Professor Craig Murdoch
BSc (Hons), PhD
School of Clinical Dentistry
Professor in Oral Bioscience
+44 114 215 9367
Full contact details
School of Clinical Dentistry
19 Claremont Crescent
I obtained my PhD in 1999 at the Institute of Child Health, University of Sheffield, then spent several years working as Post-Doctoral Research Associate in the Departments of Infection and Immunity, and Oncology at the University of Sheffield Medical School. I was appointed Lecturer at the School of Clinical Dentistry in 2006, Senior Lecturer in 2012, Reader in 2015 and then to Personal Chair in 2019.
- Research interests
My main interests are centered on the innate immune response in oral diseases, in particular head and neck cancer and host-pathogen interactions. I am particularly interested in how immune cells are recruited to tumour sites, how they interact with other cells in the tumour microenvironment, and how the factors that these cells secrete may affect tumour growth. As part of this research my group has developed novel in vitro 3-dimensional models of oral cancer. My research also includes use of tissue-engineered models of the oral mucosa and zebrafish infection models to study the role of oral microbes in mucosal and systemic disease. I am also involved with projects aimed at developing novel oral patches for oral mucosal drug delivery and non-invasive diagnostics for the detection and management of oral pre-malignant lesions.
- Role of innate immune cells in head and neck cancer progression.
- Development of tissue engineered immunocompetent oral mucosal and skin models.
- Host-pathogen interactions at the mucosal surface.
- Use of zebrafish to examine the role of oral microbes in systemic disease.
- Drug delivery and xenobiotic metabolising enzymes in skin and the oral mucosa.
Amy Harding (RA): Development and validation of tissue-engineered skin equivalents to detect stinging potential. (Rhoto) with Dr Helen Colley & Dr Simon Danby
- Incorporation of lysozyme into a mucoadhesive electrospun patch for rapid protein delivery to the oral mucosa. Materials Science and Engineering: C, 112. View this article in WRRO
- Multiscale modelling of drug transport and metabolism in liver spheroids. Interface Focus, 10(2). View this article in WRRO
- Point‐of‐care oral cytology tool for the screening and assessment of potentially malignant oral lesions. Cancer Cytopathology, 128(3), 207-220. View this article in WRRO
- Design of a nanostructured mucoadhesive system containing curcumin for buccal application : from physicochemical to biological aspects. Beilstein Journal of Nanotechnology, 10, 2304-2328. View this article in WRRO
- In silico-guided optimisation of oxygen gradients in hepatic spheroids. Computational Toxicology, 12, 100093-100093.
- Preparation of primary rat hepatocyte spheroids utilizing the liquid‐overlay technique. Current Protocols in Toxicology, 81(1). View this article in WRRO
- Identification of novel bacteriophages with therapeutic potential targeting Enterococcus faecalis. Infection and Immunity. View this article in WRRO
- Candidalysin is required for neutrophil recruitment and virulence during systemic Candida albicans infection. The Journal of Infectious Diseases. View this article in WRRO
- Oral candidal carriage correlates with CD4 + cell count but not with HIV and highly active antiretroviral therapy status. Journal of Investigative and Clinical Dentistry, 10(4).
