Dr Prosanta Gope
Department of Computer Science
Lecturer in Cybersecurity
PGR Admissions Tutor
Member of the Security of Advanced Systems research group
+44 114 222 1897
Full contact details
Department of Computer Science
Regent Court (DCS)
Dr Prosanta Gope is currently working as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Science (Cyber Security) at the University of Sheffield, UK. Dr Gope served as a Research Fellow in the Department of Computer Science at the National University of Singapore (NUS). Primarily driven by tackling challenging real-world security problems, he has expertise in lightweight authentication, authenticated encryption, access control, security of mobile communications, healthcare, Internet of Things, Cloud, RFIDs, WSNs, Smart-Grid and IoT Hardware. He has authored more than 100 peer-reviewed articles in several reputable international journals and conferences and has four filed patents. Several of his papers have been published in high-impact journals such as IEEE TIFS, IEEE TDSC, IEEE TIE, IEEE TSG, etc. Dr Gope has served as TPC/Co-Chair member in several reputable international conferences such as IEEE TrustCom, IEEE GLOBECOM(Security-Track), ARES, ESORICS, etc. He currently serves as an Associate Editor of the IEEE Internet of Things Journal, IEEE Systems Journal, IEEE Sensors Journal, and the Journal of Information Security and Applications (Elsevier).
- Research interests
Lightweight and Anonymous Authentication Protocol Design
Security and Privacy in Internet of Things
Security and Privacy in Mobile Communication
WSN and RFID Security
Security and Privacy in Smart-Grid
Hardware Security of the IoT Devices
5G and Next Generation Communication Security
Decentralised Communication Security (D2D Communication Security, Machine-type Communication Security)
Security and Privacy in Tactile-Internet-based Applications
Machine-learning or Modelling Attacks on Physically Unclonable Functions
- A Security-enabled Safety Assurance Framework for IoT-based Smart Homes. IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, PP(99), 1-1.
- Data Anonymization Evaluation for Big Data and IoT Environment. Information Sciences.
- CB-DA : lightweight and escrow-free certificate-based data aggregation for smart grid. IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing.
- An ultra-lightweight data-aggregation scheme with deep learning security for smart grid. IEEE Wireless Communications, 29(2), 30-36.
- ABCAttack : a gradient-free optimization black-box attack for fooling deep image classifiers. Entropy, 24(3).
- Edge-based Collaborative Training System for Artificial Intelligence-of-Things. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, 1-1.
- An AI-Driven Secure and Intelligent Robotic Delivery System. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management.
- Consensus Adversarial Defense Method Based on Augmented Examples. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics.
- A comparative study of design paradigms for PUF-based security protocols for IoT devices: current progress, challenges, and future expectation. Computer, 54(11), 36-46.
- A privacy-aware reconfigurable authenticated key exchange scheme for secure communication in smart grids. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid.
- A blockchain based secure communication framework for community interaction. Journal of Information Security and Applications, 58.
- Design, analysis and implementation of a smart next generation secure shipping infrastructure using autonomous robot. Computer Networks, 187. View this article in WRRO
- ReCognizing SUspect and PredictiNg ThE SpRead of Contagion Based on Mobile Phone LoCation DaTa (COUNTERACT): A system of identifying COVID-19 infectious and hazardous sites, detecting disease outbreaks based on the internet of things, edge computing, and artificial intelligence. Sustainable Cities and Society, 69, 102798-102798.
- Security in 5G-enabled Internet of Things communication: issues, challenges, and future research roadmap. IEEE Access, 9, 4466-4489.
- SCBS: A Short Certificate-Based Signature Scheme with Efficient Aggregation for Industrial Internet of Things Environment. IEEE Internet of Things Journal, 1-1.
- Security in 5G-Enabled Internet of Things Communication: Issues, Challenges, and Future Research Roadmap.. IEEE Access, 9, 4466-4489.
- Intrusion Detection Systems in RPL-based 6LoWPAN: A Systematic Literature Review. IEEE Sensors Journal, 1-1.
- PrivHome: Privacy-Preserving Authenticated Communication in Smart Home Environment.. IEEE Trans. Dependable Secur. Comput., 18, 1095-1107.
- A Scalable Protocol Level Approach to Prevent Machine Learning Attacks on PUF-based Authentication Mechanisms for Internet-of-Medical-Things. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, 1-1.
- SCBS: A Short Certificate-Based Signature Scheme With Efficient Aggregation for Industrial-Internet-of-Things Environment.. IEEE Internet Things J., 8, 9305-9316.
- PF-DA: Pairing Free and Secure Data Aggregation for Energy Internet-based Smart Meter-to-Grid Communication. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid.
