Dr Robert Bolt
BDS (Hons), MFDS, MBChB (Hons), MClinRes, PhD, MOralSurg, ISFE
School of Clinical Dentistry
Clinical Lecturer, Specialist in Oral Surgery
Director of the “One-to-One” implant course
+44 114 215 9372
Full contact details
School of Clinical Dentistry
19 Claremont Crescent
Dr. Robert Bolt is a Clinical Lecturer and registered Specialist in Oral Surgery. He is both medically and dentally qualified and is Director of the University of Sheffield’s “One-to-One" dental implantology course. Dr. Bolt completed a PhD relating to the role of the microenvironment in the management of HPV-related oropharyngeal carcinoma in 2015, and continues to work in both clinical and in-vitro fields of research.
Dr. Bolt’s interests include dental implantology, HPV-related oropharyngeal carcinoma, 3D tissue culture modelling, pre- & peri-operative anxiety management, and bone augmentation.
- Research interests
Dr. Bolt was successful in being awarded a joint Yorkshire Cancer Research/ Cancer Research UK Clinical Research Fellowship in 2012, from which he received the Senior Colgate Prize for work relating to his PhD in 2015. He is currently working alongside Dr. Keith Hunter in the cohort analysis of HPV-related oropharyngeal carcinomas. He is also co-investigator in the HTA MAGIC trial, and recently secured an FDS grant with Dr. Stuart Hunt for the analysis of salivary vesicles in relation to cancers of the Head & Neck region.
- Stakeholder perspectives on barriers and enablers to recruiting anxious children undergoing day surgery under general anaesthetic: a qualitative internal pilot study of the MAGIC randomised controlled trial. Trials, 22(1).
- DIFFERENCES IN STROMAL FEATURES AND CYTOKINE PRODUCTION IN HPV+ AND HPV− OPSCCS ARE ASSOCIATED WITH CLINICAL OUTCOME. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology, 132(1), e20-e20.
- The Use of Coronectomy to Manage Symptomatic Mandibular Third Molars: Techniques, Pitfalls and Suggested Guidelines. Dental Update, 48(3), 217-223.
- Increased abundance of tumour-associated neutrophils in HPV-negative compared to HPV-positive oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma is mediated by IL-1R signalling. Frontiers in Oral Health, 2. View this article in WRRO
- Patient narratives of orthognathic treatment for facial asymmetry: a qualitative study. British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. View this article in WRRO
- The impact of wrong‐site surgery on dental undergraduate teaching: a survey of UK dental schools. European Journal of Dental Education.
- Research group
- 3rd Supervisor: Sarmad Al-Sahaf
- 3rd Supervisor: Naeima Hendawi
- Teaching activities
- Director of “One-to-One” postgraduate implant course
- IHD Problem Based Learning subcourse lead
- Lead clinician for undergraduate dental implantology lecture series
- BODC lecturer
- 2nd BDS Exodontia Subcourse lead
- Professional activities
Dr. Bolt’s chief clinical interests relate to complex dental implantology, including Guided Bone Regeneration techniques, sinus surgery and the use of more extensive grafting techniques in the management of significant bony defects. Dr. Bolt also has an interest in dental sedation and video capture of surgery for means of student teaching