- Attenuation of doxorubicin-induced cardiotoxicity in a human in vitro cardiac model by the induction of the NRF-2 pathway. BIOMEDICINE, 112. View this article in WRRO
- Haptoglobin expression in human colorectal cancer.. Cellular and molecular biology. View this article in WRRO
- Characterisation of a functional rat hepatocyte spheroid model. Toxicology in Vitro, 55, 160-172. View this article in WRRO
- The IL-1/IL-1R axis induces greater fibroblast-derived chemokine release in human papillomavirus-negative compared to positive oropharyngeal cancer. International Journal of Cancer, 144(2), 334-344. View this article in WRRO
- Pre-clinical evaluation of novel mucoadhesive bilayer patches for local delivery of clobetasol-17-propionate to the oral mucosa. Biomaterials, 178, 134-146. View this article in WRRO
- Oral human papillomavirus infection in England and associated risk factors: a case-control study.. BMJ Open, 8(8). View this article in WRRO
- A Combined In Vitro/In Silico Approach to Identifying Off-Target Receptor Toxicity. iScience, 4, 84-96. View this article in WRRO
- Methyl-donor depletion of head and neck cancer cells in vitro establishes a less aggressive tumour cell phenotype. European Journal of Nutrition, 57(4), 1321-1332. View this article in WRRO
- Impact of cell types and culture methods on the functionality of in vitro liver systems – A review of cell systems for hepatotoxicity assessment. Toxicology in Vitro, 48, 262-275. View this article in WRRO
- Use of a Rho kinase inhibitor to increase human tonsil keratinocyte longevity for three-dimensional, tissue engineered tonsil epithelium equivalents. Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, 12(3), e1636-e1646. View this article in WRRO
- Cooling of the oral mucosa to prevent adverse effects of chemotherapeutic agents - an in vitro study.. Journal of Oral Pathology and Medicine. View this article in WRRO
- HPV-negative, but not HPV-positive, oropharyngeal carcinomas induce fibroblasts to support tumour invasion through micro-environmental release of HGF and IL-6. Carcinogenesis, 39(2), 170-179. View this article in WRRO
- Denture-associated biofilm infection in three-dimensional oral mucosal tissue models. Journal of Medical Microbiology. View this article in WRRO
- Expression and enzyme activity of cytochrome P450 enzymes CYP3A4 and CYP3A5 in human skin and tissue-engineered skin equivalents. Experimental Dermatology. View this article in WRRO
- In silico prediction of skin metabolism and its implication in toxicity assessment. Computational Toxicology, 3, 44-57. View this article in WRRO
- Fabrication of Electrospun Mucoadhesive Membranes for Therapeutic Applications in Oral Medicine. ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 9(13), 11557-11567. View this article in WRRO
- Role of OmpA2 surface regions of Porphyromonas gingivalis in host–pathogen interactions with oral epithelial cells. MicrobiologyOpen, 6(1). View this article in WRRO
- Development and characterisation of in vitro human oral mucosal equivalents derived from immortalised oral keratinocytes. Tissue Engineering Part C: Methods, 22(2), 1108-1117. View this article in WRRO
- Zebrafish as a new model to study effects of periodontal pathogens on cardiovascular diseases.. Scientific Reports, 6, 36023-36023. View this article in WRRO
- ‘Cytology-on-a-chip’ based sensors for monitoring of potentially malignant oral lesions. Oral Oncology, 60, 103-111. View this article in WRRO
- Human papillomavirus status and the microenvironment in oropharyngeal carcinoma; determinants of invasion and potential therapeutics. European Journal of Cancer, 61, S60-S60.
- Characterization of a functional C3A liver spheroid model. Toxicology Research, 5, 1053-1065. View this article in WRRO
- Interobserver agreement in dysplasia grading: toward an enhanced gold standard for clinical pathology trials. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology, 120(4), 474-482.e2. View this article in WRRO
- Directing cell therapy to anatomic target sites in vivo with magnetic resonance targeting. Nature Communications, 6. View this article in WRRO
- Imaging of 3D Tissue-Engineered Models of Oral Cancer Using 890 and 1300 nm Optical Coherence Tomography. Sovremennye tehnologii v medicine, 7(1), 60-68. View this article in WRRO
- Use of electrical impedance spectroscopy to detect malignant and potentially malignant oral lesions. International Journal of Nanomedicine, 9, 4521-4532. View this article in WRRO
- Polymersome-mediated delivery of combination anticancer therapy to head and neck cancer cells: 2D and 3D in vitro evaluation.. Mol Pharm, 11(4), 1176-1188.
- Characterisation and optimisation of organotypic oral mucosal models to study Porphyromonas gingivalis invasion.. Microbes Infect, 16(4), 310-319.