- SHARIF: Solid Pod-based Secured HealthcareInformation Storage and Exchange Solution in IoT. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics.
- A provably secure authentication scheme for RFID-enabled UAV applications. Computer Communications, 166, 19-25.
- An efficient blockchain-based authentication scheme for energy-trading in V2G networks. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics.
- An efficient privacy-preserving authenticated key agreement scheme for edge-assisted internet of drones. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology.
- A secure IoT-based modern healthcare system with fault-tolerant decision making process. IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics. View this article in WRRO
- PharmaCrypt : blockchain for critical pharmaceutical industry to counterfeit drugs. Computer, 53(7), 29-44. View this article in WRRO
- Bio-AKA: An efficient fingerprint based two factor user authentication and key agreement scheme. Future Generation Computer Systems, 109, 45-55.
- PMAKE : Privacy-aware multi-factor authenticated key establishment scheme for advance metering infrastructure in smart grid. Computer Communications. View this article in WRRO
- An Efficient Privacy-Friendly Hop-by-Hop Data Aggregation Scheme for Smart Grids. IEEE Systems Journal, 14(1), 343-352.
- Design and analysis of authenticated key agreement scheme in cloud-assisted cyber–physical systems. Future Generation Computer Systems, 108, 1267-1286.
- An efficient privacy-preserving authentication scheme for energy internet-based vehicle-to-grid communication. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, 10(6), 6607-6618. View this article in WRRO
- Lightweight and Physically Secure Anonymous Mutual Authentication Protocol for Real-Time Data Access in Industrial Wireless Sensor Networks. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, 15(9), 4957-4968.
- LAAP: Lightweight anonymous authentication protocol for D2D-Aided fog computing paradigm. Computers & Security, 86, 223-237. View this article in WRRO
- Privacy-Aware Authenticated Key Agreement Scheme for Secure Smart Grid Communication. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, 10(4), 3953-3962.
- Anonymity Preserving and Lightweight Multimedical Server Authentication Protocol for Telecare Medical Information System. IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics, 23(4), 1749-1759.
- Lightweight and privacy-friendly spatial data aggregation for secure power supply and demand management in smart grids. IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, 14(6), 1554-1566. View this article in WRRO
- PrivHome: Privacy-preserving authenticated communication in smart home environment. IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing. View this article in WRRO
- Anonymous Communications for Secure Device-to-Device-Aided Fog Computing: Architecture, Challenges, and Solutions. IEEE Consumer Electronics Magazine, 8(3), 10-16.
- Lightweight and privacy-preserving two-factor authentication scheme for IoT devices. IEEE Internet of Things, 6(1), 580-589. View this article in WRRO
- Anonymous mutual authentication with location privacy support for secure communication in M2M home network services. Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Humanized Computing, 10(1), 153-161.
- Lightweight and Practical Anonymous Authentication Protocol for RFID Systems Using Physically Unclonable Functions. IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, 13(11), 2831-2843.
- Lightweight and privacy-preserving RFID authentication scheme for distributed IoT infrastructure with secure localization services for smart city environment. Future Generation Computer Systems, 83, 629-637.
- Anonymous and expeditious mobile user authentication scheme for GLOMONET environments. International Journal of Communication Systems, 31(2), e3461-e3461.
- Efficient authentication protocol for secure multimedia communications in IoT-enabled wireless sensor networks. Multimedia Tools and Applications, 77(14), 18295-18325.
- An Efficient Data Aggregation Scheme for Privacy-Friendly Dynamic Pricing-Based Billing and Demand-Response Management in Smart Grids. IEEE Internet of Things Journal, 5(4), 3126-3135.
- Resilience of DoS Attacks in Designing Anonymous User Authentication Protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks. IEEE Sensors Journal, 17(2), 498-503.
- Enhanced secure mutual authentication and key agreement scheme with user anonymity in ubiquitous global mobility networks. Journal of Information Security and Applications, 35, 160-167.
- Robust Anonymous Mutual Authentication Scheme for
n-Times Ubiquitous Mobile Cloud Computing Services. IEEE Internet of Things Journal, 4(5), 1764-1772.
- IA-CTR: Integrity-Aware Conventional Counter Mode for Secure and Efficient Communication in Wireless Sensor Networks. Wireless Personal Communications, 94(3), 467-479.
- Multi-party semi-quantum key distribution-convertible multi-party semi-quantum secret sharing. Quantum Information Processing, 16(8).
