PHEME EU project on computing veracity of social media content. She is also the PI of the TrendMiner and DecarboNet European projects, and a Co-I of the uComp project. Earlier in 2013 she completed leading the JISC-funded EnviLOD project. Between 2006 and 2009 she was the Principal Investigator (PI) on 3 EU-funded projects (MUSING, TAO, and ServiceFinder) and the co-ordinator of the TAO consortium, which involved 7 partner institutions.
Between 2004 and 2006 Professor Bontcheva was Sheffield's technical project manager and researcher on the SEKT Integrated Project. Before that, she was Sheffield's technical manager and researcher on the MIAKT e-science project and also contributed to the AKT project. She has been working on Sheffield's GATE open-source NLP infrastructure since 1999.
- ELG: European Language Grid, EU H2020, 01/2019 - 12/2021, £656,631, as PI
- RISIS2: European Research Infrastructure for Science, technology and Innovation policy Studies 2, EU H2020, 01/2019 - 12/2022, £476,741, as co-PI
- WeVerify: Wider and Enhanced VERIFication for You, EC H2020, 12/18 to 11/21, £403,577, as PI
- Journalist-in-the-Loop Machine Learning as a Service for Rumour Analysis, Google, 11/2018 to 12/2019, £44,642, as PI
- Automatic Detection of Online Misinformation, Google, 03/2018 to 02/2019, £43,077, as PI
- SoBigData Research Infrastructure, EC H2020, 09/2015 to 08/2019, £649,690, as Co-PI
- COMRADES: Collective Platform for Community Resilience and Social Innovation during Crises, EC H2020, 01/2016 to 12/2018, £257,000, as PI
- OpenMinTed: Open Mining INfrastructure for TExt and Data, EC H2020, 06/2015 to 05/2018, £418,388, as Co-PI
- Individual Profiling through Text Analysis, Air Force Office of Scientific Research USA, 09/2014 to 09/2015, £10,746, as Co-PI
- PHEME: Computing Veracity Across Media, Languages, and Social Networks, EC FP7, 10/2013 to 12/2016, £489,421, as PI
- DecarboNET: A Decarbonisation Platform for Citizen Empowerment and Translating Collective Awareness into Behavioural Change, EC FP7, 10/2013 to 09/2016, £253,753, as PI
- AnnoMarket: Annotation Resource Marketplace in the Cloud, EC FP7, 06/2012 to 05/2014, £394,226, as Co-PI
- Linked Data for Environmental Science, Joint Information Systems Committee, 06/2012 to 01/2013, £40,234, as PI
- TrendMiner - Large-scale, EC FP7, 11/2011 to 10/2014, £400,991, as PI
- GATE Cloud Exploratory: Adapting the General Architecture for Text Engineering to Cloud Computing, EPSRC, 02/2011 to 10/2011, £71,677, as Co-PI
- Machine Learning Methods for Personalised, Abstractive Summarisation of Consumer-Generated Media., EPSRC, 10/2010 to 05/2018, £591,755, as PI
- ServiceFinder: Realizing Web Service Discovery at Web Scale, EC FP7, 01/2008 to 12/2009, £206,407, as PI
- MUSING: Multi-industry, EC FP6, 04/2006 to 04/2010, £776,082, as PI
- TAO: Transitioning Applications to Ontologies, EC FP6, 03/2006 to 02/2009, £581,515, as PI