- Combined mathematical modelling and experimentation to predict polymersome uptake by oral cancer cells. Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology and Medicine, 10(2), 339-348. View this article in WRRO
- Macrophage-mediated response to hypoxia in disease. Hypoxia, 2, 185-196. View this article in WRRO
- Polymersome-mediated intracellular delivery of antibiotics to treat Porphyromonas gingivalis-infected oral epithelial cells.. FASEB J, 27(11), 4455-4465.
- Gingipain-dependent degradation of mammalian target of rapamycin pathway proteins by the periodontal pathogen Porphyromonas gingivalis during invasion.. Mol Oral Microbiol, 28(5), 366-378. View this article in WRRO
- Use of Impedance Spectroscopy to Detect Potentially Malignant Oral Lesions. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology, 116(3), e201-e201.
- Tissue-engineered oral mucosa to study radiotherapy-induced oral mucositis.. Int J Radiat Biol, 89(11), 907-914.
- Differential virulence of Candida glabrata glycosylation mutants.. J Biol Chem, 288(30), 22006-22018.
- Neutrophil-mediated tumour angiogenesis: subversion of immune responses to promote tumour growth.. Semin Cancer Biol, 23(3), 149-158.
- A cellular automaton model examining the effects of oxygen, hydrogen ions and lactate on early tumour growth. Journal of Mathematical Biology, 69(4), 839-873.
- Cigarette smoke condensate promotes pro-tumourigenic stromal-epithelial interactions by suppressing miR-145.. J Oral Pathol Med, 42(4), 309-314.
- Distribution of TAM relative to blood vessels in prostate carcinoma. Egyptian Journal of Pathology, 32(2), 217-226. View this article in WRRO
- Tissue-engineered oral mucosa.. J Dent Res, 91(7), 642-650.
- Evaluating the use of optical coherence tomography for the detection of epithelial cancers in vitro.. J Biomed Opt, 16(11), 116015. View this article in WRRO
- Candida albicans adhesin Als3p is dispensable for virulence in the mouse model of disseminated candidiasis.. Microbiology, 157(Pt 6), 1806-1815.
- Angiopoietin 2 stimulates TIE2-expressing monocytes to suppress T cell activation and to promote regulatory T cell expansion.. J Immunol, 186(7), 4183-4190.
- Inhibition of neutrophil infiltration into A549 lung tumors in vitro and in vivo using a CXCR2-specific antagonist is associated with reduced tumor growth.. Int J Cancer, 129(4), 847-858.
- Use of macrophages to target therapeutic adenovirus to human prostate tumors.. Cancer Res, 71(5), 1805-1815.
- Khat (Catha edulis) alters the phenotype and anti-microbial activity of peripheral blood mononuclear cells. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 138(3), 780-787.
- Development of tissue-engineered models of oral dysplasia and early invasive oral squamous cell carcinoma. British Journal of Cancer, 105(10), 1582-1592. View this article in WRRO
- Evaluation of tissue engineered models of the oral mucosa to investigate oral candidiasis. Microbial Pathogenesis, 50(6), 278-285. View this article in WRRO
- Pneumolysin-induced CXCL8 production by nasopharyngeal epithelial cells is dependent on calcium flux and MAPK activation via Toll-like receptor 4. Microbes and Infection, 13(1), 65-75.
- Internalization and biodistribution of polymersomes into oral squamous cell carcinoma cells in vitro and in vivo.. Nanomedicine (Lond), 5(7), 1025-1036.
- Pseudohyphal regulation by the transcription factor Rfg1p in Candida albicans.. Eukaryot Cell, 9(9), 1363-1373.
- Angiopoietin-2 regulates gene expression in TIE2-expressing monocytes and augments their inherent proangiogenic functions.. Cancer Res, 70(13), 5270-5280.
- Functional expression of the chemokine receptor XCR1 on oral epithelial cells.. J Pathol, 221(2), 153-163. View this article in WRRO
- Adhesion of Candida albicans to endothelial cells under physiological conditions of flow.. Infect Immun, 77(9), 3872-3878.
- Hypoxia-inducible factors 1 and 2 are important transcriptional effectors in primary macrophages experiencing hypoxia.. Blood, 114(4), 844-859.