- Multi-Party Quantum Private Comparison Protocol with an Almost-Dishonest Third Party using GHZ States. International Journal of Theoretical Physics, 55(6), 2969-2976.
- An Efficient Quantum Private Comparison of Equality over Collective-Noise Channels. International Journal of Theoretical Physics, 55(4), 2125-2138.
- BSN-Care: A Secure IoT-Based Modern Healthcare System Using Body Sensor Network. IEEE Sensors Journal, 16(5), 1368-1376.
- Faecal contamination of commuters’ hands in main vehicle stations in Dhaka city, Bangladesh. Transactions of The Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 110(6), 367-372.
- A Realistic Lightweight Anonymous Authentication Protocol for Securing Real-Time Application Data Access in Wireless Sensor Networks. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 63(11), 7124-7132.
- A Novel Reference Security Model with the Situation Based Access Policy for Accessing EPHR Data. Journal of Medical Systems, 40(11).
- RT-OCFB: Real-Time Based Optimized Cipher Feedback Mode. Cryptologia, 40(1), 1-14.
- PFC-CTR, PFC-OCB: Efficient stream cipher modes of authencryption. Cryptologia, 40(3), 285-302.
- PFX: an essence of authencryption for block-cipher security. Security and Communication Networks, 9(10), 1186-1197.
- Robust stream-cipher mode of authenticated encryption for secure communication in wireless sensor network. Security and Communication Networks, 9(7), 667-679.
- An efficient mutual authentication and key agreement scheme preserving strong anonymity of the mobile user in global mobility networks. Journal of Network and Computer Applications, 62, 1-8.
- Lightweight and Energy-Efficient Mutual Authentication and Key Agreement Scheme With User Anonymity for Secure Communication in Global Mobility Networks. IEEE Systems Journal, 10(4), 1370-1379.
- Untraceable Sensor Movement in Distributed IoT Infrastructure. IEEE Sensors Journal, 15(9), 5340-5348.
- Enhanced Secure Mutual Authentication and Key Agreement Scheme Preserving User Anonymity in Global Mobile Networks (vol 82, pg 2231, 2015). WIRELESS PERSONAL COMMUNICATIONS, 82(4), 2247-2247.
- Multi-party quantum private comparison with an almost-dishonest third party. Quantum Information Processing, 14(11), 4225-4235.
- Integrity-Aware Parallelizable Cipher Feedback Mode for Real-time Cryptography.. IACR Cryptol. ePrint Arch., 2015, 897-897.
- A realistic lightweight authentication protocol preserving strong anonymity for securing RFID system. Computers & Security, 55, 271-280.
- IAR-CTR and IAR-CFB: integrity aware real-time based counter and cipher feedback modes. Security and Communication Networks, 8(18), 3939-3952.
- Enhanced Secure Mutual Authentication and Key Agreement Scheme Preserving User Anonymity in Global Mobile Networks. Wireless Personal Communications, 82(4), 2231-2245.
- Erratum to: Enhanced Secure Mutual Authentication and Key Agreement Scheme Preserving User Anonymity in Global Mobile Networks. Wireless Personal Communications, 82(4), 2247-2247.
- Enhancement of Wettability of Aluminum Based Silicon Carbide Reinforced Particulate Metal Matrix Composite. High Temperature Materials and Processes, 0(0).
- Provably Secure Mutual Authentication and Key Exchange Scheme for Expeditious Mobile Communication Through Synchronously One-Time Secrets. Wireless Personal Communications, 77(1), 197-224.
- BACKM-EHA: A novel blockchain-enabled security solution for IoMT-based e-healthcare applications. ACM Transactions on Internet Technology.
- A Secure and Anonymous Communicate Scheme over the Internet of Things. ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks.
- Smart aging monitoring and early dementia recognition (SAMEDR): uncovering the hidden wellness parameter for preventive well-being monitoring to categorize cognitive impairment and dementia in community-dwelling elderly subjects through AI. Neural Computing and Applications.
- Smart Aging System: Uncovering the Hidden Wellness Parameter for Well-Being Monitoring and Anomaly Detection. Sensors, 19(4), 766-766.
- Smart Home Anti-Theft System: A Novel Approach for Near Real-Time Monitoring and Smart Home Security for Wellness Protocol. Applied System Innovation, 1(4), 42-42.
- Security Weaknesses on a Delegation-Based Authentication Protocol for PCSs. Information Technology And Control, 44(3).
- An Enhanced JPEG Steganography Scheme with Encryption Technique. International Journal of Computer and Electrical Engineering, 924-930.
- An enhanced secure delegation-based anonymous authentication protocol for PCSs. International Journal of Communication Systems, e4199-e4199.