- Diffusion studies of nanometer polymersomes across tissue engineered human oral mucosa.. Pharm Res, 26(7), 1718-1728.
- Neutrophils: key mediators of tumour angiogenesis.. Int J Exp Pathol, 90(3), 222-231.
- Candida albicans-endothelial cell interactions: a key step in the pathogenesis of systemic candidiasis.. Infect Immun, 76(10), 4370-4377.
- The role of myeloid cells in the promotion of tumour angiogenesis.. Nat Rev Cancer, 8(8), 618-631.
- Hypoxia-induced secretion of macrophage migration-inhibitory factor from MCF-7 breast cancer cells is regulated in a hypoxia-inducible factor-independent manner. CANCER LETT, 265(2), 239-249.
- A novel magnetic approach to enhance the efficacy of cell-based gene therapies.. Gene Ther, 15(12), 902-910.
- Plasticity in tumor-promoting inflammation: Impairment of macrophage recruitment evokes a compensatory neutrophil response. Neoplasia, 10(4), 329-339.
- Effects of hypoxia on transcription factor expression in human monocytes and macrophages.. Immunobiology, 213(9-10), 899-908.
- Tie2-expressing monocytes: regulation of tumor angiogenesis and therapeutic implications. TRENDS IMMUNOL, 28(12), 519-524.
- Macrophage-based anti-cancer therapy: Modelling different modes of tumour targeting. B MATH BIOL, 69(5), 1747-1776.
- Expression of Tie-2 by human monocytes and their responses to angiopoietin-2. J.Immunol., 178(11), 7405-7411.
- Age-dependent association of human mannose-binding lectin mutations with susceptibility to invasive meningococcal disease in childhood. PEDIATR INFECT DIS J, 26(3), 243-246.
- Human Toll-like receptor 4 mutations are associated with susceptibility to invasive meningococcal disease in infancy. PEDIATR INFECT DIS J, 25(1), 80-81.
- Macrophage migration and gene expression in response to tumor hypoxia.. Int J Cancer, 117(5), 701-708.
- Hypoxia regulates macrophage functions in inflammation.. J Immunol, 175(10), 6257-6263.
- Macrophage responses to hypoxia: implications for tumor progression and anti-cancer therapies.. Am J Pathol, 167(3), 627-635.
- Mechanisms regulating the recruitment of macrophages into hypoxic areas of tumors and other ischemic tissues.. Blood, 104(8), 2224-2234.
- Mucosal immune responses to capsular pneumococcal polysaccharides in immunized preschool children and controls with similar nasal pneumococcal colonization rates.. Pediatr Infect Dis J, 23(4), 307-313.
- Pneumococcal nasopharyngeal carriage in children following heptavalent pneumococcal conjugate vaccination in infancy.. Arch Dis Child, 88(3), 211-214.
- Choline-binding protein A of Streptococcus pneumoniae elicits chemokine production and expression of intercellular adhesion molecule 1 (CD54) by human alveolar epithelial cells.. J Infect Dis, 186(9), 1253-1260.
- Uropathogenic Escherichia coli-induced neutrophil adhesion to urinary epithelium is strain-specific and mediated by CD11b/CD18.. Urol Res, 29(2), 102-107.
- CXCR4: chemokine receptor extraordinaire.. Immunol Rev, 177, 175-184.
- Chemokine receptors and their role in inflammation and infectious diseases.. Blood, 95(10), 3032-3043.
- Chemokine receptors and their role in vascular biology.. J Vasc Res, 37(1), 1-7.
- Functional expression of chemokine receptor CXCR4 on human epithelial cells.. Immunology, 98(1), 36-41.
- Cxc chemokine receptor expression on human endothelial cells.. Cytokine, 11(9), 704-712.
- Chemokines induce the cellular migration of MCF-7 human breast carcinoma cells: Subpopulations of tumour cells display positive and negative chemotaxis and differential in vivo growth potentials. CLIN EXP METASTAS, 17(5), 389-396.
- Chemokine and chemoattractant receptor expression on human endothelial cells. Immunology Letters, 56, 101-101.
- Mucoadhesive electrospun patch delivery of lidocaine to the oral mucosa and investigation of spatial distribution in tissue using MALDI mass spectrometry imaging. Molecular Pharmaceutics. View this article in WRRO
- The Role of HOXB9 and miR-196a in Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma. PLOS ONE, 10(4), e0122285-e0122285. View this article in WRRO
- Tissue-engineered models of oral soft tissue diseases, Biomaterials for Oral and Dental Tissue Engineering (pp. 245-255). Elsevier
- List of contributors, Biomaterials for Oral and Dental Tissue Engineering (pp. xiii-xvii). Elsevier
- The role of chemokines in sepsis and septic shock. (pp. 38-57).
Conference proceedings papers
- Novel Bilayer Mucoadhesive Patches for Delivery of Clobetasol-17-Propionate to the Oral Mucosa to Treat Oral Lichen Planus; an in Vitro and in Vivo Evaluation. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology, Vol. 126(4) (pp e204-e204) View this article in WRRO
- Vaginal epithelial cells co-cultured with Lactobacillus and anaerobes differentially express acetate and CXCL8. BJOG-AN INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF OBSTETRICS AND GYNAECOLOGY, Vol. 125 (pp 90-90)
- Cervicovaginal Epithelial Cells Differentially Express Acetate and CXCL8 in Co-Culture with Preterm Birth-Associated Bacteria and Protective Lactobacillus Species.. REPRODUCTIVE SCIENCES, Vol. 25 (pp 187A-187A)
- Defining skin xenobiotic metabolism using a combined in vitro/in silico approach. APPLIED IN VITRO TOXICOLOGY, Vol. 4(1), 23 November 2017 - 24 November 2017. View this article in WRRO
- Mathematical modelling predicts the spatial distribution of metabolism in skin. European Cells and Materials, Vol. 32 (pp 96-96)
- Pre-clinical evaluation of novel electrospun patches for intra-oral drug delivery. Oral Diseases((Suppl. 2)) (pp 10-13), 15 September 2016 - 17 September 2016. View this article in WRRO
- Novel electrospun bioadhesive oral patches for mucosal drug delivery. Oral Diseases, Vol. 22(S2) (pp 11-11), 15 September 2016 - 17 September 2016. View this article in WRRO
- Development of macrophage-containing in vitro 3D models of oral cancer. Oral Diseases, Vol. 22(S2) (pp 10-11), 15 September 2016 - 17 September 2016. View this article in WRRO
- Role of scavenger receptors in oral keratinocyte biology. Oral Diseases, Vol. 22 (pp 10-10) View this article in WRRO
- Adhesion and acceptability of novel oral patches in human volunteers. Oral Diseases, Vol. 22(S2) (pp 19-19), 15 September 2016 - 17 September 2016. View this article in WRRO
- Human papillomavirus status and the microenvironment in oropharyngeal carcinoma; determinants of invasion and potential therapeutics. EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF CANCER, Vol. 61 (pp S60-S60)
- View this article in WRRO Isolation and immortalisation of tonsillar keratinocytes for three-dimensional tissue engineered tonsil mucosal models. European Cells and Materials, Vol. 31(Suppl 1) (pp 20-20), 28 June 2016 - 1 July 2016.
- 1300 nm and 890 nm OCT images of oral cancer tissue engineered models and biopsy samples offer complimentary performance (Conference Presentation). Photonic Therapeutics and Diagnostics XII, 13 February 2016 - 18 February 2016.