- Smart Home Anti-Theft System: A Novel Approach for Near Real-Time Monitoring, Smart Home Security and Large Video Data Handling for Wellness Protocol.
- An efficient ambient intelligent–assisted people searching for Internet of Things–based health-care system, Assistive Technology for the Elderly (pp. 45-58). Elsevier
Conference proceedings papers
- Electricity Theft Detection in the Presence of Prosumers Using a Cluster-based Multi-feature Detection Model. 2021 IEEE International Conference on Communications, Control, and Computing Technologies for Smart Grids (SmartGridComm), 25 October 2021 - 28 October 2021. View this article in WRRO
- Reinforcement-Learning-based IDS for 6LoWPAN. 2021 IEEE 20th International Conference on Trust, Security and Privacy in Computing and Communications (TrustCom), 20 October 2021 - 22 October 2021.
- Message from the General Chairs. 2021 IEEE 20th International Conference on Trust, Security and Privacy in Computing and Communications (TrustCom), 20 October 2021 - 22 October 2021.
- An Efficient Privacy-Friendly Multi-Hop Data Aggregation Scheme for Smart Grids. 2019 IEEE Power & Energy Society Innovative Smart Grid Technologies Conference (ISGT), 18 February 2019 - 21 February 2019.
- A Lightweight and Privacy-Preserving Data Aggregation for Dynamic Pricing-based Billing in Smart Grids. 2018 IEEE PES Innovative Smart Grid Technologies Conference Europe (ISGT-Europe), 21 October 2018 - 25 October 2018.
- An Efficient Privacy-Preserving Dynamic Pricing-based Billing Scheme for Smart Grids. 2018 IEEE Conference on Communications and Network Security (CNS), 30 May 2018 - 1 June 2018.
- Issues and mitigation of attenuation and direction of arrival in wellness protocol to wireless sensors and networks based smart building. 2017 International conference of Electronics, Communication and Aerospace Technology (ICECA), 20 April 2017 - 22 April 2017.
- Forward/Backward Unforgeable Digital Signature Scheme Using Symmetric-Key Crypto-System. 2016 International Computer Symposium (ICS), 15 December 2016 - 17 December 2016.
- Forward/Backward Unforgeable Digital Signature Scheme Using Symmetric-Key Crypto-System. 2016 INTERNATIONAL COMPUTER SYMPOSIUM (ICS) (pp 244-247)
- Energy Efficient Mutual Authentication and Key Agreement Scheme with Strong Anonymity Support for Secure Ubiquitious Roaming Services. 2016 11th International Conference on Availability, Reliability and Security (ARES), 31 August 2016 - 2 September 2016.
- Security Weaknesses on a Mutual Authentication and Key Agreement Scheme in Global Mobile Networks. Computer Science & Information Technology ( CS & IT )
- Provably secure mutual authentication and key agreement scheme with user anonymity. 2013 9th International Conference on Information, Communications & Signal Processing, 10 December 2013 - 13 December 2013.
- An efficient cryptographic approach for secure policy based routing: (TACIT Encryption Technique). 2011 3rd International Conference on Electronics Computer Technology, 8 April 2011 - 10 April 2011.
- An Enhanced Round Robin Policy for Real Time Traffic (pp 44-50)
- X-MODDES (eXtended Multi Operator Delimiter Based Data Encryption Standard). 2010 Second International Conference on Future Networks, 22 January 2010 - 24 January 2010.
- A COMPARATIVE STUDY OF PERFORMANCE BASED CRYPTO ANALYSIS FEATURES FOR STANDARD DATA ENCRYPTION ALGORITHMS WITH (MODDES). Computer and Network Technology
- MULTI OPERATOR DELIMITER BASED DATA ENCRYPTION STANDARD (MODDES). Computer and Network Technology
Security of Digital Twins in Manufacturing, EPSRC, 03/2022-09/2024, £619,963, as Co-Investigator.
A provably secure modelling attack resilient PUF for hardware security of IoT devices, Royal Society, 03/2022 - 03/2023, £17,791, as PI
ATDPS: Adaptive Trojan Detection and Prevention Systems for Networks-on-Chips (NoCs), Innovate UK, 04/2022 - 07/2022, £22,316, as PI
- Professional activities
- Member of the Security of Advanced Systems Research Group
Editorial Board Member of the Following Journals:
- Associate Editor of the IEEE Internet of Things Journal
- Associate Editor of the IEEE Systems Journal
- Associate Editor of the IEEE Sensors Journal
- Associate Editor of the Security and Communication Networks
- Associate Editor of the Journal of Information Security and Applications (Elsevier)