- The Effect of Relaxin-2 and Tissue Inhibitors of Matrix Metalloproteinase-2 (TIMP-2) on the Expression Levels of Matrix Metalloproteinase-2 (MMP-2) by Co-Incubation of Endometrial Stromal and Trophoblast Cell Lines.. REPRODUCTIVE SCIENCES, Vol. 23 (pp 335A-335A)
- Development and characterisation of a functional 3D liver spheroid model. Toxicology Letters, Vol. 238(2) (pp S176-S176)
- Using 3-D Models To Investigate Trophoblast-Endometrial Interactions In Vitro. REPRODUCTIVE SCIENCES, Vol. 22 (pp 226A-226A)
- Abstract 2091: Metastatic oral cancer cell adhesion to vascular and lymphatic endothelial cells is sialyl Lewis A/X-dependent. Tumor Biology
- The role of HOX genes in Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma (HNSCC). VIRCHOWS ARCHIV, Vol. 463(2) (pp 177-177)
- The role of miR-196a and HOXB9 in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF CANCER, Vol. 49 (pp S121-S121)
- Sialyl Lewis A and sialyl Lewis X antigens mediate oral cancer cell binding to recombinant E-selectin and TNF-alpha-stimulated endothelial cells. EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF CANCER, Vol. 49 (pp S134-S134)
- OP175. Oral Oncology, Vol. 49 (pp S70-S70)
- Tissue engineered models of oral disease for the study of a novel drug delivery system. ORAL DISEASES, Vol. 18
- CXCL12/CXCR4 axis mediates recruitment of monocytes to oral cancer spheroids. ORAL DISEASES, Vol. 18 (pp 8-8)
- Non-invasive lab-on-a-chip characterization of potentially malignant oral disorders. ORAL DISEASES, Vol. 18 (pp 4-4)
- Polymersomes - a Novel Drug Delivery System for the Delivery of Chemotherapeutic Agents to Oral Cancer Cells. EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF CANCER, Vol. 48 (pp S254-S254)
- Investigation of Raman Spectroscopy and Optical Coherence Tomography to Aid in Diagnosis of Oral Cancer. EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF CANCER, Vol. 48 (pp S287-S287)
- Using zebrafish as an in vivo model to study Candida albicans-mediated systemic candidiasis. MYCOSES, Vol. 55 (pp 11-11)
- Development of a static adhesion assay to identify host proteins exploited by Candida albicans. MYCOSES, Vol. 55 (pp 303-303)
- Abstract 4918: Modeling polymersome delivery of anticancer therapeutics. Molecular and Cellular Biology
- Engineering macrophages to synthesize recombinant adenoviruses in hypoxic areas of human prostate tumours. DRUG DISCOVERY TODAY, Vol. 15(23-24) (pp 1097-1098)
- Atherosclerosis and oral health: mechanisms for P.gingivalis survival in endothelial-cells. Oral Diseases, Vol. 16 (pp 516-516)
- Using tissue-engineered oral cancer models to evaluate non-invasive diagnostic technologies. ORAL DIS, Vol. 16(6) (pp 518-518)
- Using polymersomes to deliver chemotherapeutic agents to oral cancer cells. ORAL DIS, Vol. 16(6) (pp 527-527)
- In vitro modelling of oral and vaginal candidiasis host-pathogen interactions. ORAL DIS, Vol. 16(6) (pp 517-517)
- Hypoxia inducible factors 1 and 2 are important transcriptional effectors in primary macrophages experiencing sustained hypoxia. EJC SUPPLEMENTS, Vol. 8(5) (pp 77-77)
- Engineering Macrophages to Synthesize Recombinant Adenoviruses in Hypoxic Areas of Human Prostate Tumours. HUMAN GENE THERAPY, Vol. 21(4) (pp 488-488)
- Synthesized polymer vesicles as antibiotic delivery vehicles for treating intracellular porphyromonas gingivalis. Proceedings of the IASTED International Conference on Nanotechnology and Applications, NANA 2010 (pp 559-564)
- The development of in vitro models of squamous cell carcinoma of the oral mucosa - From mild dysplasia to an expanding carcinoma. ORAL ONCOLOGY (pp 160-160)
- Penetration of polymersome drug and gene delivery nanoparticles into in vitro models of head and neck cancer and tissue engineered oral mucosa. ORAL ONCOLOGY (pp 66-66)
- Hypoxia-induced secretion of CXCL12 by head and neck tumour spheroids mediates infiltration of monocytes by a CXCR4-dependent mechanism. ORAL ONCOLOGY (pp 68-68)
- Imaging of polymersome penetration into 3D tissue engineered models of oral mucosa and head and neck cancer. European Cells and Materials, Vol. 16(SUPPL. 3) (pp 58)
- Magnetite nanoparticle-loaded macrophages enhance gene delivery to tumours. IMMUNOLOGY, Vol. 120 (pp 82-82)
- Microenvironmental signals regulating the tumour-promoting functions of macrophages: role of hypoxia and necrotic debris. JOURNAL OF LEUKOCYTE BIOLOGY (pp 56-56)
- Radiation, hypoxia and chemotherapy-mediated gene therapy and the potential for tumour delivery via macrophages. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF RADIATION ONCOLOGY BIOLOGY PHYSICS, Vol. 63(2) (pp S137-S137)
- Effect of hepatavalent conjugate pneumococcal vaccine in infancy and booster polysaccharide vaccine at 13 months on nasopharyngeal carriage of S-pneumoniae in children aged 2 to 4 years. CLIN INFECT DIS, Vol. 33(7) (pp 1148-1148)
- CXC chemokine receptor expression on human endothelial cells. J VASC RES, Vol. 35(5) (pp 388-388)
- Leukocyte chemoattractant receptor expression on endothelial and epithelial cells. IMMUNOLOGY, Vol. 89 (pp OM115-OM115)
- Analysis of the endothelial panel reactivity against the type II alveolar epithelial cell line, A549.. TISSUE ANTIGENS, Vol. 48(4-II) (pp EC216-EC216)
- Research group
- Cher Farrugia: Use of in vitro and in vivo zebrafish embryo infection models to investigate the role of oral microorganisms in cardiovascular disease. (co-supervisor: Dr Graham Stafford, University Faculty Studentship)
- Bethany Ollington: Immune-competent tissue engineered oral mucosal models to investigate xenobiotic metabolism. (co-supervisor: Dr Helen Colley, DiMeN MRC Studentship)
- Inmaculada Barragan Vazquez: Tissue engineered modelling of atopic dermatitis (co-supervisors: Dr Helen Colley & Dr Simon Danby, Almirall S.A. funded PhD Studentship)
- Asma El-Howati: Tissue engineered oral inflammatory lesions (lead supervisor: Dr Helen Colley, Funded by Libyan Government Scholarship)
- Klaudia Slowik: The role of metabolising enzymes in drug delivery for prevention of alveolar osteitis. (lead supervisor: Dr Helen Colley, EPSRC Funded Studentship)
- Jake Edmans: Peptide delivery using electrospun mucoadhesive patches (lead supervisor: Dr Helen Colley, EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Polymers and Soft Matter)
- Asmaa Zanki: Fabrication of dentures with anti-fungal properties by additive manufacturing. (lead supervisor: Prof. Paul Hatton - Funded by Kuwait Government Scholarship)
- Teaching activities
Undergraduate teaching modules:
Bachelor of Dental Surgery:
- DEN103 - The Human Body
- DEN204 - Basic Oral & Dental Care
- DEN304 - Integrated Human Disease
- DEN504 - Oral Disease
- MEDU01 - Immunology
Post-Graduate Taught Course:
- DEN616 – Tissue Engineering & Regenerative Dentistry (module lead) taught to both MSc in Dental Materials Science and MMedSci in Diagnostic Oral Pathology
- OCP604 – MSc(Res) Translational Oncology (Chemokines in Cancer)
PGT research projects regularly supervised for MSc Dental Materials Science, MMedSci in Diagnostic Oral Pathology, MSc Molecular Medicine and MSc(Res) Translational Oncology.
- Professional activities
- British Association for Cancer Research National Executive Committee Member (2017 - present).
- National Centre for the Replacement Refinement and Reduction of Animals (NC3R) Studentship Grant Review Board Member (2016 - present).
- PlosOne Academic Editor (2015 - present).
- Associate Editor Frontiers in Oral Health